Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2017, 11:42   #1

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Pirates near Red Sea

We are planning to head from Singapore to the Med next year (Jan to March) ... what is the latest updates on pirate activity near Somalia?
ACooee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 11:50   #2

Boat: Currently in between
Re: Pirates near Red Sea

Here is a good source to do your research:

http://noonsite
Old 29-08-2017, 11:52   #3

Better yet, here is the page on Somalia:

Somalia —
Old 29-08-2017, 13:49   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Here's a blog on smaller sail boat that went through earlier this year
https://turtlemail.blogspot.com
Old 30-08-2017, 07:14   #5

Boat: Com-Pac Eclipse
Unhappy Re: Pirates near Red Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Here is a good source to do your research:

http://noonsite

Link is down
NCGunDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 09:29   #6

Boat: FP Helia 44

I have a friend sailing through the Suez and Redsea this year, I believe they will have armed security onboard (a thriving business at the moment)
I will be keen to get an update from him after the passage.
We will cross the safe route to the Caribbean and beyond.
Jeffrey Oc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 09:56   #7

Cool Re: Pirates near Red Sea

Have you considered shipping your boat from Singapore to Med? Of course I appreciate it is expensive, BUT you don't have to worry about pirates, wear and tear on the boat and fuel costs. This is a very difficult journey and although you may been highly experienced it is probably one of the most arduous journeys in the world to undertake. There's also the Yemen to consider which is (was) an important pitstop,if only for fuel--now probably 'off limits' The passage up the Red Sea is also often lousy with mainly headwinds, lots of hazards,including capped off oil drill pipes and the Saudi coastline mostly also 'off limits' too. Even Egypt is hard work with all the 'Backshees' often payable and the canal costs.
I'd think extremly carefully before deciding on this trip!
If it's (the info) of any use to you I have just shipped my Trawler yacht from Singapore to Fethiye,Turkey.( Plus the 1550 miles down from Manila to Singapore in Feb/March) Yes, expensive, but the Red Sea passage wasn't an option anyway in this boat.
Having known and been close to several of the folk who have been captured by pirates in the Philippines I know firsthand how devastating this situation can be on the people themselves and of course their loved ones. Our German neighbours in Palawan got captured and were held for 14 months, then there were the folk who got captured in Davao,(some lost their lives!!!)
Anyway,enough said-----do give the sea passage very serious thought and let me know if you'd like some of my shipping news.
const0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 12:44   #8

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Can you kindly give us some specifics on the cost of shipping?
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 13:51   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Its not just Somalia but Yemen that is the real problem at the moment.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 15:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGunDude View Post
Link is down
Hmmm, sorry it isn't working for you. Still works for me, even my link in your post.
Old 30-08-2017, 16:52   #11

Cost of shipping depends on size of vessel, pickup and drop off point current fuel costs and to an extent your negotiating skills.
We've used 7 Star for shipment of our 40 footer from Med. to East coast of OZ at end of 2016.
The cost then was about $800 US per foot. Costly, but worth it under the circumstances.
Good luck. Peter
Petros13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 17:41   #12

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros13 View Post
We've used 7 Star for shipment of our 40 footer from Med. to East coast of OZ at end of 2016.
The cost then was about $800 US per foot. Costly, but worth it under the circumstances.
Good luck. Peter
OUCH. For that price do you at least get a cabin on the ship with meals and drinks?
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 20:12   #13

For the period 2013-2016 there was a zero reported incident rate with crossings into the Red Sea (mainly due to the War ships and the Corridor provided to pass the high risk area, From the middle of 2016 to present there have been half a dozen incidents (mainly larger vessels) , possibility as there's only a few yachts crossing every year when compared to earlier years,

The ones that do are mainly crossing in a convoy situation and have reported some scary incidents but no attacks per say, others employ security guards (mainly Israeli) but to note if you stop any where with these Israeli's on board you will be badly received and probably given the (get out of town message)

Saying that stopping off in the natural harbors (Marsa's) is magic stuff, just be careful as some are off limits due to Egyptian Army posts.

This is a good up to date link (Sailing Directions for Red Sea) which covers the whole deal from Safety to Harbors etchttps://msi.nga.mil/MSISiteContent/StaticFiles/NAV_PUBS/SD/Pub172/Pub172bk.pdf

Cheers Steve
Captsteve53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 23:23   #14

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captsteve53 View Post
For the period 2013-2016 there was a zero reported incident rate with crossings into the Red Sea (mainly due to the War ships and the Corridor provided to pass the high risk area, From the middle of 2016 to present there have been half a dozen incidents (mainly larger vessels) , possibility as there's only a few yachts crossing every year when compared to earlier years,

The ones that do are mainly crossing in a convoy situation and have reported some scary incidents but no attacks per say, others employ security guards (mainly Israeli) but to note if you stop any where with these Israeli's on board you will be badly received and probably given the (get out of town message)

Saying that stopping off in the natural harbors (Marsa's) is magic stuff, just be careful as some are off limits due to Egyptian Army posts.

This is a good up to date link (Sailing Directions for Red Sea) which covers the whole deal from Safety to Harbors etchttps://msi.nga.mil/MSISiteContent/StaticFiles/NAV_PUBS/SD/Pub172/Pub172bk.pdf

Cheers Steve
The link I gave above to a blog of a small boat traveling through the Red Sea earlier this year contradicts your statement about guards and convoys. They mention at at least two other boats who went through like them, a single boat with no guards.
I'm not advocating taking a cruising boat through the Red Sea, just trying to help get some facts out.
Old 31-08-2017, 01:33   #15

"taxwizz" The cost for my boat; a wide 42 ft Trawler yacht was £33,000 with Sevenstar,a cost I agree is a lot of money. This was from Singapore to Fethiye. There were also some port costs in Singapore of £1,500 as the rules and regs.there are amazing. Just checking in to Singapore is now quite a paperwork job!! The cost of port charges in Fethiye was £500 and simple by comparison to Singapore. There are no facilities offered for crew on the ships to travel with the yacht unless it's a superyacht of about 90ft. As the ships schedule is liable to change somewhat due to loading and weather etc we got to Singapore in plenty of time and rested up in Senibong marina on the Malaysia side opposite Singapore which was very reasonable and a very nice marina with plenty of shopping and restaurants nearby and not far away. To be honest the rules and regs associated with Singapore left me feeling that we wished we'd gone up to Phuket where port costs are far less, to load onboard but after the 1550 miles from Manila we didn't really fancy another 700 miles northbound which would have had to follow almost straight after we'd got to Singapore to keep up with the ships schedule. As our loading onto the ship was actually the day we had booked our flight out of Singapore it was extremly hectic but the loadmasters were superb and couldn't be faulted and took great care with loading and securing the boat. She also arrived in Turkey very clean after the trip as the'd washed off all the boats (more than once) on the way. I was the only boat loaded in Singapore but there were many loaded in Phuket,including a very large Turkish gulet. This loading took several days. To keep up with the ships movements from Japan we loaded an App to track progress of arrival into Singapore and then onwards towards Turkey. This helped a lot to plan my flight to Turkey to meet the ship and be there for unloading (costly if you're not there to unload & take your yacht to a marina etc for clearance) Shipping agents at both ports were part of the fee to assist with paperwork and clearance in/out. The voyage from Phuket to Turkey was a month and we've now based the boat in Kas marina (absolutely superb)until next season when we will explore the western part of Turkey. A long stay in Turkey, if required, is reasonably easy by applying for a Residents visa before the e-visa runs out. This was granted for 2 years (boat non Vat) so simplifies a longer stay. My partner is Asian so only gets 30 days! Kas marina staff we extreemly helpful in doing the application for the Residents visas and made no charge for nearly a days work on computer etc!!!! Beware some 'agents' overcharging for this service, there was an article on this subject on CF only a few days ago.
Hope this helps and cost not too much of a shock!! David
const0022 is offline   Reply With Quote