Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2014, 06:52   #1

passage from Cheasapeake to Bahamas

Hi Folks, please help a French man navigate your waters.

I need to take my 45 ft. sailboat to Panama from the Chesapeake, and I intend to go through the Bahamas and the Windward Passage. I have little time for this journey so I will go straight from the Chesapeake to Eleuthera or San Salvador.

I've made my plan using pilot charts but I would like to get some advice and hear from people that have experienced this route.

It will happen at the very end of march.

I intend to go ESE (like heading for Bermuda) from the Bay until I get out of the Gulf Stream (around 12-13W according to the pilot chart), then head SSO in the direction of Eleuthera. I don't have time to follow the coast so that's not an option.

Any thoughts on this ?

Also, one specific question: I would not get out in the Carolinas with any north wind against the Gulf Stream, but is it that bad in front of the Chesapeake ? I mean, can I get out with a NO or N wind F4 or F5 out of the Chesapeake heading in the direction of Bermuda or I am going to take a beating because of the wind against the current ? I know south of Hatteras one should not try this but is it the same north of the cape ?

Thank you for your insight !!!! Greatly appreciated.
pademauge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, Bahamas, passage