Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-01-2016, 15:10   #1

Boat: Allures 45
Paper Scale

I'm sailing up into the Canadian Maritimes and up the St. Lawrence. I have C-Map+ electronic charts for the plotter, and am backing those up with paper. I believe Canada insists of paper anyway. Nonetheless, I'm looking at 250K-300K costal charts. I believe that is an appropriate scale. I need about 16 charts for the trip. I've never purchased paper charts before, so want to make sure I'm not off base with this.

S/V Tortuga
Station: WDI4751
Chicago, IL
enjaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 10:40   #2

Boat: Catalina 34
Re: Paper Scale

I don't think that you'll be happy with smaller scale charts like the ones mentioned if you get anywhere close to land unless you have someone on board with local knowledge. They usually lack the detail you'll need in order to make an approach, nav aids, etc. You may want a couple of these on hand to orient yourself with the bigger picture.. but I'd think about having some 1:40,000 or even larger 1:10,000 on hand.. at least for the river and some ports you may want to, or have to visit. Good luck, Pappy
PappysSailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: