Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 05:26   #91
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Paper charts now unnessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
It may shock you, but on many short sails I have no electronics on but a depth sounder and only 1 chart! And those are for backup! But the wind and the water seem to have magic on those days!

Again I ask -- who would be shocked by that? We all have our own "back yards" for sailing. We already know where the bumps in the road, have a chart but don't open it, have a depth sounder but don't need it in that area.

Depth sounders in particular can be very misleading. Just because it's 10 feet where you are does not mean it's going to gradually change to 9, 8, 7, 6 and you have plenty of time to turn around. Sometimes it means you're on the edge of a deep area and about to run right into a ridge.

Relying solely on a depth sounder (not that I'm saying anyone here does) without charts (or deep local knowledge) is far worse than relying on a chart plotter to find the deeper water.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:34   #92

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Not for me. I want both.
Me to, even if the paper is just b&w prints
Old 08-07-2012, 05:40   #93

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Some of these "useless gadgets" actually run on batteries.
I always have 2 handhelds , a slab of AA's and paper as backup in my grab bag when on passage.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:21   #94

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
And if you transfer your lat/long from the electronics to the paper chart, and then have to rely only on the paper chart, you now have a very accurate and very visual record of what has happened so far. Extra visual info on a visual tool. Invaluable sometimes.
I don't understand what the difference is. The only difference I can see is that the electronic chart gives you a continuous position line ( your track) that is constantly updated where as a paper chart gives you an inferior series of position marks that need to worked out manually.

In the unlikely event of the GPS system fails, electronic charts loose their advantage and the position marks become a series of manually plotted marks on both paper and electronic charts. The historical data remains with both systems. the track on the electronic chart is still visible.

If you are concerned about loosing the historical data on the electronic chart you can record the position in the ships log every hour or so as most people do anyway.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:15   #95
NDH

Boat: Dufour 40

I am a great fan of chart plotters but I do carry large scale paper charts as well.

Like most people I have 2 spare h/h GPS in my bag, and a laptop with 2 different charting programmes. The problem with having all this is trying to remember all the nuances of different software packages.

We were crossing Biscay when at night all the electrics failed, no problem out comes the h/h GPS and the laptop, for the life of me I could not remember how the charting programme worked and how to get it to see the h/h GPS, the h/h GPS also took an age to acquire a satellite fix.

I suspect this was because I was not used to using it every day and I was being distracted by trying to solve the electrical failure so out came the paper chart and a GPS position entered I could concentrate on the boat. It also made me realise the value of keeping the logbook updated at regular intervals.
NDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:23   #96
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

without papercharts,dividers and a compass rose/plotter/parrelel ruler,it would be very difficult to teach even basic navigation skills to the total novice!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:34   #97
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if paper charts are so unnecessary then splainme why it is mine were STOLEN from my boat in mazatlan BY A CRUISER......(yes i replaced em, but not until i got to la cruz de huanacaxtle.)
electronic charts are not all inclusive--many times i have had to refer to paper for the important stuff about the area--and, in some places in gom, electronic takes a nap. for 5 mins, then back on....lol....even hand helds do that. so much for electronic backup for electronic items. satellite coverage is just that--not battery operated error--is sat coverage not overlapping in paces to be found by YOU....was fun.
as for the electronic maps--as i had to use only my gs for map and chart coverage coming into banderas bay and la cruz, i noticed the shapes of land masses are not accurate with electronics--the shape is roughed in--coves do no longer exist, islands are not there--lol-- those without paper charts--HAVE FUN---dont end up in an island grounded, or ground to death. would be a bad read in papers or online.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:45   #98
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

OK hyperbole aside, I am deeply concerned that the current generation of sailors are totally dependent on GPS for navigation. The argument stated earlier that with GPS down, our paper charts are just as worthless as the chart plotter is also disturbing because it implies the only way to get a fix is to use a GPS.
This has me upset because:
It implies that one cannot look at a chart and see the land features and match it to what one sees in the cockpit.
It implies that one cannot recongise common navigational aids in the ocean and fix a position by taking a compass reading from those aids.
That we would never know how close we are to danger without looking at some printed/digital material (which can fail).
I had a recent sail in which the captain of another boat was with me. He thought nothing of sailing over dangerous banks (because the depth was sufficient on the charts).
I agree with integration of all sources- but start out with common sense and DR and line of sight navigation first.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:52   #99
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

You know recently Ive noticed that the steering wheel really gets in my way. As I have an autopilot and a couple of spares I've been thinking of leaving the wheel at home. What do you think?
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:07   #100

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
OK hyperbole aside, I am deeply concerned that the current generation of sailors are totally dependent on GPS for navigation. The argument stated earlier that with GPS down, our paper charts are just as worthless as the chart plotter is also disturbing because it implies the only way to get a fix is to use a GPS.
This has me upset because:
I agree with you about the slipping standards and inability to manage without GPS, but it does not make any differenence if you have paper or electronic charts.
Rather than thinking, with the GPS down, both paper and electronic charts are equally worthless I would say they are equally valuable. Both mediums will allow navigation to be done without a GPS
Old 08-07-2012, 08:12   #101
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Take your paper and your electronic charts and douse them both liberally with a bucket of salt water because a forward window just blew out.

Electronic just as good huh?
Old 08-07-2012, 08:15   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

how would you teach someone how to measure distance with a pair of dividers on an electronic chart!

how would you teach someone how to use a compass rose and lay off a bearing on a electronic chart!

how would you teach someone to correct a bearing from magnetic to true on an electronic chart!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:19   #103

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Well, technology and electrical electronic gizmos drive us to a world where the toilets are vacum flush, electric, roller furlers with electric engines, holding tanks with electronic gauges to measure the poo level, chartploters with Autopilot radar depth sounder NMA with ECDIS + LOLIcollision avoid feature, Sailmail, Pactor, Electric winches , hidraulic winches, Keels controled by computers , Diesel engines controled by chips, etc... is the future,,,, but real sailors still can save their butt in a Night Gale harbour aproach scenario with just a paper chart and visual references, i wonder how many of this electronics lovers can do the same
The romance of navigation is getting lost.......
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:22   #104

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Electronic just as good huh?
The back up systems would still work. Some of the plotters are rated for a minute immersion at 1m, which is better than a paper chart.
Back up systems can be further waterproofed in Decor container or similar. It's hard to store charts in such containers because of the physical size. A leak in your chart locker can ruin a few charts before its noticed.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:27   #105

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
The back up systems would still work. Some of the plotters are rated for a minute immersion at 1m, which is better than a paper chart.
Back up systems can be further waterproofed in Decor container or similar. It's hard to store charts in such containers because of the physical size. A leak in your chart locker can ruin a few charts before its noticed.
There is 100% waterproof charts in the market to...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts