Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2012, 21:06   #586

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Paper Charts Now Unnecessary

Connie and I made our first Pacific crossing with ONLY Paper Charts and a sextant,and a Quartz wrist watch !! Never got lost !! We have done it with a Puter with the Captn set up and a hand held GPS And Paper Charts!! And we are still buying your used charts !! from anywhere !! Just sayin we like em !!
Old 21-08-2012, 21:23   #587

IMHO, having as many tools as you can afford is a good thing. On a long voyage charts, chart plotter, radar & AIS are not usually needed at the same time so I don't see overload being a factor. It allows you to concentrate on what's important at that moment. Having and double-checking all tools can prevent relying on one-even eyeballs make mistakes.

It's funny we don't usually complain about autopilots despite they are only reactive-and can be dangerous if you are relying on them in a storm instead of your own skills-which are proactive (if you have the experience & reactions needed). Most would never travel long distances without them (and backup). It's good at what it's good for but not to be taken as fool-proof.

I agree there are dangerous boaters on the water and instruments can be a factor. I've passed-and had to alter course(!) because someone set the autopilot & went to the bow of their catamaran to sit with his mate in lawn chairs. [Please don't take this as a multi/mono debate starter even if they had a Rocna up there between them and a hand gun next to their cocktails ] That wasn't because of a bad instrument or even misplaced trust...it was just one of those things you can't see on a chart or instrument. The eyeballs won that one but it's nice to vector the tankers, cargo and container ships as I cross shipping lanes on AIS and call the ship to coordinate moves- its good for me but also for the ships-they have called after passing with a thank you for calling No matter how it is for me to cross-they must really be shaking to see all these little crazies playing chicken with them.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 01:44   #588
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors
"Bill -- modern paper chart production is now mastered from digital data. The paper chart is not the master. Vector is a much superior technology and will eventually replace all raster products."

Dave,

Would that that were the case. It isn't.

Unless there's been a major change in the past year, NOAA reports that the paper chart is the basis and the controlling factor for all charts, raster and vector.

Yes, there is an electronic rendition of the paper charts...it's the vector chart.

NOAA has commissioned and is working toward a time when there will be a single electronic database from which both raster and vector charts are produced. Such product does not exist at the moment. They say it will be a few years before that can be done.

That's for NOAA charts. For "third-part vector charts", like those provided with chartplotters, the situation is quite different. They are digitized...sometimes by hand...and suffer from errors of commission and omission. Some are better than others, of course.

"As to using AIS and staying out of there way , you have obviously never crossed the English channel or traveled across the Gibraltar approaches., staying out of the way of 12 to 16 ships all travelling 14-18 knots spread over miles of ocean isn't an option, you dance with them , in that case the more aids I have the better. "

You're right: I've never crossed the English Channel in a small boat. However, I have navigated the Gibraltar approaches, as well as several other high traffic areas around the world. One of the most active is the Delaware Bay/Delaware River, as well as the approaches to NY Harbor, Baltimore, etc. Never have I felt the need for AIS.

The worst reason I can think of for fitting AIS is that "it is cheaper than radar". That's really a shame, because excellent used radars can be found for not a lot of money. AIS or radar? Not even a moment's indecision, IMO. If you don't have the money for radar now, save the $$$ you'd spend on AIS and save up for a few months and get a working radar.

Bill
I append a quote from the IHO
"
The IMO performance standards for ECDIS states that where ENCs are not available, RNCs may be used in ECDIS to meet the chart carriage requirements. However, when an ECDIS is being used with RNCs, the RNCs should be used together with “an appropriate folio of up to date paper charts”. See section “Meeting carriage requirements for ECDIS”.
The option to use RNCs in ECDIS will steadily reduce as more and more ENCs become available.
Because of their nature, RNCs when used in ECDIS do not provide the same level of functionality that is provided by ENCs. The limitations of operating with RNCs are outlined in IMO SN Circulars 207/Rev.1 and 255 (see Annex to this section)."

Which clearly states the supremacy of vector chart technology. In fact unless you use vector charts in an IMO ecdis system you still have to carry the paper.

All hydrographic officies are working towards a vector master database. Again it shows where the future lies and it certainly isn't with paper master charts. ( and of course given the technology deployed now in HOs, you can see that's obvious)

The futures digital. , paper charts will be something you print out from your computer from the digital master. I like paper charts, but I know where the technology is driving HOs .

As to AiS , only people who rant about radar like yourself denigrate AIS. The rest of us mariners just get on with using whatever tools we have and can afford. aIS especially transponders are a great aid, there's no further discussion, the worlds made its mind up.

Dave
Old 22-08-2012, 02:09   #589

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Don't know about you guys, but I don't have ECDIS and damn few cruisers have (I've never heard of it).

But I'll repeat - here in Denmark, unless you have ECDIS (double redundant on everything) then the Søfartsstyrelsen (Office of Maritime Safety) requires paper charts. If you have a chart plotter, then you still must have paper charts. It is up to you which is your primary - but you must have them.

I'll easily agree - digital is the future, no question. But we live in todays world.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 04:24   #590

Back again....

Just a final farewell message, it seems we shall be flying to Houston next week to tow a jack up rig back to Dampier Western Australia....

The vessel we will be using is one of the older ones in the fleet and is not ECDIS equipped, doesn’t even have a basic chartplotter, just a Furuno GP32 and paper charts....

Now obviously this is a suicide mission and all 20 of us are expected to die, but if anyone can spare a chartplotter, even a cheapy Garmin, as we all know the charts are decidedly more accurate than the official paper rubbish that we will be forced to use......we may just stand a chance....

My crew and their respective families thank you for any assistance offered...

Pray for us....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 04:40   #591

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Back again....

Just a final farewell message, it seems we shall be flying to Houston next week to tow a jack up rig back to Dampier Western Australia....

The vessel we will be using is one of the older ones in the fleet and is not ECDIS equipped, doesn’t even have a basic chartplotter, just a Furuno GP32 and paper charts....

Now obviously this is a suicide mission and all 20 of us are expected to die, but if anyone can spare a chartplotter, even a cheapy Garmin, as we all know the charts are decidedly more accurate than the official paper rubbish that we will be forced to use......we may just stand a chance....

Pray for us....
That sounds very much like the floating dock we patched up to be towed to China, from Melbourne,
It sank in the South China Sea, Nearly taking the Tug with it,

Hope yours is not the same,

Wish you luck,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 04:42   #592

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Don't forget your reading glasses - that way you can read the tiny print on the charts

good luck!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 04:50   #593

IslandHopper, that is funny. Thanks for the laugh. Stay out of the headlines.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 06:45   #594

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Back again....

Pray for us....
Just be sure to take ALL the paper charts you will possibly need--you never know where you will end up. I remember a few years back when a ship had to divert and pick up a sick baby off a sailboat and take it to the Galapagos. They had to take the sailboat's charts, as they weren't carrying any detailed charts for that area.

Or you could take a laptop with OpenCPN and CM93 charts for the world, and not have to worry wherever fate takes you....
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 07:14   #595
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Back again....

Pray for us....
Thread drift alert (but after 40 pages - so what )

If you get a leg on, you might be able to catch up with Boatman61, sure he has a head start but he has been travelling pretty slowly
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 09:44   #596
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

A friend of mine sailed to Hawaii using just GPS coordinates he was given and into a harbor that had been suggested (also only using GPS)....when he got off the reef he was told he was the first boat that had ended up on that reef that got off in one piece (harbormaster said if he did it again he'd name the reef after him)....he declined the offer.
Old 22-08-2012, 10:25   #597

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

There have been lots of good stories in this thread, but a consistent theme is that stupid and incompetent is associated with electronic charts.
I can assure people stupid existed before electronic charts, even before GPS. Stupid without electronic charts and GPS is much scarier than stupid with these aids.

A tale fom my early crusing days. I was crusing the Vava'u group of islands in Tonga. The navigation here prior to GPS was difficult. Most of the island are only palm tree height and one island looked almost identical to the next.
I met a fellow cruser that was totally lost. He described a harrowing tale of sailing over shallow water with bommies. He had no idea where he was. He had sailed half way around the world with this level of skill.
The puzzle was we were anchored within sight of one of the few landmarks a large high volcanic island a simple bearing from this would have shown his estimated position was impossible.
I spent a couple of days trying to get him to be able to use the sextant he had on board. He could take good sights, but got lost in the maths.

A guess the moral of my tale is incompetent existed long before electronics.
It's also worth noting that electronics make stupid at least a safer stupid, as well as making the competent safer.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 12:01   #598

Boat: OEM, proportional

Quote:
It's also worth noting that electronics make stupid at least a safer stupid, as well as making the competent safer.
Yes, but it gets the stupid out on the water (and out in the bush) in great numbers. Just hope the electronics keep working, and aren't made mandatory for everyone.....
Old 22-08-2012, 12:15   #599

Boat: Boereal 44

OK Nolex, I will top your tale or maybe add to it. In 1972, pretty deep into the S. Pacific I met a Vancouver, BC. couple on their beautiful boat who did not know how to use a sextant. Compass was the only thing they used. When I asked them how that was for them they just said that they got to most islands all the way from Vancouver just fine. But they also said they completely missed a few destinations and when that happened they set a new compass course and moved on. Maybe it was the same folks you mentioned and still lost.

The Vava'u group is easy now, well marked and in 2008 NZ did a complete charting of the group with the most modern of ships and equipment.

I still bet you have every paper chart you need. Not saying you will buy new ones.

Cheers
stevewrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 12:31   #600

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewrye View Post

The Vava'u group is easy now, well marked and in 2008 NZ did a complete charting of the group with the most modern of ships and equipment.
Nice to know, I hope to get back there soon. The charts seemed reasonable when I was there, but you tend not notice discrepancies using DR. GPS has made us much more critical of charting errors. One of the problems with electonic navigation is that people ascribe a much greater degree of accuracy than what is achieved in practice. This is particularly noticeable when talking to crusing sailors that have come from a background of well mapped and charted areas.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts