Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 13:37   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
niget2002..

I am aware that all I have in my Android apps are RAM and no HD. Where did you get that idea from? The file organizer is working beautifully for me,it is quick,easy to update and does not cause any hangups.

My latest download app to NOAA fetches the charts from the STATE listing very quickly and right into the directory used by MarineNavigator to install new charts.

Tore
I think we have a misunderstanding of terminology. Your phone should have both the ram that the apps execute out of and local memory where the data is stored. The phone only manages the ram part.

Either way, it doesn't really matter what the phone is doing as long as you're happy.
niget2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 14:49   #17

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Re: Organizing Your Android Marine Apps

I have an Samsung Galaxy 10.1 GT-P7500 running on Android v. 4.0.4 which does not
allow moving apps from PHONE to the SD card.

Unless I have misunderstood the brief instructions coming with the AutoAppOrganizer, they have a RAM saving solution which might work. It seems you can do a backup of all apps to an external USB drive,delete the apps installed in RAM and then install/activate each single app from the external backup. If this is the way it works then we have a solution.

Tore
Old 02-06-2013, 14:55   #18

Samsung in their ´wisdom´ have elected not to allow storage of apps on the SD drive,(only data),on their Galaxy 10.1 tablet,(perhaps also others).

I therefore searched and found ways to greatly reduce the demand for RAM space on the PHONE,as well as the SD card. Either of these methods will do the trick:

1. Using AutoAppOrganizer to install all your apps in the directories of your choice,you firstly do a total backup to your EXTERNAL DRIVE,(a pendrive or similar),after which you un-install all the apps. Using their quicktime directory option will give you access to all your previously installed apps at a click. If it is not installed,it will be re-installed from the backup directory on your EXTERNAL drive. When it is no longer needed,you can quickly delete it again.

2. Most of the above applies if you on the other hand elect to backup your apps to your favorite Cloud Drive.(there are several options) For this you need first to do a backup to either your SD card or external USB drive. Then use the excellent ES File Explorer to copy over the backup files to your cloud drive. That´s it!

To re-install any app you just click on the app in the ES File Explorer´s cloud directory and it install in seconds. Personally,I prefer this way using my 100GB Google Cloud Drive which is always accessible wherever I am.

3. The third way is to make use of AAO´s option to use Google Play to recover the previously installed apps.(Provided they came from Google Play) as the directory menu in AAO has the app name and icon.

The bottom line is that in this way you have ALL your previously collected apps safely stored and available without using ANY RAM space on your tablet,except when you are actually using one of the apps.

This is great for all the nautical maps you may have stored,which can be used in several navigation apps available presently,and also for space demanding video and music files etc.

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-05-30-11-16-26.png
Views:	103
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	61801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-05-30-11-17-33.png
Views:	105
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	61802  

Name:	Screenshot_2013-06-02-16-49-24.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	61803  
Old 16-06-2013, 13:58   #19

I have been using and testing the combination of AutoAppOrganizer and ES File Explorer for a couple of weeks and have found it to be an EXCELLENT combination.

I can now have ALL my apps waiting in my ´backup´ directory on my Google Cloud Drive and re-install an app in seconds when I want to use it,then one click to un-install it. To be practical though,I keep only a very few apps installed which I use the most frequently,the rest on my Google Cloud Drive.

I have asked OruxMaps,one of my favorite nav.apps to allow their setup path to also include external drive as a USB attached pendrive as well as my Google Cloud Drive.

Tore
Old 19-06-2013, 07:39   #20

As I perhaps mentioned earlier,you can organize your apps in directories in ´list format´ or in a ´shortcut´directory format.

You can also use your own,application icons,downloadable for free from IPack Icons via Google Play as seen in the attached.

Tore
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	galaxy SII.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	62845   Click image for larger version

Name:	AutoAppOrganizerPage.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	62846  

Tags