Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2013, 17:51   #1

Opencpn

Well I quit. I've wasted three days trying to get this ^$^%$&*%^*(^*^() program to work and I'm no closer now then when I started. I've read that supposed to be manual so many times that I can recite it. Incidently, someone needs to send the manual author some instruction about writing a manual for those who have never seen the program before.

I have yet to see a chart. No matter how many times I download the BSB4 plugin, it never appears in the program. I've tried copying it to the folder and to the encription folder, all to no avail. I guess there's a good reason that commercial programs charge so much. They are starting to look like a good but at whatever cost.

On a related matter, our computer now has Windows 7 after an update from WIndows XP. Let me rephrase that: after downgrading from Windows XP. Everything is more difficult to do including finding files.
Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 18:25   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: Opencpn

Dancer...
As you seem to have already made your decision, I suppose this is a waste of time, but you should probably get some instruction how to get help that's actually useful for the next time you try adventure like this:
1) Knowing which OpenCPN version you used helps
2) Terms like "the folder" are useless, it's necessary to know which one. Supposing you have 32-bit version of Windows installed the ordinary way on drive C:, "the folder" to place the plugins to is C:\Program Files\OpenCPN\plugins
3) Seeing your logfile would help a lot. As you can recite the manual you sure know it's C:\ProgramData\OpenCPN\opencpn.log
4) Many thanks for your appreciation of all the time all those volunteers invested in making OpenCPN and it's documentation. We will sure value your improvements to it or comments that at least reveal WHAT is hard to understand.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 21:53   #3

Dancer

I assume that you are using Canadian charts, as am I. Iam goping to PM you my email address.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 21:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Dancer...
As you seem to have already made your decision, I suppose this is a waste of time, but you should probably get some instruction how to get help that's actually useful for the next time you try adventure like this:
1) Knowing which OpenCPN version you used helps
2) Terms like "the folder" are useless, it's necessary to know which one. Supposing you have 32-bit version of Windows installed the ordinary way on drive C:, "the folder" to place the plugins to is C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins
3) Seeing your logfile would help a lot. As you can recite the manual you sure know it's C:\ProgramData\OpenCPN\opencpn.log
4) Many thanks for your appreciation of all the time all those volunteers invested in making OpenCPN and it's documentation. We will sure value your improvements to it or comments that at least reveal WHAT is hard to understand.

Pavel
Pavel

On my W7 machine OpenCPN is found in the x86 program files.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 22:27   #5

Boat: Phantom 19

Jack...
Your W7 is obviously 64-bit edition. We do just 32-bit build of OpenCPN for Windows, that's why its installed in "Program Files (x86)" on 64-bit systems.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 06:10   #6

Sorry that you are so frustrated, Dancer, but I have to say that a whole lot of people have installed and used OpenCPN without any problems. No offense, but what that means is that it is not a problem with OpenCPN, it is a problem with something that you are doing. Probably some minor thing that you are over-looking, or some step that you are missing. I'm sure there are a lot of people here who would be happy to help you figure out what that is.

And I agree with you that the documentation available is... Well, what's a nice way to put this? Let's say, not particularly geared for the technical novitiate.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn