Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2014, 13:50   #1

Old Nobeltec and Windows 7/XP Mode

Hi All --

Software question: I have a new Dell Latitude running Windows 7 Pro. I installed Windows Virtual Machine and Windows XP mode successfully. I then installed my very old copy of Nobeltec (1998 or so). Installation worked, program runs ok, EXCEPT.......When I try to re-open Nobeltec, it hangs up and says it needs the disk. If I insert the Nobeltec dish, wait a moment, and then click "Try Again" it opens the program normally and it works fine. In other words, the whole thing works except that it needs the disk to be in the drive for the program to open. Once it is opened, I can remove the disk and it works fine.

What am I doing wrong and how do I fix this?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Grey Wicker
S/V Sa Lako
Sidney, BC
svsalako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 14:24   #2

Boat: Ontario32
Re: Old Nobeltec and Windows 7/XP Mode

Hi Grey,
I have an old version of Nobletec running on a Vista in a HP laptop. It functions well but 0nly if we run as administrator. You may want to try either sea clear or opncpn as nav platforms.Both are freedownloads and run my CHS bsb charts without snags.

B Chalk
s/v La voile au Vent:
Crew of Turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 23:37   #3

Boat: Cebec 63' trawler

I have same system and often struggle. When you installed the program, did you save a copy on your computer and then copy all charts to a Nobeltec sub directory? I wonder if the program looks for itself or charts, but doesn't find one or the other except on the disc. Good luck. Roddy
roddymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 13:09   #4

Installed Nobeltec Virtual Suite about 6 years ago. Then installed the charts in a folder. Nobletec chart table located them if I recall without intervention. So all items reside in C on this computer. I also have Sea Clear 11 and OPNCPN on board but had to direct the file folder to these newer programs.
Old 17-03-2014, 13:18   #5

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

I ran Nobeltec Suite (v's 9 thru 11 if memory serves) direct on Windows 7 pro, until about 18 months ago, when the Nobeltec Radar failed and I switched to OpenCPN (with Lowrance 3G Radar). What version are you trying to run? Is your version one of the copies that requires a dongle, or not?
Matt
Old 17-03-2014, 13:38   #6

Matt, hope Grey is reading this. My version is 4.1.319 circa 1995! It is running fine. You mention a dongle so will presume you are referring to the GPS feed. For that I am using a Microsoft/Pharos antennae which works very well.
Old 17-03-2014, 13:48   #7

Hmm,
yep, when I have version 4, it would have been on windows 3.11!!, later versions on Win 98, then XP, then Windows 7. I ran this software since it was Jeppesen Marine MAP (ie like ver 0.9 of Nobeltec Suite!), and swapped platforms when they went to time zero(and my radar died). In total I guess I've done over 50,000 miles with it.... so I have a bit of experience with it.

By Dongle I mean that the non US versions were security locked by a hardware dongle - first for a serial (or parallel!!!) port, then later by a USB dongle....

All my systems have used the boat's built in GPS - since 2001 a Furuno GP31 then a GP32. I used to have a Nobeltec 2Kw radar as mentioned above. Worked well for 10 odd years...

Anyway, the problem should be able to be rectified by installing the program again directly on the Windows 7, then right click on the Icon, set "run as administrator" and all should be well...

Matt
Old 17-03-2014, 14:14   #8

Boat: Little Harbor 58

I used Nobeltec Visual beginning in 2007 and liked it. I had problems when changing computers and handshaking with my equipment and the com ports. A lot of things have changed since 1998 and to my understanding, it is no longer supported by the company. They merged with Jeppesen and things really changed. I kept up with the upgrades, with the exception of Vista and was glad I did. Then I moved to Nobeltec Admiral and it worked quite well. Now I am using Nobeltec Timezero Trident and it is fantastic although it doesn't incorporate XM Weather like the previous versions, and it doesn't accept the old charts. I use a Dell Precision laptop.

I found the older versions required a lot of memory and did not perform well unless you started it up from a cold boot and opened the program first, before any other programs. That said, Windows 7 in XP mode may be causing a conflict with the software finding the files necessary to operate on the first pass of starting up the program.

I don't navigate my boat on the free download programs. The Nobeltec web page has a good demonstration on Timezero and I expect they will quit supporting Admiral soon. Having been a customer for 5 years, they offered the Timezero program at a price of $250. I would expect they would work with the OP in a similar fashion. There are numerous features that I like:

1. It can update the charts with reports from Active Captain that people have sent in; like shoaling locations, marina ratings, anchorages, etc.

2. You don't need a dongle and can uninstall it and put it on another computer when you upgrade your hardware.

3. You can use raster, Jeppesen, and or Navionic charts which are furnished in the install.

4. The graphics are awesome, you can click on photos and comments, see currents and tide levels, among other things.

5. They give you free weather downloads showing wind velocity arrows, current speed and isobars.

The downside is that it is not free.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 14:24   #9

For me, the final decision to move away from Nobeltec, was the price of a replacement radar. About $5500 USD plus shipping if I remember correctly, the Lowrance 3g was $1700.00 USD landed in NZ.
Certainly the Nobeltec system has some good features. I had the Raster Plus pack and the Sailing Plus Pack (and the international version STILL requires a dongle - only the US one does not), and the "upgrade" to time zero meant the old radar would not work, (it still did at that time) so it was over 6K USD to upgrade, to get the facilities I already had.
When the radar failed, I did consider this upgrade, but decided against it, mostly for financial reasons.
However, Open CPN now offers almost all the same functions. It is not as polished (yet) as nobeltec, but it sure is getting there. And it's free!
Radar overlays, weather overlays, Sailing Polars, etc is all there and working....

Tags
nobeltec, wind