Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2018, 08:52   #1

NYC to Bahamas and back 4-5 weeks

We are considering a cruise to the Bahamas in June/July 2019 from NYC. We normally cruise New England this time of year, but we're ready for something further afield. I'd like to hear the forums thoughts on doing this cruise over 4-5 weeks.

We are experienced coastal cruisers with many overnight passages under our belts, but never a multi-day offshore passage. We sail a well-maintained Pearson 424 ketch with upgraded rigging, proper offshore safety gear, radar, two life rafts, a well-maintained and running engine, new sails. We do not have a drogue or a wind vane.

Ideally we'd have more than 4-5 weeks, but our work schedules currently don't permit it.

Would like to hear the forums thoughts on this trip in this time frame.

Thanks in advance.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:12   #2

Re: NYC to Bahamas and back 4-5 weeks

If I were doing that, I would find time to move the boat to Florida prior and dock it there for the trip to Bahamas. That should get you more island time and less need to "push".
I think I spent about 1.5 weeks from Annapolis to Ft Lauderdale. We could have pushed it faster though for sure. Some inside, some outside. Then we spent 1.5 weeks waiting for a weather window to the Bahamas. It was winter though. That's 3 of your 5 weeks.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:58   #3

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

With all due respect, that's just not very realistic. A better idea might be to fly down and charter a boat for three weeks.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:54   #4

Boat: Pearson 303

Go and deal with the problems later
If you have time and a boat, then you're heading the right way by sailing to dolphins and turquoise water.

Worst case is having to leave your boat for a few months before you go pick it up in one go or move it weekend by weekend.
You can also rent a delivery captain if you have more funs than PTO.

I did a similar trip (January) and had to wait for weather a lot, but I'm very glad I went instead of waiting 30 years until retirement. Didn't get to see it all, but sure as hell planning the next one!

PS: In NYC as well (world's fair marina).
sveinung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 13:27   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Orana 44

Peregrine 18983, it sounds like you have a nice boat and good gear, but the obvious negative, to me anyway, is not the time you've allotted or the distance, but the time of year. 01 June to 30 November is hurricane season. While earlier in the season typically yields fewer storms, it's still very possible...and not even the professional predictors get it right when talking about the upcoming season and how many storms to expect, so planning based on that is not perfect either.

Be safe.

Pat
pstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 13:37   #6

Boat: X-Yacht Xc45

To try and put some perspective on this it took me almost 6 days to sail from Savannah to Boston this past spring. Fortunately we had good weather and therefore no weather delays. From the Bahamas would add at least 2-3 days. So over Two weeks would be used just going back and forth. Longer if Mother Nature intervenes. Not much time to enjoy. You CANNOT be on a schedule for a trip like this. Needless to say you can’t even think about using the ICW in this time frame
Wavehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 16:28   #7

Thanks all. I appreciate all the input. Sounds like one vote for and a few against.

I suspected it would be a rushed trip. My plan was direct NYC to Hatteras area. Watch the weather, then if I have a window head from Hatteras to TBD in the Bahamas. Was never planning on any ICW. I grew up sailing on the ICW and I vowed never to return long ago... also out draft makes it too difficult anyway.

I know that it's hurricane season, but if nobody went boating on the east coast during hurricane season there would be no boating season here. I have faith in my ability to watch the forecast.

Will give it some more thought. Thanks all. Maybe I can convince the wife to do a Bermuda run instead
Old 01-10-2018, 21:31   #8

Boat: Hylas 54

Been to Bermuda? A fun and challenging trip, not as many miles, and out of the hurricane belt.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt11791 View Post
Been to Bermuda? A fun and challenging trip, not as many miles, and out of the hurricane belt.

I haven't. I always thought it was sort of an "experts only" passage... and I don't consider myself an expert, but maybe its something we should consider more seriously given the time we have. I think I would want to have a drogue for that passage.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:13   #10

Boat: Hylas 49

Bermuda is about a 5 day passage each way. You have to cross the Gulf Stream, so you don't want a northerly wind, but otherwise it is very doable. If you get prevailing winds, it is one long starboard tack. From there you are 1/2 way to the Virgins.
To get to the Bahamas you are doing a coastal cruise. Cape May/Norfolk/Charleston and along the coast until you reach miami and cross the Stream. The trip back is about a week in good weather if you ride the Stream to Hatteras. You have 30 days more or less. Ten each way (to give yourself weather options) and ten to explore. To me it is doable, but not relaxing, especially if it is just 2 of you.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:17   #11
CLOD

Boat: none

I think the trip is doable, IF the weather holds in your favor all the time. Little chance of that!

But why would you want to do this trip other than to say you spent all that time out to sea? I'm from the NE area and the cruising really is better there than in the Bahamas except for the clear water.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:22   #12

If you want 6 GOOD weeks of sailing the
Exumas, long, Cat, Conception Islands etc AND
have an excellent hurricane hole to run to,,
Get one of the guys from Kevalli House, Exuma,
to bring your boat down to one of their moorings.
you can fly in direct to Georgetown, taxi to your
boat, spend 6 weeks sailing, then fly home,.
either that or do the down or return leg yourself,
either way, you'll have more unrushed fun time
to yourselves..
AND its not as expensive as you would think.
mindsofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:51   #13

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
I haven't. I always thought it was sort of an "experts only" passage... and I don't consider myself an expert, but maybe its something we should consider more seriously given the time we have. I think I would want to have a drogue for that passage.

It’s pretty easy, particularly if you leave from the Chesapeake. Crossing the stream is more straightforward there. Prevailing winds will give you a beam reach there and back.

You might run into a gale or two, but remember all the Bermuda ocean races are in June. There is a reason for that.

Flip side is that Bermuda is stupid expensive.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:07   #14

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Have you checked with your insurance company about the cost of being "south" during hurricane season? Just a thought ... there's a reason why they have large premiums for that area.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 15:00   #15

Boat: Tartan30

Last season I delivered a Pearson 303 to Florida so the Owner could fly in from Baltimore, and his friends could fly in from Finland.
I placed the boat at Marineland Marina, they flew in and did their 3 week Bahamas trip then returned to Marinland. I then delivered the boat to NYC where the Owners new job was starting. (ran NY Harbor, East River, and Hell Gare at night)
It was much earlier in the year, but the point is they got solid quality time IN the Bahamas, and not spending all the time EN ROUTE.
For many folks the EN ROUTE part is just another part of the adventure, and enjoy that. For others, they prefer to spend time cruising the area of interest and do not want to be under the gun schedule wise.
The other advantage of having a Delivery Skipper is in the event of "A Big Wind" the boat can be relocated to safer waters, and you don't spend your whole vacation dealing with a storm.
Either way......I hope you have a great adventure!
scottydaum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, nyc