Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-01-2014, 17:33   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Northwest Caribbean charts

I didn't mean to use SeaClear as a chartplotter application - you are correct in that it is not user friendly and not supported well. I meant to imply that it has a georeferencing component in it that can be used to create electronic charts from paper that can be used on other applications. This georeferencing is pretty easy to do with it.

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 18:01   #17

Re: Northwest Caribbean charts

Thanks, Mark, I go and download it right now. Let's see, if it is going to work for me.

Jenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 18:11   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Originally Posted by wdkester View Post
I don't have them anymore so I can't really can't go back and look. The charts that I'm talking about are the large foldout ones. I scanned the one that had the south half of belize and glover is. in with a giant Kinkos scanner'. It is skewed to begin with so I rotated it with some graphics s/w so that north was up, and then georeferenced it using the coordinates on the chart. Lots of room for error on my part. Those large charts are clearly hand drawn and I suppose were not intended to be scanned in and used in a chart plotter.

I'm wondering if you scanned in the same chart, or parts of it, and found it accurate?

I should add that the smaller sketch charts that I used were reasonably accurate.
I've scanned parts of the large fold out ones and some of the smaller ones. I've had some issues getting a good georeference on the big ones too. Ive assumed that was a scanning/georeferencing issue on my part (since I know them to be accurate from using the paper version). The angle of southern chart does not help. I did get good georefernces of the Port Honduras and Glovers areas.

I've not used the georeferenced charts extensively, just played with it. If I use paper charts I don't tend to use GPS much...just traditional coastal piloting with occassional GPS fixes. For that use they are dead on. Don't know if there could be some anamoly that might create issues on georeferencing some of them.

Should you ever need to replace them, the big charts can be purchased separately directly from the publisher. I know this because here in Belize in the charter fleet the big charts are popular and have a tendancy to disappear from the cruising guide.

Be nice if the publisher would make official georeferenced versions available. Should be a good additional revenue stream for them too.

belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Caribbean, charts, rib, caribbean

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: