Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2014, 09:13   #1
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac
Nobeltec Visual Navigation Suite

I have been using Nobeltec VNS v4.1.347 on an older Toshiba laptop for a number of years with XP. Two months ago it operated normally, that is, announcing that it could not find port COM1 but connecting with COM9 and functioning OK.

A month ago it gave the same opening announcement BUT there was no GPS input; charts come up OK but no navigation due to no GPS input. GPS data is provided by a Garmin GPS 76 or GPSMAP 76 via USB-RS232 converter. As this is a dedicated navigation computer, it was only connected to the Internet for monthly Microsoft updates; that is once between working and not working before the problem started.

I have uninstalled then reinstalled both the USB to RS232 cable converter and also Nobeltec software without any improvement except that now it doesn't make the previous announcement for not finding COM1, an improvement I would think. The XP Device Manager shows no problem with either the Ports or the Universal Serial Bus Controllers but is now reflecting COM8 for the USB-RS232 which I have now selected in Nobeltec Input Ports.

Everything seems to be what it should be but I still have no GPS input from Garmin. I'm frustrated and open to suggestions.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ Mike
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 10:01   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Nobeltec Visual Navigation Suite

I don't have an answer for you - just wanted to note that VNS v4.X is over 15yrs old and predates WindowsXP itself!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 12:06   #3
mcm

Have you tried disabling the pointing device in device mgr. sometimes Win. sees gps as a mouse device.
mcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2014, 14:27   #4
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40

Doh, I just lost my whole reply...

Fire up hyperterm and verify that data is present on the serial port. Try 4800 baud to start. If you get properly formatted NMEA strings, the issue is likely software or software settings. If you get string data at all, cut and paste some here so we can see the format. If you get nothing, you'll need further hardware troubleshooting.

JRM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 13:41   #5
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

It has been fixed. Another forum suggested checking the Garmin output which had been accidently changed from NMEA to GARMIN. After changing it back to NMEA all worked fine.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ Mike
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation, nobeltec