Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2011, 21:53   #1

Boat: Tartan 34C
NOAA Charts on C-Map NT+ Card ?

I have a Navis 640 chartplotter with C-Map NT+. The charts seem to be accurate, but lack the detail of the NOAA charts for the same area. I end up comparing the GPS screen with the paper charts to make sure I'm reading the markers correctly. For example, a buoy may be marked as green w/ 4s light "24" but C-Map gives me only green lighted buoy.

Are the NOAA charts available in C-Map NT+ format? Is it possible to "burn" charts onto C-map chips for use with a chartplotter? Since NOAA makes the images available for free, I'm hoping for a user-friendly, newbie-tolerant solution.

Thanks!

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 01:11   #2
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: NOAA Charts on C-Map NT+ Card?

Are you sure that if you "hover" your cursor over the buoy in question, it doesn't give you more info? Or actually select it for more detail still. At least that's how my C-Map NT+ system works....
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 10:38   #3

Boat: Tartan 34C

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Are you sure that if you "hover" your cursor over the buoy in question, it doesn't give you more info? Or actually select it for more detail still. At least that's how my C-Map NT+ system works....
My chartplotter does not have a cursor. I remember using a friends Garmin and wanting to see the details on a buoy, so I zoomed in until the info filled the screen. With the Navis, I zoom in, but the info doesn't get bigger (an issue for those of us with less than 20/20 eyesight).

Again, can I get NOAA charts in C-Map NT+ format? Can I import the info from NOAA?

Thanks,

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 10:46   #4
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cement View Post
My chartplotter does not have a cursor. I remember using a friends Garmin and wanting to see the details on a buoy, so I zoomed in until the info filled the screen. With the Navis, I zoom in, but the info doesn't get bigger (an issue for those of us with less than 20/20 eyesight).

Again, can I get NOAA charts in C-Map NT+ format? Can I import the info from NOAA?

Thanks,

John
As far as I know, there is no way to get NOAA charts into C-Map formats.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 10:49   #5

Re: NOAA Charts on C-Map NT+ Card ?

my raymarine plotter with cmap+ showes the marker number if I click the curser on the marker Seems more of a plotter issue then cmap issue My garmin with built in maps show marker number on screen
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 11:21   #6
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Re: NOAA Charts on C-Map NT+ Card ?

One advantage of vector charts is that you can pick and choose which details you want to show on the screen.

The disadvantage is that the manufacturer may make this choice for you. They may choose to omit certain labels, etc. at certain zoom levels. Only showing them if you zoom in far enough. Or they may just not show some stuff ever.

They may also give you the option of what level to show. But this option may be buried down in menus somewhere, labeled God-knows-what.

eg: There were lots of posts in the OpenCPN forum about text not showing. It was only because the defaults didn't show it. And to the beginning user, the options were not found so easily. The defaults were since changed and the posts have stopped.

If I were you, I'd try zooming in all the way (you probably already did this). Then look through the menus looking for display/details/text/labels kind of options. Or look in the manual or online forums for some of those same keywords.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c-map, charts