Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2010, 18:17   #1

Next Generation of Off-The-Shelf Navigation Systems

I've been a longtime fan of SeaClear2 and free NOAA charts. However, the absence of inexpensive, sunlight-viewable displays has made for a disappointing daytime cockpit experience.

Coming soon (perhaps in June) is a low power, inexpensive tablet computer (Notion Ink Adam) with a transflective touchscreen. (Transflective means sunlight-viewable (and lower power)). http://www.notionink.in

This tablet does not have an Intel CPU so neither SeaClear2 on Windows nor SeaClear2 on Linux/Wine will be possible. However, I recently came upon an open source (free) chartplotter program called "opencpn". OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage
So far, this seems to work OK on Linux, and Linux should run on the Notion Ink tablet.

This is not a marinized, ruggedized navigation "solution". But for those DIY folks who like to tinker, this might be interesting.

Bob Moriarty
Ox '76 33-1
Jax, FL
bobmor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 03:43   #2

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Hello Bob,

I'm not sure if opencpn has been compiled on an ARM architecture yet, although it would certainly be of interest as these are particularly frugal on the power consumption front. It's technically feasible.
Old 14-05-2010, 05:46   #3

Linux will run on Tegra 2 devices.
Tegra 2 supports Ubuntu Linux « sola's blog
bobmor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 19:56   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

If only there was a viable tablet that is not "vaporware" and that runs any one of the "major" operating systems - I am sure there would be software available for it (and no, I am not permitted to speak the name by forum rules ).

That said, I am essentially in a waiting mode, hoping to see a real production device and, perhaps, a leader if a few appear - that can be used as a reference architecture. ARM based system would be just fine, perhaps even preferable.

Unfortunately, it seems that aside from iPad no viable tablet computers came to production stage and sold in any significant numbers. A few small time manufacturers made announcements, one or two presumably started shipping (though whenever I go to research I can't ever find one for sale), that's it.
brak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 06:12   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
If only there was a viable tablet that is not "vaporware" and that runs any one of the "major" operating systems - I am sure there would be software available for it (and no, I am not permitted to speak the name by forum rules )...
I'm not aware of any CF rule that would prohibit including a manufacturer's name (& product model number) in a technical discussion.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 07:33   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I'm not aware of any CF rule that would prohibit including a manufacturer's name (& product model number) in a technical discussion.
Unless I am that manufacturer I had a few posts deleted that way and a few warnings, so I am a bit wiser now.

Having said that, this topic is of huge interest to me - tablets and touch computing have been at the top of my priorities.
Old 16-05-2010, 17:52   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Bob, I think it was John Stewart (of the TV show) who recently said "The iPad is not dishwasher safe, don't ask me how I know that!"

HP and others are claiming they will enter the tablet market later this year, but I suspect sunlight-readable displays are going to be reserved for industrial users and higher priced "ruggedized" tablets because the displays are simply too damned expensive for any consumer product.

Exactly the same reason you don't see them being sold for $500, much less shipping in $500 laptops.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 18:04   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

that and there is little demand for sunlight-readable screens outside "outdoors" type of users. most portables users are firmly indoors (public transportation, home on a couch, airport/plane etc), using these systems in relatively low light situations. there is no compelling use case for it.

Tags
navigation