Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-06-2013, 11:16   #1

Newporet, OR to Seattle, WA

I am looking at buying a Cal 29 in Newport, OR and would need to get her to Seattle, WA. I would prefer to sail, or motor, her home as opposed to have her transported. Is this easily done? Has anyone else done this in a similar boat? I would love to hear thoughts and experiences.

Also... I am new here so take 'er easy.
(doh! sorry for the misspelling in the title)

Old 13-06-2013, 11:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Newporet, OR to Seattle, WA

You need to do it in the summer and make sure everything on the boat is sound. It's a toss up; you could end up motoring alot or have pretty stiff winds and seas. Radar would be good as it's the foggy time of year. Personally, if inexperienced with the boat and otherwise, I would at least get a price to haul it. Old boats almost always have a hidden issue or two. a spade rudder could be one of those things, chainplates, rigging, keel bolts.... you could save money having it hauled to the most southerly place on puget sound... like Olympia....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 12:10   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Agree with Cheechako. You could probably haul it for much cheaper than getting it seaworthy for the forgotten coast.
Old 13-06-2013, 12:41   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

If you do sail you'd have to pick your weather and have a contingency plan for ducking into a port if the weather starts to get a little rough. You'll do quite a bit of motoring so make certain your engine is tip top and the fuel tanks have been spotlessly cleaned and have fresh fuel.

I have to agree with the comments above. I'd try to find a trucking company. Make certain the company you choose has good insurance and make doubly certain the boat and its gear are covered by the insurance in every respect.

kind regards,
Old 13-06-2013, 13:11   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Years ago I sailed a cal 2-29 out of Portland. THe leg from the mouth of the columbia to Neah Bay typically took between 28 and 30 hours due to the adverse wind and current. Speed made good was in the 5 to 6 kt range.

I've made the trip at least 8 times in the Cal and always enjoyed it.

As noted weather plays a huge part in your planning. I did do it once in a gale with 45 kt winds from the SW and 18' seas. We were surfing the Cal at 11+ knots off the waves (and thought we were going to die!).

The Cal 29 were very much like a smaller version of the cal 40 and sail great. Be sure to haul it before setting out and check out the rudder, rigging, engine etc. Also, lay in a supply of fuel filters and plan on the sea churning up sediment in the tank.

I am assuming that this cal has an inboard engine - mine had a 1 cyl Ferryman Diesel that I could actually start by hand (with effort).

Assuming that you have a well found boat you could make the first hop from the Yaquina to the Columbia, Fuel up in Astoria, get some rest and then make the hop to Neah Bay. Fuel again and head into Port Townsend and thus to Seattle.

Which reminds me that you should carry extra fuel in case you end up motoring most of the way up the coast. (40 hours run time worth of fuel at normal cruise RPM might do the trick)

Plan on 5 days with great weather and 7+ days for days of fog.

Or you could truck it. Of course getting it to I5 from Newport might be a problem. This might be the best route - 101 to Astoria, 30 to Longview/Rainer, Over to I5 and thus north to Seattle. Rather than to Corvallis/Salem. Your trucking company would know best.

Regards!
Old 13-06-2013, 13:19   #6

WOW! Thank you for the amazing advice! I am leaning toward sailing it as I would rather spend the money to fix the boat than spend the money to transport the boat that will then need work to do the very same kind of sailing I hope to do.

That being said... the prep work for the boat mentioned is excellent advice. I will be sure to follow through with the items mentioned above.

At this time its a bit of a race between a 1974 Ranger 32 in Bellingham and a Cal 29 in Newport, OR. I am leaning strongly towards the Ranger... but we shall see. Bellingham to Seattle seems a safer bet for a first, and likely ill prepared run.
Old 13-06-2013, 13:21   #7
Marine Service Provider

Lots of boats to choose from. Closer to home is good too.

A quick seach shows Ava Chantel with an Atomic 4. Is that the boat?

Regards
Old 13-06-2013, 13:23   #8

Ava Chantel is the one in Newport yes...
Old 13-06-2013, 13:32   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySails View Post
Ava Chantel is the one in Newport yes...

Looking at the photos brings back a lot of memories. They are lovely boats and my Cal was the only boat that I've ever owned that could back up worth a damn.

Take a look at both, get a survey, run the engine (Moyer Marine does Atomic 4 but I would repower with a small diesel if I had one) and make a choice.

Closer boats means more time to spend on them and less doing an offshore passage with unknowns.

And of course offer less money than asked for.

Yachtworld shows 2 Cal 29 in the area - one in BC and the other in Edmunds. Both more money that the one in Newport.

cal 29 Boats For Sale
Old 13-06-2013, 14:18   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I did the run between Bellingham and Seattle in one day with one other crew. Use the tides with slack just north of port Townsend.

Tags
seattle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: