Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 20:58   #1

Boat: Beneteau, Sense, 43'
Newbie taking 43' Beneteau Sense from Los Angeles to San Francisco (October 19-21)

I recently purchased a sense 43' and have been enjoying day sails, and weekend overnights to Catalina. Next mission it to move her to San Francisco permanently in about two weeks (late Oct).

Crew is a capable skipper from the dealer, my father, a friend and me. Plan is to have me plan, chart, and skipper the boat (experienced guy will only step in if I do something stupid).

Questions: Where are good resources to plan a trip like this? Anyone have experience on this route? Tips and tricks? Any and all advice appreciated. I know it won't be like Catalina

So
Boatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 21:35   #2

Re: Newbie taking 43' Beneteau Sense from Los Angeles to San Francisco (October 19-21

Get this:

The Cruising Guide to Central and Southern California: Golden Gate to Ensenada,Mexico,Including the Offshore Islands: Brian Fagan: 0639785801825: Amazon.com: Books

That's a good start.

Watch the weather. Late October may not be the best time to go.

Has your skipper ever rounded Point Conception?
SailPenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 23:55   #3

Great advice,
Old 06-10-2012, 00:49   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Newbie taking 43' Beneteau Sense from Los Angeles to San Francisco (October 19-21

G'Day Boatlander,

There have been a couple of threads here on CF within the past few weeks on this very subject. A bit of searching on your part will turn up lots more advice, including a list of suitable anchorages if you plan to stop along the way.

It isn't too hard a trip, but if you are held to a specific schedule the wx can be unfavorable. Flexibility is the key to comfortable cruising, but this smacks of a delivery more than a cruise!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 06-10-2012, 03:58   #5

Boat: Catalina 310
There is an online interactive cruising guide called activecaptain.com.

You can also pay for the software from navionics.com. It is a plotting software that is pretty cheap and will let you lay out your estimated course (wind always changes this for us sailors) and if you get it on a device with GPS it will track you progress. It's around $10 for a smart phone and $50 for. A laptop or iPad
Old 06-10-2012, 10:42   #6

Jim, agreed - it's really more of a delivery and a crash course for me (+only taking a few days off work), only crew member with time off is my dad who's retired. me. Looking forward to a more leisurely return next year.

I've been reading the suggestions from the previous replies, and its been very helpful. I've got the navionics app (used it during my BVI bareboat excursion), but everything in BvI was easy and all we needed was in a short day sail (this will be something new . For me I suppose I'm most concerned about routes and times (and how weather effects those decisions). Sounds like much motoring at night, and day sailing. Seems like 4 days sounds right for out delivery like trip.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day Boatlander,

There have been a couple of threads here on CF within the past few weeks on this very subject. A bit of searching on your part will turn up lots more advice, including a list of suitable anchorages if you plan to stop along the way.
Yes, there was a skipper who made up a whole list of anchorages/harbors.

I found it quite amusing, since he essentially copied everything that is ALREADY right in the COAST PILOT!!!!!!

Plan ahead. There aren't too many places to stay anyway, so, know where they are ahead of time. Coho, Pt. Conception, Morro Bay, San Simeon (weather permitting), Monterey, Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay, etc. Then you're there!

Plan to enter the Golden Gate on a flood. If you can't, hug the south shore at Baker Beach to avoid the ebb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatlander View Post
Sounds like much motoring at night, and day sailing. Seems like 4 days sounds right for out delivery like trip.
Not really, the winds blow at night, too!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:57   #8

All,

Thank you for all the advice. Quick update given it's such a great sailing community.

- I successfully moved her up to SF (10/2012)
- Spent the last ~11+ months in the SF Bay sailing like a maniac
- Nearly high-fived Jimmy Spithill and scraped paint (see picture)
- Moved her from SF back to LA (9/2013)
- Got engaged on the way back down

A pretty epic year for a newbie.

"Boatlander" is now sailing out of Marina Del Ray - give a wave if you see us!

-Travis Boatman (yes that's actually my last name)
Old 10-12-2013, 12:57   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Travis, thanks for the update. Really glad that it has worked out so well for you, and congrats on both the voyaging and the engagement. I reckon while sailing is a good time to pop the question... best if at night, headwinds, bad chop and some rain thrown in too. If she says yes then, she may well be a keeper!

Good luck, mate

Jim

Tags
beneteau