Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 18:21   #1

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"
New to Sailing

Hi everybody, we just bought a H28 and need to learn a lot in the next years to come. Most importantly I feel is navigation. I have a chartplotter and a hand held Garmin 60 as backup but I do not like to depend on those. I bought a little booklet on coastal navigation but it doesn't tell me much.
What is the best way to learn good navigation skills?
Thank you
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:29   #2

The U.S. Coast Guard teaches basic and advanced navigation to the public for a nominal fee. It would be a long commute to class for you, but surely there must be similar arrangements in Australia?

The USCG course text is online at E-LIB - Basic and Advanced Coastal Navigation if you are looking for something to read. Good luck.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:00   #3

Boat: MARTZCRAFT 35 'JET LAG'
I found my local library had a fair range of navigation books. Don't know if you have access to your library but worth a try.
drinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 09:26   #4

Boat: 17ft Van de Stad
Hi,

Bowditch's Practical American Navigator would give you all you need in means of theory.
It is the Bible of Navigators..

One of the sources you can find it : Bowditch Online

Apart these writen sources: always the same: PRACTICE. Watch the landmarks during coastal cruising, plot them on paper charts, have a bearing compass in your pocket all the time so that you get the habit to work with angles.
Old 19-07-2010, 12:49   #5
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Buy a GPS, switch it on, and give it a go. If you need, read the instruction book, but I never knew anyone who had to do that yet... Welcome aboard!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 18:04   #6

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaza Dana View Post
Buy a GPS, switch it on, and give it a go. If you need, read the instruction book, but I never knew anyone who had to do that yet... Welcome aboard!
funny I was thinking along those lines. Reading navigation books feels a bit like doing a course in accounting :-) ( sorry to the accountants here)
My better half asked what about a plan B? I thought plan B would be another GPS powered by batteries and handheld. I know how to use a compass and have maps. We should be ok.
Thanks for the replies
Reiner
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 18:46   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
go take one of the asa sailing courses or the asa nav class - they are excellent and you will get the idea - i did my learning in the mountains of idaho and it was an easy transition but when i went to charter the first time they wanted me to take the asa nav course which i did and at the 1st break the instructor apologized that he made me take it and asked that i tutor a real slow learner
had fun at it

learn it well as you never know when you will need it - we got with lightening in bahamas and only had gps for position and had paper charts to get back - hit our intended destination in miami right on in 7' seas - (God does see sailors back home)

chuck patty and svsoulmates
on hook st marys city, md

chuck patty and svsoulmates
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 19:31   #8

There's three main kinds of 'navigation'....ded reckoning (deduced), celestial, and GPS....

GPS requires little to no brains.

Ded is pretty simple, if you can remember T=SxD (time equals speed times distance). Not much in the way of tools, and most all of it is self-learnable from books (Bowditch, Duttons, a few other good books).

Celestial requires skill and tools. You can try to teach yourself, and might succeed. It's a LOT easier with a teacher.
Old 23-07-2010, 16:10   #9

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
It doesn't hurt to eventually learn all three methods.