Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2013, 10:11   #1

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Thumbs up New Navionics App for Android

Anyone who has a Nexus7 or similar tablet can now use Navionics without needing to side load the App. Nexus7 is now certified for the App and it can be downloaded directly from Play Store. Be sure to say yes to the offer of a HD map file when you are installing. So far it works great for me. No problem downloading and running a Map that extends from Olympia all the way north to above Campbell River/Desolation. I have not tried the GPS tracking function yet but looks excellent so far.

Delighted to finally have such a nice backup to the ol' Garmin.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:43   #2

Boat: Nimble Nomad Trawler
Re: New Navionics App for Android

We recently completed a 3 week trip to the Abacos on a friends 52 Ocean. He had a Garmin 4212 plotter and we of course did use it , but I also used my Samsung Tab 10.2 tablet with the Navionics HD charts on it. He would frequently turn to me and ask me to quickly enlarge a harbor we were entering. Its just much quicker on a tablet. I found the charts to be very easy to read and accurate.
Now, if they would on add the course up feature!!
"Sweet Pea" Hull #1
Nimble1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:37   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Silverton 33' "First Noel"

The couse up feature is coming soon. I just not sure what soon means anymore....... You will get an update notice when it does become available.
JNoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 16:05   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimble1 View Post
We recently completed a 3 week trip to the Abacos on a friends 52 Ocean. He had a Garmin 4212 plotter and we of course did use it , but I also used my Samsung Tab 10.2 tablet with the Navionics HD charts on it. He would frequently turn to me and ask me to quickly enlarge a harbor we were entering. Its just much quicker on a tablet. I found the charts to be very easy to read and accurate.
Now, if they would on add the course up feature!!
Just loaded Navionics on my Samsung Tab also, and while the chart quality is good (which I already knew) the app itself is very disappointing... "You're kidding right?"...level of disappointing. Basically just a chart viewing app w minimal functionality.

I run Fugawi ENC using Navionics on my laptop...wow, what a difference...unfortunately, based upon emails w Fugawi, they have no plans to make an Android version.

Navionics on Amdroid is still a good deal for the charts alone, but the app is a bad joke. And, since it has little or no import/export capabilities it is inconvenient to supplement w another app. For example, I also run "GPS Essentials" which has lots of functionality, but cant access routes, waypoints, or charts from Navionics.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 07:57   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Silverton 33' "First Noel"

belizesailor-"Just loaded Navionics on my Samsung Tab also, and while the chart quality is good (which I already knew) the app itself is very disappointing... "You're kidding right?"...level of disappointing. Basically just a chart viewing app w minimal functionality"

So what else would you like the Navioncs app to do?? It does waypoints, routes, Tracks, Tides & Currents, community edits, syn data with some chart plotters, Magazine and Guides along with some in APP purchases. Rembere this is not a PC or a chart plotter.
JNoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 12:41   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoel View Post
belizesailor-"Just loaded Navionics on my Samsung Tab also, and while the chart quality is good (which I already knew) the app itself is very disappointing... "You're kidding right?"...level of disappointing. Basically just a chart viewing app w minimal functionality"

So what else would you like the Navioncs app to do?? It does waypoints, routes, Tracks, Tides & Currents, community edits, syn data with some chart plotters, Magazine and Guides along with some in APP purchases. Rembere this is not a PC or a chart plotter.
Just basic nav functionality would be nice...as far as I can tell you can create routes and wps but not do mich w them... follow a route, goto a way point, some basic nav data when underway....there are apps for android which do these things and then some...just not Navionics.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 18:01   #7

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Well I'm actually surprised that it has as many features as it does. Sure, it would be great if it did more, but at the price with access to all those charts, and accurate realtime tracking it's a steal.
Old 17-08-2013, 17:36   #8

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

I am a newbie to chartplotters so I cannot make a comparisons reviews but I use a somewhat aging Garmin 585 that came with the boat and the Navionics charts app for SE Asia on my Galaxy S Note 2 smartphone.

I much prefer the Navionics app on my smartphone. I use the Garmin when I am at the helm or setting the autopilot because it is conveniently located on the display right in front of the wheel. I never use the other functions because of the complex and confusing menu driven navigation interface. Currently it has all sorts of tracks and things all over the display and I will have to go and find the instruction booklet so I can clear them. It is not at all intuitive.

The Navionics on my smartphone are just about perfect for me. The charts are excellent, the GPS accurate and the overlays using google earth useful on occasions like deciding where to anchor close to roads or other shore based facilities (or anchor away from them). Getting the latest tidal information through the 3G link is seamless and invaluable in the shallow coastal waters I regularly cruise.
Even though I am using it on a small 5" phone screen and not a tablet the touch screen zoom in and out is so easy and accurate that it is not a nuisance. But I might prefer a larger tablet screen if I had one.

I am still working my way through the "community edits" function. I have made a few contributions but it seems that so far in these far flung foreign waters of Thailand there are few contributors. This is a shame because I would have thought it would be useful because of the lack of official information.

I have used the waypoints function but not often, I much prefer the real time tracking which I use constantly. I also often use the tracking as a basic anchor drift indicator.

The new hi res sonarcharts sounds exciting I can't wait until they release it for the waters around SEAsia which is a popular charter boat cruising area

As to my suggested improvement

1. release "Sonarcharts" for Thailand asap please !!!!!
2. What about a speed over ground and a heading indicator. They should be easy enough to program in.
3. build in an anchor drift alarm function into the app.
4. the app provides a simple local wind indicator which is nice but only current information. I can look out the window for that. I would like to see an ability to download and/or integrate a more detail grib file because I mostly like to look and plan ahead and at the wider picture. I can do it as a separate app now but integrating them would be nicer.
5. add an anchor drift alarm.
6. I keep the phone in a protective case but I regularly accidently "touch" the screen and lose data like tracking information. Perhaps some sort of autosave and backtracking ability to recover lost data.
7. Being able to change the thickness of the trace line would make the display nicer. Also what about different trace characteristics for different trips (colour, line, dots)
8. what about a MOB or a HOB (hat overboard) button.

Thats all I can think of for now

Tags
navionics