Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2014, 11:33   #16

Boat: Tayana 37
Re: New Jersey Inlets report

There is not enough water inside anywhere in New Jersey for a five foot draft boat, especially along Long Beach Island. So, you are definitely going to have to go outside.

I have spent a lot of time in these waters and come in and out of most every inlet on the coast, mainly in small outboards. With that experience, when we came south earlier this summer from Sandy Hook to Cape May, the only inlet I felt comfortable using was Absecon (Atlantic City). Manasquan is not bad, but there is really nowhere to go once you are in unless you are going into a marina. Barnegat Light is extremely sketchy in my experience. Growing up on Long Beach Island, it seemed that someone died in that inlet every year. And, going through myself, I have been surprised by breaking waves that came out of nowhere and broke into the channel, even on fairly good weather days. 99 out of 100 times, you will be fine coming into Barnegat, I just do not want to be there for that one other time. Ocean City is a fine inlet, but you probably will not have much use for it as it is nearly to Cape May. It shifts frequently, so it is good to call the local TowBoatUS there for recent local knowledge.

As other folks have said, it is not a bad sail from Sandy Hook to Cape May, just an easy overnighter. My wife was very worried about the trip this summer, but she actually enjoyed herself. You can watch .
Helbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 13:08   #17

Boy I see what you are saying, Saturday looks good, but then that's it, then picks up again, Monday and Tuesday are best bets, tough this time of year I know, we would tuna fish and real hard stringing consecutive days together. Hang in there, sounds like an awesome trip and you will really enjoy the Bahama's better after this! What's the moon, sometimes this time of year we get extreme tides, so if true maybe doable in the back??
FRI
NW WINDS 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 KT. SEAS 4 TO
6 FT. MAINLY IN E SWELL WITH A DOMINANT PERIOD OF 9 SECONDS.

FRI NIGHT
NW WINDS 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 KT. SEAS
2 TO 4 FT. MAINLY IN E SWELL WITH A DOMINANT PERIOD OF
10 SECONDS.

SAT
W WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT. MAINLY IN E SWELL
WITH A DOMINANT PERIOD OF 10 SECONDS.

SAT NIGHT
W WINDS 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT. SEAS
2 TO 4 FT.

SUN
NW WINDS 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT. SEAS 3 TO
5 FT.

SUN NIGHT
NW WINDS 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 KT. SEAS
3 TO 4 FT.

MON
NW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT...BECOMING W 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS 2 TO
3 FT.

TUE
SW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...INCREASING TO 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 2 TO
4 FT.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 18:01   #18

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

I was just wondering how you were holding out. Did you make an attempt tonight through Saturday staying close to the shore?

Looks like Monday / Tuesday is another shot.

Paul
pesarsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 18:04   #19

Boat: Looking for a new boat

I am currently just North of Manasquam Inlet with some solid 3G. It's puffing 5-10 seas 1-2. Hoping it will hold till we at least get to ac In the morning. I would take 10-15 out of the nw too but beggars can't be choosers and I'm just glad it's not blowing 30!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-10-2014, 20:53   #20

Boat: Valiant 40

If I were you I would run from Sandy Hook to Atlantic City. I would not try and pull into any of the inlets in between unless I absolutely had to. What looks like flat water from 50 yards away can turn out to be a literal hole, with standing waves, and even scarier, standing troughs, should the wind set up against the current...and it does not take much to get it going. In a smaller powerboat, it's actually easier to get in and out of the inlets as you can skirt the main current and you have the power and maneuverability to get yourself out of trouble. Not so in a big sailboat.

I would particularly avoid Barnegat in any deeper draft boat, and I know it extremely well from fishing around there in my Parker during the fall for over a dozen years. Once you get past the middle of the breakwaters you're fine until you pass the CG station but then the channel turns into a serpentine nightmare with shifting sand shoals everywhere. I brought my Valiant in there two years ago as I had to pick someone up and I ran aground three times trying to get into Meyer's hole from the marked channel. Attempting to navigate the zigzagging, narrow, and shallow Oyster channel to get to the main channel going down Barnegat Bay will make your hair turn grey. Done it dozens of times with no worries in the Parker, would not attempt it in a keelboat unless my TowboatUS membership was up to date.

Save yourself a whole bunch of angst and uncertainty and just go outside. Are you going up the river to the head of the Chesapeake and down from there? I would if I were you unless I was in a crazy hurry or had good weather to shoot down to Norfolk.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 12:16   #21

I'm hoping you pressed on past AC, for the last 50 mi to Cape May.

Your winds should stay out of the west/NW and seas should be 1-3 close inshore until Sunday. By then you'll be sipping rum runners in Cape May.

The trip up the Delaware is easy- peasy just try to use the tides high tide at Reedy point is 12:36 pm on Sunday. If you leave Cape May early Sunday AM you can make a great anchorage at the west end of the C&D canal called engineers basin.

Good Sailing
Old 25-10-2014, 13:16   #22

On further inspection, Sunday will be beating to windward for 51 mi. Looks like a west / SW wind midweek if you want to hang out in Cape May. My suggestion is to press on then take a breather in Annapolis ( a drinking town with a sailing problem) .
In case you need it they have a pumpout boat! (should still be running)
Old 25-10-2014, 13:58   #23

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Stopped in ac because we were knackered (some light drinking with friends may have happened the night before, we certainly aren't the first sailors to go to sea with a hangover.) looking a an early morning run on Monday to Cape May then on to c&d on Tues

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 25-10-2014, 14:03   #24

If you anchored toward the south end of the bridge, beware the current REALLY RIPS!

Safe travels
Paul
Old 25-10-2014, 15:16   #25
gfh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helbent View Post
There is not enough water inside anywhere in New Jersey for a five foot draft boat, especially along Long Beach Island. So, you are definitely going to have to go outside.
I've sailed from north of Barnegat Inlet to Atlantic City on the inside with 5' draft:

Cruise to Atlantic City | Sailing Fortuitous

You might need a little luck with the water level (wind and runoff are often a larger factor than the tide on our bays) but it's definitely possible.

Tags
new jersey