Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2017, 16:33   #1

Need some help with trip

so i feel like an idiot for posting this.... I am a lifelong boater with thousands of hours running various boats...

I just bought a 35 bertram from virginia (just north of norfolk).
in october my wife and i will be bringing it down to morehead nc.

I have never travleled like this on a boat... my boating has been offshore and from morehead to the cape.

my question is twofold.

first what route is the best.. we want inshore scenic. Looking to take about 3 days to get back.

next whats the best way to plot the trip. I have a few gps's from various boats we have or have had. A garmin 580, humminbird and furuno 1680....

i am open to laptop and raster etc...

thanks for any advice.
yardpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 17:35   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Need some help with trip

There is pretty much just one route. Buy the Norfolk/Miami ICW Chartbook
Old 26-08-2017, 18:02   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Yes, more or less one way to get from VA to NC inshore. The ICW starts in Norfolk and will take you all the way there. If it's not closed for some reason (occasionally low water) just south of Norfolk the ICW splits and you can take the main channel or the Dismal Swamp route. I haven't done the swamp but hear it's quite scenic.

Yes, get the chartbook. Also get one of the guidebooks. Skipper Bob's Anchorages Along the INtracoastal Waterway https://www.waterwayguide.com/shipst...products_id=60 is very handy to keep by the helm. In addition to anchorages it lists all the bridges and locks by name and in order heading south and the VHF channel they monitor. Makes it very easy to call them as you approach to request an opening.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 05:41   #4

Thanks.

I have never planed, plotted a trip like this. Honestly whatever trips i have made int he past (up to newbern, to oriental and ocracoke) i have just followed the markers and got where i needed to go.

This trip requires much more planning than i am used to.

I have downloaded and got open CPN running and like the charting, but it shows no fuel, etc locations.

I am thinking of trying to make elizabeth city on day one, and day two make Morehead.

I am thinking dismal swamp route. I have heard it is closed anyone know anything about that? My draft is only about 3 feet.

also have never done any locks, etc... should be a cool experience.
Old 28-08-2017, 05:47   #5

Boat: Camano Troll

You can easily check the status of the Dismal Swamp Canal on the Internet. Just do a web search. It is currently closed but scheduled to reopen in September.
Old 28-08-2017, 06:41   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

To get information on marinas, fueling locations etc you need one of the ICW guides. Online you can access that information on the websites for Waterway Guides or Active Captain,

https://www.waterwayguide.com/

https://activecaptain.com/index.php

It's good to check these before you leave to get the latest information on any issues on the ICW like bridges closed for some problem or construction, any new shoaling on the ICW to avoid.

I highly recommend having a copy on board of the Waterway Guide for the area you'll travel. Not only does it have all the marina information but also small chart excerpts for the marinas, towns, etc.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 06:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardpro View Post
Thanks.

I have never planed, plotted a trip like this. Honestly whatever trips i have made int he past (up to newbern, to oriental and ocracoke) i have just followed the markers and got where i needed to go.

This trip requires much more planning than i am used to.

I have downloaded and got open CPN running and like the charting, but it shows no fuel, etc locations.

I am thinking of trying to make elizabeth city on day one, and day two make Morehead.

I am thinking dismal swamp route. I have heard it is closed anyone know anything about that? My draft is only about 3 feet.

also have never done any locks, etc... should be a cool experience.

Dismal Swamp supposed to reopen shortly. Get the latest from their website. Your draft will be no issue center channel but set your depth alarm.

I'd break out your trip days as follows:

Day 1 - early start and goal is Dismal Swamp to Elizabeth City or Canal to Coinjock. It is a long run. If you don't quite make EC there is a marina just before the railroad bridge.

Here your schedule needs to open for an Albemarle weather window.

Day 2 - cross Albemarle, down Alligator River, stay in Belhaven or Lower Dowry Creek -- unless you can make Oriental, NC

Day 3 - You already know Oriental so grab the two nights free on the expanded town dock. If you don't view this as a delivery then enjoy the time in Oriental. Best coffee shop on the AICW. From there it is a short run down to Morehead.

You can make the trip in less time but try to keep a little flexibility for Albemarle.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 07:22   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

Basic chart plotter or chart book will be fine for overall route planning and navigation. Also Active Captain, which has a tremendous amount of user entered/local knowledge content for the ICW.

For 90% of the trip you're going to be following markers, and here are a few tips, some of which you can probably cheat on given your shallower draft.

Stay about 40' off the markers, and make your turns wide and long. The ICW is dredged to accommodate commercial traffic, and barges and tugs make wider sweeping turns. Hug a marker and make a hairpin turn around it at a dogleg and you'll be churning mud.

Be extra careful where the ICW meets other bodies of water with respect to identifying and interpreting markers. That is where you'll find shoaling and the markers may have been moved. For example, where the ICW meets Albermarle Sound and then again entering the Alligator River (if you go that way) follow the markers, not the chart. Also keep an eye out for added shoal markers that will not be charted, and give them a wide berth.

Route planning is essentially making sure that you can get to a marina/anchorage before dark, and planning your fuel stops. If you have a significant air draft, another factor is timing your transit to synch with bridge openings so you're not waiting around. I adjust my speed so I arrive at the bridge shortly before it opens. Countless times I've had boats tear past me and disappear, only to catch up to them at the next bridge where they've been idling and waiting.

I personally think the eastern route is more scenic, and it avoids the tedium of of the long straight shot down the along the swamp.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 05:00   #9

thanks for all the replies.

The boat i am getting is a 35 bertram so my draft is only 3' We are trying to do the trip in 2 1/2 days but could make a 3 day if needed. Not super concerned about weather in the albermarle as the boat will handle it as can we (lifelong boaters and many offshore trips a year).

As for the choice of route, thanks for the input, I have been torn to which way to go. I heave heard about the dismal swamp for years and have heard it is beautiful and must do once.

We likely will not be going back up northwards in the future so i had planned to take that route. We can run at more speed going the other way and make better time, but did not know about the scenery. I know its about 3 miles longer, but that is insignificant in the scope of the trip.

This Boat is a 21st anniversary present to ourselves, and we want to do a mini vacation, but due to work and kid schedule this year we cant do more than a 3 day trip.

is the other route really as nice as the swamp route?
Old 31-08-2017, 06:04   #10

IMO go Dismal because it is so unique. Heads-up helming required. It's so tight I run with autopilot and a kitchen timer on 1 minute continuous resets. This prevents my watchstanding focus from drifting.

Given your plan - Try to make Elizabeth City free town docks for your first night. They are also a boater-friendly town - I would say (just my view) EC is second only to Oriental in welcoming spirit. Your boat is faster than mine. If you are ahead of schhedule anchoring in the northern edge of the Alligator river is also a treat. Trip line recommmended.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote