We are planning to take our boat from Lake Erie to Florida
, starting the trip this summer. I am trying to figure out what paper charts
I need to use with the cruising guides
and backup the electronic charts
Our plan is Erie Canal, Hudson
River to NYC
. Waterway to the Chesapeake. Sail outside to Beaufort
, NC. Sail outside to Wilmington. Sail outside to Charleston. Sail ouside to Hilton Head
. Waterway to Miami
and Fla Keys. Miami/Keys to Bahamas
. When sailing outside, we will want the ICW
as a backup route
, so we may be navigating inside as well.
I have no paper charts of these areas (but I do have the Explorer charts for the Bahamas) and there are hundreds of charts covering the geography (as you all know). I have all of the NOAA charts on my laptop
in addition to the electronic charts for my plotter. Now I am trying to figure out what to buy. So here are my questions:
1. Is there a good rule
of thumb (i.e. You only need the larger scale charts)?
2. Are there any areas where I don't need charts if I have the cruising guides
3. Are there certain versions of cruising guides that will negate the need for paper charts?
4. Are there certain areas where I need the more detailed charts?
5. Are used charts acceptable, and if so, how old is acceptable?
6. Where can I get a good deal buying
Thanks in advance.