Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2016, 11:14   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Need help from USN Small Boat Vet

I believe it is "secretary Kerry" funny how history works. Good luck in November.
Old 15-01-2016, 11:21   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I believe it is "secretary Kerry" funny how history works. Good luck in November.
For the dishonor he has shown to his men and his country he has forfeited any right of honors such as Secretary from me. Period.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 11:27   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Oh listen to the sabers being rattled, "If I was in charge, I'd bomb the whole lot of them. Talking is just appeasement." It's easy to be tough, if you are too old and don't have kids that will get shot up. Yes, governments lie to save face - so what. I would rather have a few half-truths than get in a shooting war, and I suspect that cooler heads in Tehran and Washington think the same. By the way, before any of you start questioning how honorable and brave John Kerry is, have the courtesy to read his silver and bronze star commendations. It may have been a foolish war, but at the boat commander's level, it was dangerous.
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 11:31   #19

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsmias View Post
the same ones that saved us from kerry the traitor
Ah, Kerry's not a traitor he's actually part of your government
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 11:32   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
For the dishonor he has shown to his men and his country he has forfeited any right of honors such as Secretary from me. Period.
He showed no dishonor but did get all the men out
Old 15-01-2016, 11:37   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
If you don't call a female being humiliated and forced to wear an Islamic headdress not harm..
I think Tommy Hilfiger is coming out with a line of new berkas acually this year. Some folks like them......
Old 15-01-2016, 11:43   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:

The "strayed into Iranian waters" story being put out by Iran and our groveling and appeasing State Dept. is utter and complete BS from one end to the other." - Matt Bracken
In a nutshell, my twenty yrs, six months and five days say the same, there is more to this than we will ever hear about.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 11:45   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
In a nutshell, my twenty yrs, six months and five days say the same, there is more to this than we will ever hear about.
Im with you on this.
Old 15-01-2016, 12:00   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Could someone help me understand how TWO state of the art USN small boats could be unaware that they were within 3 miles of an Iranian island?

For Pete's sake they should have been able to see it!!!! If one had a mechanical issue, why not tow?

Please don't pile on, sincerely trying to understand the cluster.

They call it GRO ground research operation.
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 12:01   #25

Moth to the flame. How close can we go?
Steve1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 12:11   #26

We need to know what the mission of these two boats was... photo surveillance? They would need to get as close as they could... maybe.

Not being familiar with the charts of the area... perhaps the territorial limit was not precise... follow a coastline????? and they simply cross over into Iranian waters...

The story had to spin it because the US gov is not going to openly admit to spying... but it's hard to think of what they could have been up to.

The second boat was simply following the first... so they were led into whatever.

Do we know how they were captured? Probably a much larger boat and they were out gunned and not willing to be blown out of the water so they probably tried to come up with some excuses and the BS was fabricated.

Iran probably wanting NOT to piss off the US went along with the fake stories... but the Navy got the message... you get too close... you are in trouble. If Iran WANTED to piss off the US they would make a humiliating show trial etc... and things would escalate...

The whole thing is insane... we really know how to screw things up wherever we send the forces in.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 12:35   #27

Boat: Selene 47

Good thing nothing is "Published" regarding 99.99% of military ops, the media can really make a mess of things.
CrustyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 14:48   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
We need to know what the mission of these two boats was... photo surveillance? They would need to get as close as they could... maybe.

Not being familiar with the charts of the area... perhaps the territorial limit was not precise... follow a coastline????? and they simply cross over into Iranian waters...

The story had to spin it because the US gov is not going to openly admit to spying... but it's hard to think of what they could have been up to.

The second boat was simply following the first... so they were led into whatever.

Do we know how they were captured? Probably a much larger boat and they were out gunned and not willing to be blown out of the water so they probably tried to come up with some excuses and the BS was fabricated.

Iran probably wanting NOT to piss off the US went along with the fake stories... but the Navy got the message... you get too close... you are in trouble. If Iran WANTED to piss off the US they would make a humiliating show trial etc... and things would escalate...

The whole thing is insane... we really know how to screw things up wherever we send the forces in.
I know a little about the capability of sat imagery. Photo recon from their boat is plain stupid. Didn't happen. As has been said earlier. A two boat movement of sailors or seals is SOP. I would put my money on that they were taken in international waters as a provocation by the Iranian Guards who crazy hardliners and based on the island in question. There are nut job brass in the Iranian Guards who would love to scuttle the Iranian / US deal. Not that I am saying I am supportive of the deal. But their are forces in Iran who want to attack the US now and don't want to be even seen as having any agreement with the USA.

This was definitely a provocation that was cut short by others in Iran who want to get their hands on the $1.5 billion out of Washington. So it was shut down from Tehran. Lets see what they arguing to do once they have got the money they are hanging out for. I am sure this event will be just a show of more and even worse to come. But what do I know.
Old 15-01-2016, 15:03   #29

Boat: Cape Dory 27D

Quote:
What a former Navy SEAL had to say about it.

Matt Bracken's thoughts: "I rarely pull out my dusty old trident, but in this case, here goes. I was a Navy SEAL officer in the 1980s, and this kind of operation (transiting small boats in foreign waters) was our bread and butter. Today, these boats both not only had radar, but multiple GPS devices, including chart plotters that place your boat's icon right on the chart. The claim by Iran that the USN boats "strayed into Iranian waters" is complete bull$‪#‎it‬.

For an open-water transit between nations, the course is studied and planned in advance by the leaders of the Riverine Squadron, with specific attention given to staying wide and clear of any hostile nation's claimed territorial waters. The boats are given a complete mechanical check before departure, and they have sufficient fuel to accomplish their mission plus extra. If, for some unexplainable and rare circumstance one boat broke down, the other would tow it, that's why two boats go on these trips and not one! It's called "self-rescue" and it's SOP.

This entire situation is in my area of expertise. I can state with complete confidence that both Iran and our own State Department are lying. The boats did not enter Iranian waters. They were overtaken in international waters by Iranian patrol boats that were so superior in both speed and firepower that it became a "hands up!" situation, with automatic cannons in the 40mm to 76mm range pointed at them point-blank. Surrender, hands up, or be blown out of the water. I assume that the Iranians had an English speaker on a loudspeaker to make the demand. This takedown was no accident or coincidence, it was a planned slap across America's face.

Just watch. The released sailors will be ordered not to say a word about the incident, and the Iranians will have taken every GPS device, chart-plotter etc off the boats, so that we will not be able to prove where our boats were taken.

The "strayed into Iranian waters" story being put out by Iran and our groveling and appeasing State Dept. is utter and complete BS from one end to the other." - Matt Bracken
I served in the USN '65-71. Served as an Assault Boat Coxswain LCVP and LCM boats as well as a SAR Sea Air Rescue Coxswain. Even at that ancient and ancient time, boat operators were trained in navigation apart from relying on electronic navigational aids. I am confident that today's Navy equips small boats with GPS as well as Radar and backs up the electronic systems with adequate dead reckoning and celestial navigation skills taught to the boat operators. Beyond what is available on board to navigate, the movement of the small craft would be monitored by the fleet and if the group had mechanical trouble, the crew could have radioed for assistance.

I strongly believe that what has been reported is a fabrication. I also strongly believe that the boat crews would not have been allowed to engage except to return fire if fired upon.

One last comment, I find the snarky comment regarding the Navy being a place for subjects not qualified for the Army to be out of line and offensive. All men and woman who serve this country should be equally offended by this remark. I am proud to have served and proud to have been in the greatest Navy to ever sail. I am equally proud of my fellow veterans, Army, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard.

Enough said?
MCOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 15:19   #30

Boat: Sea Ray,SundancerDA,30

Hi all,
well i been in the navy in 73-76. i also reenlisted in 88-95 in small boat division, COOP101 and also a MIUWU 101. The equipt we had then to what they have today? hands down better.. more precise. Our government makes deals with all country's world wide on military equipment. If our government believes that their trade can be better by accidentally handing over our new technology for some thing we want,they they will have this set up to do it.. like This new incident.. These riverine boats are all manned by special forces personnel. Our MIUWU we trained with these personnel and we did the same type of enforcement. if we had to enter enemies water, we had to destroy all Classified equipment and materials if being captured.
So seeing how our government gives our technology away like this, so they don't have to make deals that persons will complain about the cost going there. they simply put this in motion. We gave away our deciphering machine and codes to Russia, we gave our Sidewinder missile away to
East Germany, we gave our Anti sub technology to the Chinese. All these personnel and the planes, ships were handed back with no incident, torture or what ever. So this was an intent situation perpetrated by our own government....
CC45 is offline   Reply With Quote