Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 05:44   #16

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Re: Need Advice to Get to Maine

Another book that I find invaluable is the " Cruising Guide to the New England Coast" by Duncan and Fenn (s). And absolutely have a copy of Eldridge..
Old 07-07-2011, 05:45   #17
cruiser

Don't miss Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket.
chloeusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 13:38   #18

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeusa View Post
Another vote for the Taft guide and for Eldredge. Tides and currents up this way are a bigger factor than on the Chessie. We used to be huge fans of the Cruising Guide to the New England Coast and it is still useful. However, be aware that the content hasn't been updated in years so some of the harbor service details are out of date. We used the Maptech Cruising Guide last year which was rudimentary, but up to date.

The travel itineraries for offshore and gunkholing are both sound. A lot depends on how much time you have. If you're going back south this year, you will be very likely doing day trips against the prevailing sou'westerlies unless you wait until September. Many of us who overnight to get up to Maine in a hurry still see the sights on the way back.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 14:10   #19

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest

David, Thanks for pointing out that the CG to NE is a little outdated, I had thought to mention it and forgot... I still find their discussions of harbors etc useful to me and carry it on-board. I think the last update was 2002. So, names of harbormasters, phone numbers etc etc..would certainly be suspect as you say.

As mentioned...Active Captain or other current guide books will have better contact information.

I like to use all the tools in the drawer if I'm entering a New Harbor or sailing ground.
One of my favorites lately is Google earth.....if you want to get a " feel" for the entrance to Block Island eg.....Google earth has a great shot...

Tags
maine