Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2019, 18:24   #31

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Need advice on electronics upgrade.

You missed a chance to make a valid point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Or trying to cross a bar or enter an inlet in **** weather trying to pick your way through rocks and shoals
that IS the time when you really DO need a chart plotter right in front of your helm!

and,

Quote:
phones go in the water tablets get wet, **** happens.
Tablets also get sat upon and the operating systems sometimes decide to pester you with update notices.
Old 02-07-2019, 18:47   #32

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
In choosing an MFD vendor you should consider the chart situation. With Garmin you will be constrained to their charts. Others, including Furuno, may give you a choice of Cmap or Navionics charts. In the case of Furuno in the US, NOAA vector and raster charts are included and are updated annually - for free. Some competitors will bundle US charts, at a cost, but will require a purchase for updates. IIRC some vendors change chart formats relatively frequently, thus obsoleting the chartplotter. Definitely do your homework regarding the chart situation as part of your MFD choice.

Greg

Garmin now owns Navionics. I spoke to Garmin late in 2018 and they said that eventually they will be combining the best of both into one chart. The person I spoke to was not sure if the new charts would be compatible with the older ones or if updates could be applied to older charts. We'll have to wait and see with those.

I also like the lighthouse charts since they look like the paper charts.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 19:47   #33

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Or trying to cross a bar or enter an inlet in **** weather trying to pick your way through rocks and shoals trying to pan over to see if there’s a better route etc through and your mfd is too far away to pan and the waters to rough to trust the autopilot on a lee shore. I agree though, a pc or some sort of secondary plotter below to plot or re-route/re-plan the next few days travel is essential as a backup and for ease of use. Wifi, tablets and phones are the icing on the cake but should not be relied on; phones go in the water tablets get wet **** happens.
In those situations I am usually at the helm keeping my eyes out for markers, current lines, water colour changes, etc while my wife is closely monitoring the video game, aka chart plotter.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 20:00   #34
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
In those situations I am usually at the helm keeping my eyes out for markers, current lines, water colour changes, etc while my wife is closely monitoring the video game, aka chart plotter.
Must be nice having marked inlets. Attempting unmarked inlets in the dark is even more fun
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 20:01   #35
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
You missed a chance to make a valid point:
that IS the time when you really DO need a chart plotter right in front of your helm!

and,

Tablets also get sat upon and the operating systems sometimes decide to pester you with update notices.
That was my point.

I’ve been finding even the Garmin updates a pain. I couldn’t acquire a satellite this spring (after April rollover) for nearly 72 hours until I updated the software, then reinstalled a second time. Thought my plotter was a door stop.
Old 02-07-2019, 20:03   #36

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Must be nice having marked inlets. Attempting unmarked inlets in the dark is even more fun
Must be nice having local knowledge - the only way I'd do that entrance at night🤣
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 20:36   #37
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Must be nice having local knowledge - the only way I'd do that entrance at night🤣
Nope, been using Garmin long enough to trust their west coast charts and spotting/listening for rocks in swell is easy enough and radar takes care of the rest. I worry more about logs, they’re unpredictable and when just below the surface nothing can see them. We generally get long days up here but in Late August I have been in moonless nights so black you can’t see your hand in front of your face thankfully not while underway (seriously though it’s kind of terrifying) Point is having something within reach while piloting is a safety feature if you need to reassess and find an alternate route/ anchorage, double check a shallow/tight passage it sucks having to leave the helm to do it but having to plot on a real chart plotter is a pain. I would rather have a PC with a mouse.
Old 02-07-2019, 21:30   #38

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
. . .
On the other hand, if you are under sail on a passage (cruising, right?) you're not back there steering, the autopilot or windvane is doing that. You, or your watch stander, will be leaning their back against the cockpit seatback and monitoring some instruments in their line of sight, like for a change in wind direction, etc.
Which as somebody else mentioned is one of the nice things about the B&Gs. The MFD makes a common phone or iPad a repeater, so you can be sitting forward or even below and see the AIS, course, etc, which is being displayed on the MFD. Without needing to go behind the wheel.

The other reason for putting the MFD at the helm is that as you come in or out, you may want to change screens and that means touching the face or buttons on the MFD. If it's on the bulkhead you can't. Plus it is too far to see detail well.
Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 17:40   #39

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch
Need advice on electronics upgrade.

Opencpn/openplotter, a raspberry pi, and a iPad Air 2 USING VNC to view open con on the iPad Air 2. You can overlay ais and gribs on opencpn. Power consumption is tiny, the screen is sealed and has a glare coating built into it.
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 00:21   #40

Boat: Ted brewer 40

I’m going to go with b@g with h5000 to start. I’ll add on as paychecks come in. Thanks for y’all time in responding. Aloha
Tim francis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics