Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2014, 05:31   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Need Advice:New Orleans to Gulfport

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Sorry to hear that bad news. Understand the urgency to get there though.

I'll second the Gulfport small craft harbor marina. Nice place. But I haven't entered after dark there. It's east of the main shipping channel with large spoil areas on each side. I don't sail through spoil areas in new to me waters. So others can offer better advice.
My condolences also , but why not just leave the boat in a marina near NOLA rather than a rushed move at a bad time?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:48   #17
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
Hey, friends in fact our family own that Island! Cool, where did you anchor by the burnt down oil platform?
YUP.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rabbit island.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	93340
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:56   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandkg View Post
Thanks for the advice when looking at charts i was planning to stay in channel but the areas of concern is coming into marinas in area charts show lots of shools 3-4 feet. They are going to splash me in the water @7-8 am and with winter daylight hours going to be getting close to dark getting there and don't feel spending night on sandbar thrilling...lol
On the ICW it's always good to call the marina on the VHF, they will usually tell you how deep the entry channel is.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:17   #19

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
Where are you stay? My boat is staying at Lake Catherine Island Marina (formally my family's Lake Catherine Marina, retired and sold off). It's right after the rigolets bridge, give them a call may be able to hold it there for a few weeks..

- Ronnie...on the geaux
Your sister wouldn't happen to be "Vee", would she?
NOLA_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:40   #20

The approach to Gulfport from the ICW is straight and fat as it serves commercial vessels including the banana boats that used to call on New Orleans.

Things are a little skinnier once you enter the channel to the small craft marina but it's well marked (IIRC) and should be well maintained as the marina berths the ~100' Ship Island ferry. The channel runs along the eastern side of the jetty separating the marina from the commercial terminal.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:48   #21

One thing I forgot to add that I don't think was mentioned is that the HWY 11 bridge that runs (not quite) parallel to the I-10 twin span has restricted openings during peak traffic hours. Not sure of the exact schedule but assuming it's 2-3 hours during morning and evening commutes. Also, the operator will only open the bridge if the adjacent rail bascule is open.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:21   #22

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

What yard did you use?

If you are in a hurry, I would try to find a slip in Slidell or Madisonville. I am in Orleans Marina and it is great, with excellent security, no skeeters, and low rent, but it is by the quarter.
Old 10-12-2014, 16:55   #23

Re:Marinas in Port Everglades

Can anybody give me advice on which marina to look at in Port Everglades Fl.
MY vessel is a 55' ocean going catamaran and we are going to prepare for a trip down to the Caribbean via Exumas, DR, PR, and USVI in early March 2015?
I would like a floating and accessible marina with water and power and a proximity to supplies and fuel.
Thanks John W
Fantazia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 17:45   #24

Boat: Beneteau First 375

I pass through the Hwy 11 drawbridge pretty frequently, and I'm not aware of any restrictions on openings. Except, like you say, the RR bridge has to be open.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 20:31   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy stone View Post
I pass through the Hwy 11 drawbridge pretty frequently, and I'm not aware of any restrictions on openings. Except, like you say, the RR bridge has to be open.

Could merely be at the discretion of bridge tender. Or I'm mistaken as its been a while since I've gone under it and have yet to ever do so as skipper (I plan on changing that very soon, though, now that the new boat is in order).

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-12-2014, 10:51   #26

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Nice! Watch out for the flats around there.. I'm sure you know but thought I'd share.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_sailing View Post
Your sister wouldn't happen to be "Vee", would she?
Yea, PM me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_sailing View Post
Could merely be at the discretion of bridge tender. Or I'm mistaken as its been a while since I've gone under it and have yet to ever do so as skipper (I plan on changing that very soon, though, now that the new boat is in order).

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy stone View Post
I have gone under there without issue, just call the bridge tender on 13 and they'll open it when you get right up close. The RR bridge usually stays open until trains come. Not too sure about rush hour times, they might restrict it but I don't think. That bridge opens and closes pretty quickly...

- Ronnie...on the geaux
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2014, 17:53   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: YORKTOWN 33'

Thanks all for all the advice i did make it a 1 and 1/2 day trip. Sailed channel and got off channel and anchored just before dark near Pass Christian. Made it in next day. looking forward to learning to sail again in shallow water. Guess we got spoiled to sailing in deep water not having to worry about dodging sandbars but in was enjoyable sail and glad 2nd day was only few hours it was cold and breezy. thanks again and hope we meet ya'll in the near future...duane and kim
dandkg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new orleans