Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2014, 11:10   #16

Boat: Crown 34
Re: Navionics pull software from Google Play Store?

Perhaps I sounded a little too 'relaxed' in my previous post. I'm with you guys 100%. I think it's crazy that they didn't provide an immediate solution....maybe even an auto-update to the previous version
There still isn't any notice on their website, that I could find, and they didn't give me an ETA in the email. I did make the point to them that we needed to be notified when things like this happen. That is a very important missed step.

I know everyone uses their products differently, but for me the tool is simply a trip planner device....not my primary navigation (on-the-water) utility. I use C-Map for that. And it's winter, so I have a few months to figure something out.

I was going to try reverting to the previous version (as suggested) in my app settings sometime this week if the patch doesn't come out. I can report back on whether that works, but I suspect it might be fairly 'device-specific' on success rate....
Cheers all.
Mike
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 10:45   #17

Boat: 1978 Tartan 30

Has Navionics been offline for this long? I tried to buy charts yesterday for my android phone and it said that I was ineligible to buy them. I emailed the company and they said that they have temporarily pulled the charts from the Google Play Store. Didn't give me a timeline on when it would be back. I was thinking it'd be something like a couple days but looking back as to how this thread was in October makes me wonder how long they will be unavailable.
SlugmasterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 11:27   #18

Boat: Catalina 30

It goes to figure. Just bought a Galaxy tab last week just so I can take it on the boat and use as a planner. Now I may just have to figure out rooting Open cpn instead.

Gary
Old 14-11-2014, 11:34   #19

Boat: 1978 Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
It goes to figure. Just bought a Galaxy tab last week just so I can take it on the boat and use as a planner. Now I may just have to figure out rooting Open cpn instead.

Gary
That's basically what I have going right now as well. I run OpenCpn on my laptop but I'm running CM93 charts from 2009. I was hoping to have more up to date charts to reference through Navionics and also a handheld chartplotter to have up in the cockpit. I guess I'll just check back periodically to see when they get them back up.
SlugmasterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 13:45   #20

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

Well the Africa and Asia app is back up...if that is any indication as to how long we're going to have to wait, hopefully not too much longer.

Can anyone recommend an app that accesses the NOAA charts (vector or raster) directly? And simply uses your phones GPS to put you on said chart?
Old 14-11-2014, 13:59   #21

Boat: ?

i guess in an pinch one could always download it off the bay (it is still there)..
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 15:04   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorKeddy View Post
Well the Africa and Asia app is back up...if that is any indication as to how long we're going to have to wait, hopefully not too much longer.
Great, that's my area. I just fired it up and it didn't try to download the base map.

Under Menu it now offered to "Update All" or "Download Map". So I've just updated my immediate area.

Looks like it's going to be much easier to keep the areas you have previously downloaded for overall planning as older maps and update small areas of interest progressively as you move around rather than be faced with repetitive massive downloads!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 16:26   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I downloaded the new version, had a quick play with the trial Nav module and immediately paid the $4.61 to enable it. I really like it.

My handheld Garmin is now going to be relegated to "the spare in the ditch bag". With the nav module, it's now as good as, if not better than, a repeater from the chart plotter in the internal nav station/saloon/cabin and it's portable.

With a 12 volt conenction to the tablet, I'd be happy to use this one as the primary plotter!
Old 14-11-2014, 17:05   #24

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorKeddy View Post
Can anyone recommend an app that accesses the NOAA charts (vector or raster) directly? And simply uses your phones GPS to put you on said chart?
I've been very happy with MX Mariner for Android. Uses free NOAA charts, downloaded to your device so you don't need a full-time network connection. And you can download ActiveCaptain data and it displays right on the chart.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 17:30   #25

Boat: 1986 Tosca 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to american

I too use Navionics (on iOS and Android) and am unhappy to hear they've pulled the Android version.

Just to add info to the speculation about what's going on - I do mobile app development and can tell you that Apple vs. Google app submission and review processes are what drive the "why on Android, not on iOS" differences. With an iOS app developers must submit the new version to Apple, then wait for Apple to review and approve the new app - a process that can take anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. With Android apps a new version can be swapped out immediately via an automated review/approval process - and usually propagates to the app stores within 12 hours.

If Navionics have a new (emergency fix) version for both platforms they may still have to wait for the Apple version to be approved before they update the Google version - depends on whether or not some shared network behavior between the two apps has been changed. Since people are reporting (and I have also experienced) map downloading issues, it might be safe to assume that this is the case. So the Android version has to wait for the Apple version to be approved before either can be updated. Removing the Android version from the store means they can avoid a flood of negative ratings. Apple doesn't make it as easy to remove app from their store, so...

Anyway, just an idea
american is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 09:58   #26

Boat: Crown 34

StuM,
You touched on something I have been contemplating for a while....hooking up the tablet in the cockpit would be useful for lots of reasons!
This past month I have been researching connectors and mounts for the samsung galaxy line.
I think I have found a well priced unit to try:
ARKON Sailboat iPad Mount and Boat Helm Tablet Mount for iPad Air iPad 4 3 2 and Android Tablets
I'll just hook up a 12V USB power slot on the top of the pedestal to keep it charged. Even with nothing running, those Samsung Tabs chew through the battery like nobody's business. Once powered, I can hook up a Bluetooth enabled Bad Elf GPS and tighten up the accuracy to about +/- 3m.

I'm not ready to get rid of my Standard Horizon Chartplotter just yet, but over time perhaps the tablet apps (mapping) will improve enough to allow that. It sure would be nice. The $1000 price tag on good quality chartplotters would be far more useful if spent on a top notch tablet, external GPS and then a Lifeproof case. The world's your oyster at that point!
  • Turf the Chartplotter
  • Yank out that old car stereo, bluetooth-ing straight to the speakers
  • Manage your GoPro camera footage (and drone if you're really cool)
  • Leverage all that other great internet mapping (Google Earth, Bing, etc)
  • Tap in to tons of great environmental Apps (whale sightings, garbage/ spill reporting, etc)
  • And at night, when all's said and done - crack out some Netflix!
I know you can even get apps to turn on your anchor light while you're sitting at the pub overlooking the harbour.
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 12:15   #27

Boat: temporarily boatless...

My LG G3 (Android) just automatically updated Navionics USA, so I guess there is something new out there. Looks the same as my old app (which I declined all the invitations to update). pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 13:23   #28
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Elysium, before you throw out the chartplotter place it next to the finest tablet in the world, in broad daylight.

Let me know if you can't read one or the other.

AFAIK you won't find any commodity-grade tablet that is really daylight readable compared to any chartplotter. Yet.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 13:43   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Elysium, before you throw out the chartplotter place it next to the finest tablet in the world, in broad daylight.

Let me know if you can't read one or the other.

AFAIK you won't find any commodity-grade tablet that is really daylight readable compared to any chartplotter. Yet.
I agree totally. They're not suitable for use outside in bright daylight - especially here in the tropics.
Old 17-11-2014, 14:16   #30

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

Yeah so I just installed the new "Boating" app by Navionics for "free" and they want another $10 for the charts I used to have access to. Thanks for making me buy something I used to have own from you again, Navionics!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
google, navionics, software