Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2016, 21:42   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 45.2
Navionics Plus - new format sucks

Did you know that a Navionics won't sell you charts on data cards anymore! They would last year, but no more. Now (since January of 2016), when you need a chart for your Raymarine chart-plotter, they send you a formatted blank card and a little slip of paper that says "see our website". What they mean is "download it yourself". After fumbling through a poorly organized site, you find a "chart installer" app you need to download, then you get to teach yourself all the annoying shortcomings of the Navionics installation software. It still costs $250 (or 3X the price of the same charts for your iPad), you just get less now.
So, if you're a cruiser in a La Paz, MX marina with crappy wifi (Marina Palmira), you head to local internet cafe to download the South Pacific, square by square, by dragging a little box around. Do the folks at Navionics realize how big the Pacific is? BTW, my Raymarine ONLY accepts Navionics! Just thought would might want to know before you purchased any new hardware.
Okay, rant over.
SailorGerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 19:39   #2

Boat: J80 & I-14
Re: Navionics Plus - new format sucks

Just curious -- did you get the Navionics Updates card? I got some info in an promo email from Navionics that the Platinum cards come pre-loaded with the SonarCharts, so it seems like you wouldn't need the hassle of the computer to get things up and running (the email was for a promo this month, so it peaked my interest and I looked into it a bit more).
jtulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 19:43   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Navionics Plus - new format sucks

I would avoid navionics they're notoriously inaccurate in certain areas and almost dangerous in others ( the Bahamas charts are especially dangerous)
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navionics