Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 06:57   #16

Boat: Privilege 482
Re: Navionics or Navimatics for iPhone ?

Does anyone know if the Navimatics app for the Iphone/Ipad download chart data "on the fly" via the 3G connection? Does it have the ability to store all charts offline, and if so, how big are the files?

Now that the IPad 2 has been announced, I'm thinking of getting the 3G model so I have "real" GPS capabilities, but don't anticipate activating the data plan. I'd like to store ALL the East Coast charts on the device, but don't know how many Gigs that is- the answer will determine what size 16G/32G/64G device I'll need.

Thanks - Matt
teneicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:02   #17
cruiser

Navimatics has the charts bundled into the app. They update it every few months and provide all new charts. All the charts are totally offline. You'll need a WiFi connection to download the app because it's about 200 MB.

Getting the 3G model and never turning on the cellular plan is a good idea. That way you get the GPS (which isn't present on the WiFi only model). I have never turned on the cellular plan for my iPad and have been using it for navigation with all the different apps for almost a year. I was one of the crazy people on line the day the original iPad was released. And we're now docked 10 blocks from an Apple store and I'm holding myself back from being online on the 11th too!
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:08   #18

Boat: Privilege 482

Thanks for the fast reply Jeffrey! Only 200MB for all the charts? Wow, that's great. What size IPad do you have? OR better yet- What size do you plan on getting for your next one? Not sure if the 64G is overkill, or whether I'll regret it later for going small....
teneicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:10   #19

Boat: PSC 31

I have the 32GB and never needed it as the 16 would easily suffice. I use the iNavX app with both Navionics and NOAA raster. You load the whole USA/Bahamas for Navionics. I got all the relevant NOAA raster too as I like it for the close up harbor charts. You can display GRIB files overlayed on the charts which is also nice. The app has some nice features but the interface is clumsy.
stevemac00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:19   #20
cruiser

200 MB is for Maine around the Keys up the west coast of Florida. They're vector charts, compressed.

I have many iOS devices. My iPad is only 16 GB. Like stevemac00 said, I've never come over about 11 GB used with multiple charting apps, a ton of other apps, and a lot of experimental things that I've written. I didn't have a choice when I got my iPad. They actually ran out of them 3 people behind me and 16's were all that was left. I was concerned at first...but it was never an issue.

If I were getting one now, I'd get a 32 GB. 64 GB is overkill in my opinion unless you want to store a lot of video and music.

The iPad changed my daily computer use more than any other device I've ever had. This is especially true onboard where it's my go-to device whenever we're underway.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:07   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have the 64GB iPad 3G and have used up 20GB even though I have dozens of apps and chart regions loaded, 6 GB of music and 2 GB of photos. I will get a 32GB iPad 2 3G as I find 16GB on my iPhone 4 is just not quite enough.

Tags
iphone, navionics