Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2019, 08:59   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Navionics Data Doesn't Fit on the Card

I have just paid a not so small sum of money to update my Navionics + card of the Baltic Sea, and I can't download the Sonar Charts It doesn't fit on the card This is ridiculous that they saved £4 by giving a tiny micro SD card and then make it impossible to use the product.

Has anyone had this problem? Is there a solution? Maybe the dealers will exchange them?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 10:55   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Navionics Data Doesn't Fit on the Card

Can you copy the card or a lager as in more data card?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 10:58   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Can you copy the card or a lager as in more data card?

Good question. I don't think so -- I think the cards are serialized so that you can't do this. But if you could, of course, that would allow for an easy solution. Anyone know?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 20-04-2019, 11:14   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I don'y know but just curious, is it a 2GB card or a 4GB? They make some pretty high GB storage SD cards now, I would THINK that a larger one would work!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 11:14   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Call Navionics and see what they say?
Navionics is Garmin now of course, and I have no idea if it’s treated as a separate company still or falls under the Garmin umbrella.

I have had very, very good luck dealing with Garmin customer support before, mostly avionics, but still Garmin.

Me, I don’t use Navionics anymore
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 08:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Good question. I don't think so -- I think the cards are serialized so that you can't do this. But if you could, of course, that would allow for an easy solution. Anyone know?

Navionics cards are definitely protected against unauthorized copying. Each SD card has a (hidden) serial number, which is checked against the contents of the file nTag.txt.
duichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 08:59   #7

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

DH,

In 2016 [before Navionics was acquired by Garmin] I was successful exchanging a too small SD card for a larger one. [2GB to 16GB; I was trading in a SE Alaska and BC Canada coverage area card for one encompassing all of US and Canada - and the northern portion of Mexico...]

Navionics issued an RMA for the card I was exchanging, and charged me full retail for the new card [with a larger chart coverage area] and sent it right away.

I was credited the amount I paid in full when they received the card I was exchanging.

I tried this a second time late last year with another 2GB card and was rejected. This may be because the coverage area of that SD card [Iceland and Greenland] had no expanded version available, but still [barely] fits on the 2GB card... for now...

I won't hesitate to inquire again in the future when I run into that wall again...

I will monitor your efforts with interest, and wish you positive results.

Cheers! Bill
Old 21-04-2019, 11:47   #8

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Dockhead I'd suggest sending your problem/question to Navionics directly. Here is a link.

I've found their support is excellent.
Old 21-04-2019, 12:48   #9

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

Garmin now owns Navionics. Sad news indeed. In 2013 I bought 900 dollars worth of chart cards for my Garmin system. When ordering them on the phone I requested a supervisor before paying. I asked if these chart were corrected and updated. She became indignant ans
d said of course they were. As I went farther west I came to realize the charts were terrible. Beverage reef was charted as having 6 fathoms at mean low tide and was a couple miles off the charted location and by the sound of it as I approached and made a hard left was definately a reef with waves breaking over it. A terrifying experience and then Tonga showing me going over land getting into Neiafu. Thats when I switched over to navionics.
A sad day indeed. Truth is the safest most accurate system aboard after 10 years from Seattle to Australia has been Open CPN with the Google overlays.
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 13:36   #10

The micro SD card on a 12 inch chartplotter is idiotic. In a mobile phone, fair enough. But these plotters, even the 7 inch ones could easily fit a normal SD card. My old Northstar took two normal SDs.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 07:37   #11

Boat: Kelly Peterson 46

I coincidentally updated my charts two days ago. There is a button on the updated dealing with small cards. Why don’t you investigate that and contact navionics? Surely they have a better answer than the forum.
bradfordharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 08:34   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordharley View Post
I coincidentally updated my charts two days ago. There is a button on the updated dealing with small cards. Why don’t you investigate that and contact navionics? Surely they have a better answer than the forum.

Better answer than the forum?? Never!

But seriously, yes, that will be my next step
Walt Whitman
Old 22-04-2019, 08:39   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiosophy View Post
Garmin now owns Navionics. Sad news indeed. In 2013 I bought 900 dollars worth of chart cards for my Garmin system. When ordering them on the phone I requested a supervisor before paying. I asked if these chart were corrected and updated. She became indignant ans
d said of course they were. As I went farther west I came to realize the charts were terrible. Beverage reef was charted as having 6 fathoms at mean low tide and was a couple miles off the charted location and by the sound of it as I approached and made a hard left was definately a reef with waves breaking over it. A terrifying experience and then Tonga showing me going over land getting into Neiafu. Thats when I switched over to navionics.
A sad day indeed. Truth is the safest most accurate system aboard after 10 years from Seattle to Australia has been Open CPN with the Google overlays.

Well, that's not necessarily a Garmin or Navionics problem. Some areas haven't been surveyed in centuries. You can't use electronic navigation without taking account of the different quality of data involved in different areas. Garbage in, garbage out, as they say.

I have found that most areas of "bad" charts are more down to problems with the chart datum. Like the Sea of Cortez. If you can correct the chart datum (comparing features with radar is the way I prefer), then you often find that the chart is accurate, more or less.

Some places it's hopeless -- like in Greenland. Not only was the datum off by up to a mile or more, but the coast wasn't even drawn right.

There, I just gave up on the charts and navigated by radar and by sight, and prayed there wasn't a sea mount or something just below the surface somewhere.
Walt Whitman
Old 26-04-2019, 03:38   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpearit View Post
Dockhead, what kind of plotter are you using? There may be an issue with compatibility. Some older (or less expensive) chartplotters won't handle the chips with more data. YOu may have to download the sonarchart in just the next area you intend on traveling and then then, when you get there, delete that and download the sonarchart for the next destination. Check the compatibility guide to see if you can change to a higher memory card.. https://www.navionics.com/aus/suppor...ibility-guides
Send me a PM if you don't find your answer.

I don't think I'm having a compatibility issue. I'm using B&G Zeus Touch and B&G Zeus Z. My other Navionics cards are larger and I have no problems with them.

The compatibility table shows my plotters are compatible for community edits and sonar charts.
Walt Whitman

Tags
navionics