Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2009, 07:37   #1

Navionics card reader

I have just purchased a Raymarine chart plotter along with a Navionic XL gold flash card - which all work fine. However I want to use the detailed charts to plan journeys on my laptop but am informed that I cannot use an ordinary card reader as it will render the Navionics data unusable. Does anyone have experience of using a standard FC reader for Navionic gold XL charts ?
Alan N Crichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 07:49   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
I beleave The card is a standard card - it should fit any card reader- as I understand you ay not be able to read it though - if you are able to I would like to know- doing so viods the warrenty on the card so be careful
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2009, 11:00   #3

Boat: Hans Christian 38T- Oblivion
Send a message via Skype™ to tardog
I have a Navionics Multi-Card reader which I purchased from one of their dealers. I purchased the full pack...including the reader and software for about a hundred dollars. This allows you to design and save routes on your PC and transfer those to your chartplotter.

I see they now offer a GPS adaptor for your PC enabling you to use it for real-time navigation. www.pcplotter.com looks enticing.
tardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 08:39   #4

Boat: EliBit, Evolution 25
the navionics multi card reader is needed since it includes a cryption chip to use the navionics charts. if you insert the navionics cf card chart in a normal card reader your navigation program can't read the charts.

under the windows you will be able to see the files like e:\Navionic\Charts\<name>.nv2 but can't use them in your navigation program.
bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 16:47   #5

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
I have been using a Navionics Multi Card Reader for some time to supply cartography to Euronav Seapro 3000 & Raytech Navigator (v6.1) PC chartplotters.

Seapro requires a dongle upgrade to add the Navionics chart option, but this includes the card reader. Unlike Raytech the Navionics charts are loaded onto the hard drive by Seapro after which the card can be removed & used elsewhere, i.e Raymarine C series chart plotter.

The chart licence remains valid during the period Seapro is running but times out a short time afterwards. After this you have to renew licence by inserting card into reader again. Nevertheless a useful feature.

Regards

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navionics