Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2018, 09:55   #1

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Navionics Boating Apps now include Active Captain data

From Panbo:

Quote:
Back in April Garmin announced that the Navionics apps would be getting ActiveCaptain Community (ACC) support by the end of 2018. With not too many days left in 2018, it appeared time might be running out on that promise. But today two v13.0 app updates supporting ACC were released to the iOS App Store and Android’s Play Store.
FYI- Bill
Old 14-12-2018, 10:11   #2

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Re: Navionics Boating Apps now include Active Captain data

The only problem is that boating HD subscriptions are way more expensive than boating ones.....
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 11:03   #3

Boat: Lancer 25 Mark V

I recently purchased an '86 Hunter 31 which is slipped in Ventura, CA. While searching for navigation info, I came across iNavX. I would welcome information from anyone familiar with this app, and/or other apps that would help me navigate the California West Coast including the Channel Islands and Catalina. This is a sound vessel with NO electronics save for a hand held gps and compass.
Ron Chalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 11:40   #4

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
The only problem is that boating HD subscriptions are way more expensive than boating ones.....
Is there no free version any more? It's a decent app, but I have no intention of paying for another one, since I've already got several charting apps I use, including a couple which have AC data.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 11:59   #5

Boat: Passport 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Chalian View Post
I recently purchased an '86 Hunter 31 which is slipped in Ventura, CA. While searching for navigation info, I came across iNavX. I would welcome information from anyone familiar with this app, and/or other apps that would help me navigate the California West Coast including the Channel Islands and Catalina. This is a sound vessel with NO electronics save for a hand held gps and compass.
There are lots of threads here about iNavX and I wouldn't want to derail this one.

I use iNavX on an iPad Pro and have found it to be a very useful compliment to my other navigational gear. I use it with a Navionics subscription and I think it's better than the Navionics "Boating Marine and Lakes" app due to the ability to integrate AIS and NMEA 2000 data.

However, I doubt iNavX will have ActiveCaptain integration. I might consider purchasing Boating Marine and Lakes again just for that
Mediator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 13:45   #6

Boat: Lancer 25 Mark V

Great! This is helpful. I'm going to follow your example, Mediator. Between iNavX on my tablet, gps, compass, weather apps, and a little common sense, I hope I can make my way up and down the SoCal coast without getting into too much trouble. I summer sail a Catalina 27 on Lake Dillon in Colorado. This is my intro into salt water. Cheers!
Ron Chalian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 16:03   #7

Boat: 1984 - Pearson 34

Just when I thought I had it figured out! Very confusing between Active captain, and navioncs. I just was prompted to update and now active captain charts are gone! Active captain icons do show on navionics but it it is not clear how user feedback/ reviews will work with both systems .???
Richfef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boating, captain, navionics