Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2015, 23:08   #1
Registered User

Join Date: May 2015
Location: New Zealand
Boat: Spencer 43
Posts: 1
Navionics

Can anyone who uses the Navionics app tell me how good it is please? I have an iPad with iSailor which works really well but a cruising friend wants me to buy an android tablet (prob a Samsung) and put a Nav app on it and deliver it to them.
Any comments on Samsung tablets with Nav apps.
__________________

__________________
Bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 20:06   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SoCal
Boat: J80 & I-14
Posts: 47
Re: Navionics

I'm currently running Navionics on an android phone (Boating app), but on the tablet you'd probably want the HD app to get the better resolution on the bigger screen. I haven't really used iSailor, so I can't compare, but Navionics has been awesome so far. Pretty intuitive to use and great coverage in my area. If you upgrade the app, you'll also get access to the SonarCharts, which are continuously updated with community sonar log submissions, so if coverage isn't the best, it will get updated as people submit data. Hope that helps, if you have any specific questions I can try to answer them!
__________________

__________________
jtulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 22:33   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,713
Re: Navionics

I used a Samsung Galaxy tablet with Navionics HD as my primary navigation device in the cockpit on a recent 1400 NM trip from Brisbane up the Queensland coast to Cairns and then across the Coral Sea to Port Moresby (including the tricky route inside Frazer Island).

It performed flawlessly and was always accurate to with a few metres.

I would never rely on one without some form of backup but it is certainly very usable as a primary system. (I also had another tablet plus a Samsung phone with the same application as backups, plus a computer with MaxSea which I didn't bother to boot up, a handheld Garmin GPSMap78sc, paper charts and two compasses )
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 01:58   #4
Registered User
 
SariTimur's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seward, Alaska
Boat: William Garden Ketch
Posts: 170
Re: Navionics

We have been using Navionics in Japan for almost a year and it is spot on. The only thing I do not like is it uses MLW for tide info instead of lowest astronomical tide so you get negative tide numbers. I am just not used to that, so it is just an adjustment on my part. And I will have to get used to it as we are heading away from admiralty charts.
__________________
SariTimur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 02:38   #5
Registered User
 
Mirage Gecko's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sunshine Coast Hinterland
Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3
Posts: 430
Re: Navionics

I have used it on my IPad and IPhone for a couple of years and has been spot on for the QLD coast including as StuM pointed out in a few of the tricky and narrow areas.It is not my primary Navigation tool but I like it that much I rarely turn the primary on unless I want to play with the Radar.Two friends have it on Samsung tablets and also have only positive comments.
__________________
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 02:56   #6
Registered User
 
Dauntlessny's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA & Europe
Boat: Kadey Krogen '42
Posts: 273
Re: Navionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I used a Samsung Galaxy tablet with Navionics HD as my primary navigation device in the cockpit on a recent 1400 NM trip from Brisbane up the Queensland coast to Cairns and then across the Coral Sea to Port Moresby (including the tricky route inside Frazer Island).

It performed flawlessly and was always accurate to with a few metres.

I would never rely on one without some form of backup but it is certainly very usable as a primary system. (I also had another tablet plus a Samsung phone with the same application as backups, plus a computer with MaxSea which I didn't bother to boot up, a handheld Garmin GPSMap78sc, paper charts and two compasses )


yep, that's me too.

I have Navionics on both my Samsung smart phone, Note 2, and my Samsung Tablet Note 12.2.

I got the big tablet just for this reason. It is my number one backup and I really like it.

Smart phone is number 3 backup
__________________
Richard on M/Y Dauntless
https://dauntlessatsea.com/
Location: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 09:33   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Sidney BC
Boat: Nordic sailboat 44’
Posts: 13
Re: Navionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
Can anyone who uses the Navionics app tell me how good it is please? I have an iPad with iSailor which works really well but a cruising friend wants me to buy an android tablet (prob a Samsung) and put a Nav app on it and deliver it to them.
Any comments on Samsung tablets with Nav apps.
We have Navionics on an ipad 2 and at the moment this is our GPS. Has worked really well, we have paper charts as well, the Navionics charts have been good so far in the the Pacific North West.
__________________
bailey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 00:45   #8
Registered User
 
Dauntlessny's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA & Europe
Boat: Kadey Krogen '42
Posts: 273
Re: Navionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntlessny View Post


yep, that's me too.

I have Navionics on both my Samsung smart phone, Note 2, and my Samsung Tablet Note 12.2.

I got the big tablet just for this reason. It is my number one backup and I really like it.

Smart phone is number 3 backup
To explain for any not in the know, Navionics, like most companies, have a pricing scheme that is totally different for computers, even lap tops and "phones".

E.G. Until recently, the Navionics charts for Europe were over $250 for western Europe for computer or laptop, but were only $17 for smart phone and tablet. Last year they increased tablet price to $27.

So the large tablet I bought 12" screen was purchased with the idea that I could get worldwide charts for around $100 versus the $thousands$ it would cost for my computer or MFD.
__________________
Richard on M/Y Dauntless
https://dauntlessatsea.com/
Location: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 18:39   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15
Re: Navionics

I've used navionics on my android phone for about three or four year and it has always performed extremely well. One thing that I don't like however it that it doesn't tell you your course, at least on mine it just shows a red line indicating where you're headed. You have to touch the screen, center the X on your course and hit a button to get you're course and distance. Maybe there's another way, but I've never figured it out. It's a pain.
__________________
Eric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 19:56   #10
Registered User
 
natraps116's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Back in Pennsylvania Awaiting next cruising season
Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3
Posts: 300
Re: Navionics

I have navionics on tablet as my primary navigation while moving around boat. On helm I also have a raymarine e90 hybrid touch chart plotter. Fact is, navionics is more detailed and up to date. Use both, I put velcro on my tablet and mount it above other chart plotter and installed a dc outlet on helm station to keep it plugged in. I like having two gps ' running at same time. I also have a cell phone keep a separate "track" running so when I write in log book I can do it from anywhere without looking at helm station. All in all its super accurate. I thread the needle all the time with my 7ft keel

Sent from my D6616 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Do or do not, there is no try.

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 19:58   #11
Registered User
 
natraps116's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Back in Pennsylvania Awaiting next cruising season
Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3
Posts: 300
Re: Navionics

Example

Sent from my D6616 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1432691886913.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	102755  
__________________
Do or do not, there is no try.

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 20:40   #12
Registered User
 
Capt.Don's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Altadena, CA
Boat: Tartan 3500
Posts: 611
Images: 1
Re: Navionics

They are both good apps. The key advantage to iSailor is you can purchase individual chart tiles and the Transas charts are gorgeous. The think I don't like about iSailor is their pricing model for add-ons. I guess they need to make money somehow. I can't keep up with Navionics' pricing for the iPad. Now the NOAA charts are free.
__________________
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 21:01   #13
cruiser

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hypoluxo, FL
Boat: 2007 Beneteau 393 Cyclades
Posts: 310
Images: 4
Re: Navionics

If you want a tutorial on how to use the basics of the Navionics app check out this webinar: https://youtu.be/xjIE73XEAvA?list=PL...LoPdyv7JmYFbIW

For info on how to use the advanced features there's an upcoming webinar on June 16th at 7pm. You can register here: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/reg...35945487850241
__________________
hogHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 23:34   #14
TOT
Registered User
 
TOT's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Singapore
Boat: Lagoon 450
Posts: 273
Re: Navionics

We recently sailed Singapore to Thailand and back and during the thunder and lightning storms we shut down our entire Raymarine system and sailed using the Navionics app as we had been struck once last year by lightning and did not wish to spend another $30k on repairs.

Very good app but l would not use it as my main navigation as you still want the have an auto pilot etc.


SV TOT
Wayne 😃
__________________
TOT Team
TOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 23:37   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,243
Re: Navionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
I have navionics on tablet as my primary navigation while moving around boat. On helm I also have a raymarine e90 hybrid touch chart plotter. Fact is, navionics is more detailed and up to date. Use both, I put velcro on my tablet and mount it above other chart plotter and installed a dc outlet on helm station to keep it plugged in. I like having two gps ' running at same time. I also have a cell phone keep a separate "track" running so when I write in log book I can do it from anywhere without looking at helm station. All in all its super accurate. I thread the needle all the time with my 7ft keel

Sent from my D6616 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
You have trouble finding your way around the boat?
__________________

__________________
Bristol 31.1, SF Bay.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
navionics

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SeaClear & Navionics Bradley Navigation 10 12-01-2012 10:26
Navionics card reader Alan N Crichton Navigation 4 17-02-2009 17:47
Navionics Hiring ~ India GordMay Boat Ownership & Making a Living 0 21-07-2008 11:59
Navionics, or C-map, for South Pacific? Meridian Navigation 3 10-06-2006 07:35



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:57.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.