Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2015, 22:08   #1

Boat: Spencer 43
Navionics

Can anyone who uses the Navionics app tell me how good it is please? I have an iPad with iSailor which works really well but a cruising friend wants me to buy an android tablet (prob a Samsung) and put a Nav app on it and deliver it to them.
Any comments on Samsung tablets with Nav apps.
Bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 19:06   #2

Boat: J80 & I-14
Re: Navionics

I'm currently running Navionics on an android phone (Boating app), but on the tablet you'd probably want the HD app to get the better resolution on the bigger screen. I haven't really used iSailor, so I can't compare, but Navionics has been awesome so far. Pretty intuitive to use and great coverage in my area. If you upgrade the app, you'll also get access to the SonarCharts, which are continuously updated with community sonar log submissions, so if coverage isn't the best, it will get updated as people submit data. Hope that helps, if you have any specific questions I can try to answer them!
jtulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 21:33   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I used a Samsung Galaxy tablet with Navionics HD as my primary navigation device in the cockpit on a recent 1400 NM trip from Brisbane up the Queensland coast to Cairns and then across the Coral Sea to Port Moresby (including the tricky route inside Frazer Island).

It performed flawlessly and was always accurate to with a few metres.

I would never rely on one without some form of backup but it is certainly very usable as a primary system. (I also had another tablet plus a Samsung phone with the same application as backups, plus a computer with MaxSea which I didn't bother to boot up, a handheld Garmin GPSMap78sc, paper charts and two compasses )
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 00:58   #4

Boat: William Garden Ketch

We have been using Navionics in Japan for almost a year and it is spot on. The only thing I do not like is it uses MLW for tide info instead of lowest astronomical tide so you get negative tide numbers. I am just not used to that, so it is just an adjustment on my part. And I will have to get used to it as we are heading away from admiralty charts.
SariTimur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 01:38   #5

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

I have used it on my IPad and IPhone for a couple of years and has been spot on for the QLD coast including as StuM pointed out in a few of the tricky and narrow areas.It is not my primary Navigation tool but I like it that much I rarely turn the primary on unless I want to play with the Radar.Two friends have it on Samsung tablets and also have only positive comments.
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 01:56   #6

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I used a Samsung Galaxy tablet with Navionics HD as my primary navigation device in the cockpit on a recent 1400 NM trip from Brisbane up the Queensland coast to Cairns and then across the Coral Sea to Port Moresby (including the tricky route inside Frazer Island).

It performed flawlessly and was always accurate to with a few metres.

I would never rely on one without some form of backup but it is certainly very usable as a primary system. (I also had another tablet plus a Samsung phone with the same application as backups, plus a computer with MaxSea which I didn't bother to boot up, a handheld Garmin GPSMap78sc, paper charts and two compasses )

yep, that's me too.

I have Navionics on both my Samsung smart phone, Note 2, and my Samsung Tablet Note 12.2.

I got the big tablet just for this reason. It is my number one backup and I really like it.

Smart phone is number 3 backup
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 08:33   #7

Boat: Nordic sailboat 44’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird View Post
Can anyone who uses the Navionics app tell me how good it is please? I have an iPad with iSailor which works really well but a cruising friend wants me to buy an android tablet (prob a Samsung) and put a Nav app on it and deliver it to them.
Any comments on Samsung tablets with Nav apps.
We have Navionics on an ipad 2 and at the moment this is our GPS. Has worked really well, we have paper charts as well, the Navionics charts have been good so far in the the Pacific North West.
bailey49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 23:45   #8

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntlessny View Post

yep, that's me too.

I have Navionics on both my Samsung smart phone, Note 2, and my Samsung Tablet Note 12.2.

I got the big tablet just for this reason. It is my number one backup and I really like it.

Smart phone is number 3 backup
To explain for any not in the know, Navionics, like most companies, have a pricing scheme that is totally different for computers, even lap tops and "phones".

E.G. Until recently, the Navionics charts for Europe were over $250 for western Europe for computer or laptop, but were only $17 for smart phone and tablet. Last year they increased tablet price to $27.

So the large tablet I bought 12" screen was purchased with the idea that I could get worldwide charts for around $100 versus the $thousands$ it would cost for my computer or MFD.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 17:39   #9

I've used navionics on my android phone for about three or four year and it has always performed extremely well. One thing that I don't like however it that it doesn't tell you your course, at least on mine it just shows a red line indicating where you're headed. You have to touch the screen, center the X on your course and hit a button to get you're course and distance. Maybe there's another way, but I've never figured it out. It's a pain.
Eric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 18:56   #10

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

I have navionics on tablet as my primary navigation while moving around boat. On helm I also have a raymarine e90 hybrid touch chart plotter. Fact is, navionics is more detailed and up to date. Use both, I put velcro on my tablet and mount it above other chart plotter and installed a dc outlet on helm station to keep it plugged in. I like having two gps ' running at same time. I also have a cell phone keep a separate "track" running so when I write in log book I can do it from anywhere without looking at helm station. All in all its super accurate. I thread the needle all the time with my 7ft keel

Sent from my D6616 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 18:58   #11

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

Example

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1432691886913.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	102755  

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 19:40   #12

They are both good apps. The key advantage to iSailor is you can purchase individual chart tiles and the Transas charts are gorgeous. The think I don't like about iSailor is their pricing model for add-ons. I guess they need to make money somehow. I can't keep up with Navionics' pricing for the iPad. Now the NOAA charts are free.
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 22:34   #13
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

We recently sailed Singapore to Thailand and back and during the thunder and lightning storms we shut down our entire Raymarine system and sailed using the Navionics app as we had been struck once last year by lightning and did not wish to spend another $30k on repairs.

Very good app but l would not use it as my main navigation as you still want the have an auto pilot etc.

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 06-06-2015, 22:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
I have navionics on tablet as my primary navigation while moving around boat. On helm I also have a raymarine e90 hybrid touch chart plotter. Fact is, navionics is more detailed and up to date. Use both, I put velcro on my tablet and mount it above other chart plotter and installed a dc outlet on helm station to keep it plugged in. I like having two gps ' running at same time. I also have a cell phone keep a separate "track" running so when I write in log book I can do it from anywhere without looking at helm station. All in all its super accurate. I thread the needle all the time with my 7ft keel

You have trouble finding your way around the boat?
Old 07-06-2015, 06:25   #15

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
You have trouble finding your way around the boat?
Now don't be a hater just because his boat is bigger than yours. Heck, I have had trouble finding my way around the dinghy after a shore party…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navionics