Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2011, 20:56   #1

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Navigatrix Question

I'm trying to explore Navigatrix on my MacBook Pro. Primarily to try the new version of OpenCPN on a mac, as the mac version is not yet updated like the Windows and Linux versions. I think I'm correct on that.

I made an ISO image disc DVD using Burn and the Navigatrix ISO file. I don't have a large usb drive at hand to use.

When I power up and hold the "c" key it appears to be booting from the disc. I can hear the disc being read at least. And the grey apple logo appears, without the timer animation below it.

About every 7 or 8 seconds the apple logo briefly switches to a "not" symbol. After doing this for a minute or two the laptop shuts down. That abrupt shutdown like when the power key is held down to turn one off.

I thought that was just saying "not apple" and was booting the distribution. But I tried a couple of times with the same results. Maybe I'm missing a keystroke that brings up a boot menu or something.

I would like to run it off the disc for testing, no repartitioning or fancy stuff yet.

I'm using OSx 10.6.6 on a new Mac.

Anyone know what I'm missing here?
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2011, 21:54   #2

After a little research I know more.

The "not" symbol means - "could not load boot.efi, or some other issue."

Sounds like my disc isn't correct.

Also, it looks like the Navigatrix usb installer is an .exe file. That's not going to run on a mac.

Is running this on a usb stick for the PC only? Or maybe a different procedure to create a bootable usb device for the mac?
Old 20-02-2011, 18:42   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Allied Mistress 39'
Re: Navigatrix Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Is running this on a usb stick for the PC only? Or maybe a different procedure to create a bootable usb device for the mac?
I don't do any of the nuts'n'bolts, but I do spend a bit of time banging on a Navigatrix keyboard and I have heard through the grapevine there are some alpha Mac versions; 7.1, 5.1, and 2.1. They are all slightly different be cause the machines are slightly different in construction.

The remaining problems may not be insurmountable, but the main guy working on it has a problem with the law....the Life is a Three Leg Stool Law.

A balance life, at minimum, is three things; eating, sailing, and banging out code.

Remember this is a minimum. You can have a balanced chair with more legs, but 3 is the minimum.

At least one must support the other two without significant interference in their function. If it can't it must be replaced.

Eating and sailing are apparently not financially supporting code construction.

There mighty be someone else who can pick up from the current state. Have you checked their Support Forum?
wadda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 19:25   #4

Re: Navigatrix Question

thanks,

I tried the same disc on a spare pc and it works fine, did that today in fact. So I know now I can try this out. Even though I can't do it on my Mac yet.

I appreciate the effort put into this. Hopefully I can afford to sail and eat as well, thanks in part to the code talkers. word.