Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 21:38   #1

Navigation Software for Australia

Hi all. we have a chartplotter and a cute app. on my iphone from Navionics, but would really like some charts on my laptop which has much better definition and obviously a bigger screen. There is a plug-in GPS cable so that is fine but can't really get any info comparing the different software systems available.
Looking at QuickCharts and also Navionics, but heard the Hydrographic Service may be coming out with new more accurate electronic charts soon (don't know if they are for the public anyway).
Any imput would be greatly appreciated.
By the way the laptops are running on XP and Windows 7.
Thanks
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 21:59   #2

I like Nobeltec VNS. You are about to hear from others who prefer some of the free systems, as well as other commercial systems. You may want to do a search on electronic charts, chart plotters, etc. to find a great deal of information and opinion that is already on this site.

The present Nobeltec VNS is reliable, professionally produced, and has very readable charts, and lots of features. Others will favor building their own computer systems and working with self supported free software.

After reading the immense amount of information that you can find here, you should be able to find what suits you.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 23:33   #3

C-Maps

Thanks Elsewhere, I've looked up the Nobeltec site and their charts sems to be based on C-Map. This is the same charts as we currently have on our chartplotter.
We'd like to have charts from a different source so comparisons can be made, thus the interest in the Quickcharts option for the laptop.
However I shall look through the site and see if I can find references to it or the Navionics ones.
Old 08-02-2011, 15:45   #4

We have narrowed the choices down to the SOB software which uses C-Map charts, and the Fugawi software which uses navionics charts. The former can be downloaded onto 2 machines - ie a laptop & PC while the Fugawi can only be on one at a time. The seller claims that the SOB software has improved heaps in the last few years (it needed to) and the price is comparable.
Any feedback on either would be appreciated.
Old 18-02-2011, 16:15   #5

i'm using navsim software and i'm very happy with it so you might include that on you comparison list as well. It supports c-maps and is fully customizable. The only drawback for know is the lack of NMEA2000 support (hopefully they'll add it pretty soon).
Bjoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 17:36   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

FWIW charts for Australian waters are available in ENC (S63) format from Chartworld.com . They have both official government charts and Navionics ENCs (which are the same Navionics charts translated into ENC/S63 format).

All charts from Chartworld can be used on two machines. Any software supporting S63 charts will work with these (including ours, of course)
Old 20-02-2011, 18:13   #7

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Depends - Do want aprogram that displays routes or a program that does weather routing. For the later, Maxsea is superior to Raytech.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 18:19   #8
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
Re: Navigation Software for Australia

Endeavour 5 has a pretty good rep down here, I know many people that use it and swear by it.. Here's the link: HSA Systems - Electronic Navigation
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 08:39   #9

Boat: 32 ft Ketch, Colin Archer type, Misty
Re: Navigation Software for Australia

You might want to take a look at Navpak. It can use C-Map, S-63 ENC, and scan your own charts. There are some free vector charts of OZ (east coast) for navpak at:

4shared - My 4shared - shared folder - free file sharing and storage
Jenia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, navigation, software