Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-04-2010, 13:13   #16

Boat: Newport 28
Originally Posted by zydecotoad View Post
Get a waterproof chart cover. I like to stick the charts under the cockpit cushions while not looking at it. or find some other way to secure the chart. Maybe velcro or tie the cover down to the seats.....
That's my solution also. I don't single hand but I like to keep a chart handy in the cockpit, even when I don't really need it. A very handy way to maintain situational awareness.

I use a clear plastic one made for sea kayaking. The edge seals up, protecting the chart from the weather, and there are grommets in the corners so you can tie it down if need be. Fold the chart to show the part you need (or photo copy that part). The cover is clear on both sides, so showing on the other side you can put copies of appropriate tide tables, notes, pages from coast pilot books or cruising guides....whatever.

Alaska: We're here, because we're not all there!
AK_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 15:56   #17

Boat: Mac 26x
I have a waterproof A4 size clear plastic wallet,the type that you can buy in sports shops.

I make notes called passage planning and these i read whilst navigating solo,the notes contain stuff like back bearings and clearing bearings bouyage etc

on the other side of the wallet i have A4 photocopys of charts.

it also pays big dividends if you can read the water,different patterns on the surface can indicate a change in depth,rocks etc

small chartplotters are also an excellent aid to navigation,i think that its important to have more than one source of nav

bastonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 16:43   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
The best way to do this is to have a small notebook with the whole of your trip drawn out, and the use of clearing bearings from prominent objects to keep you safe - i.e. The notebook shows where you are on the passage, and shows the prominent object, and also any dangerous places (shallows rocks etc) then the bearing lines (allowing decent safety margin). Make sure that you have made the appropriate true to magnetic conversion.

This will make the task easy.
I like this approach and will use the same in the future. So far I've been fortunate enough to not be singlehanding in conditions that require specific navigation combined with quick manuevering.

I have a chart table down below and a hand bearing compass on me. Couple that with a wife at the helm who knows how to steer properly, and I've been good to go so far.

But this is a handy technique. Cheers to you sir!
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 20:28   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Sounds like another situation where the sailor is trying to use equipment that is not appropriate to the situation. In the OP's situation that is a totally visual navigation situation. You need to be physically aware of where you are and the effect of the current and wind and leeway of the boat to determine your next "aiming point" after each tack. The suggestions to use a "waterproof chart" or at least a plastic zip-lock baggie (the 2-gallon size are great) to hold your folded paper chart is the proper solution.
- - Because of variation in winds, currents and other factors - pre-planning turning points is not viable or even possible. What about intervening traffic, you have to alter course to avoid other vessels - so you will need to determine each leg "real-time" and adjust for all the above mentioned factors. This is how you become a real navigator.
- - Reviewing and being thoroughly familiar with the obstacles / depths / shore-line shape and landmarks before you leave the dock/shore is critical to a successful and enjoyable sail. Occasional glances at your paper chart in its "zip-lock" or other baggie will refresh in your mind what is ahead on the next leg.
- - Unless you have somebody else on-board who is actually sailing the boat you will not have time to do plotting, etc. Besides, the idea is to enjoy the sailing of the boat and pay attention to traffic and other things around you - not keep your head down playing with charts and plotting tools.

osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

navigation, singlehanding

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: