Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2017, 14:13   #1

Boat: Watkins Sea Wolf 25
Navigation From New Jersey to Long Island

Hi All:

My apologies if this question has been asked and answered. I couldn't find an answer when I searched. But...

What's the best route for sailing a boat from Brick, NJ to Brookhaven, NY and how long should that trip take this time of year?

After lurking on this forum for a couple of years, and then joining, and becoming silent--while we figured out how to get a boat--we got a boat! But she's currently in Brick, NJ, and we need to get her to the Forge River.

Any and all advice welcomed. Many thanks!
Old 05-06-2017, 15:26   #2

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft
Re: Navigation From New Jersey to Long Island

Good Evening RedFeather

A lot depends on your vessel; the Great South Bay is notoriously shallow, so you'll mostly by motoring in the channels making your way towards the Moriches. You can enter at either Jones Inlet or Fire Island Inlet... check Chart #12352 for the relevant details.

Enjoy!
Old 05-06-2017, 19:31   #3

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Draft and size of vessel helpful.
Both Barnegat Bay and Great South Bay shallow.
I have sailed both bays but do not have the local knowledge you will need.
But can give you some broad strokes to get started.
You need local knowledge at both ends.
Maybe call Forge River YC find out about depths and inlets.
Distance from Barnegat inlet to Fire Island inlet about 60 nm...plus hours to/from
inlets. If average speed 5 knots?? would be 12 hours outside plus 4-5 hours to/from inlets.
You want to leave/enter inlets during daylight.
If going straight thru (probably not) you want to leave in afternoon cruise all night and
enter inlet in daylight next morning. Keeping a good watch for heavy traffic.
More likely, break up into 2 days, overnight at a Atlantic Highlands mooring or anchor
inside Sandy Hook. (will add 10-15?? miles to trip) will be a long day.
You want a good weather window with a westerly component to the wind. (better seas)
Southwest will be prevailing.
Few thoughts...
Get Sea Tow or US Boats tow membership if you don't have.
Barnegat Inlet has a sea wall on the north side extending out a good way and sometimes is awash.
Coast Guard will have info on conditions/depth of inlets, check it out.
Thinking you do not want to go near Moriches Inlet (shoaling) ...your draft is??
Hopefully someone will chime in.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 20:00   #4

Thank you, SVRocinante and hugosalt!

Answers to some of your questions:

- We bought a Watkins 25 because of its 30-inch draft.
- We're hiring a local captain from Brick, NJ to help us out of what we understand is a tricky spot, given the two drawbridges and a knarly current, on that end.
- The captain in Brick says we should leave at dawn to catch the tide and bridges right, assuming we have the wind we need. He also says we should figure on 5-knot speeds on average and figures it'll take about two days roughly, if we stop over in Far Rockaway. Is that better/worse than Atlantic Highlands or Sandy Hook?
- And yes, we have BoatUS towing.

Will definitely call Forge River Yacht Club for details.

Thanks again!
Old 06-06-2017, 08:58   #5

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRocinante View Post
Good Evening RedFeather

A lot depends on your vessel; the Great South Bay is notoriously shallow, so you'll mostly by motoring in the channels making your way towards the Moriches. You can enter at either Jones Inlet or Fire Island Inlet... check Chart #12352 for the relevant details.

Enjoy!
Ditto on the Great South Mud
Flat.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:14   #6

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

As for Moriches Inlet, see this note:
Moriches Inlet Unsafe, Nav Aids Removed:
Worsening shoaling conditions have been reported at the entrance to Moriches Inlet. It is considered unsafe for mariners to attempt to navigate this inlet at any time. Buoys are no longer maintained in this inlet. Shoaling has also been reported in Moriches Bay along the Long Island Intracoastal Waterway in the vicinity of Moriches Bay Buoys 17,18, 21, 26, 27, 28 and 29 extending the entire width of the channel at any tide level. The area from Buoy 17 to 21 is navigable only at high tide. The most severe area of shoaling can be found between buoys 26 and 27 and is less than 3 ft. Shoaling is also reported in the vicinity of Moriches Inlet East Cut Buoys 3E and 5E. Mariners should be aware that the Aids to Navigation in these areas have been deemed unreliable due to shoaling and mariners are advised to seek alternate routes. (First District LNM Week 18/2017)
As for whether Atlantic Highlands/Sandy Hook is "better" than Far Rockaway, I think it depends for what. If you're looking for a marina to overnight in, whether on a mooring or in a slip, there are plenty of them in the Atlantic Highlands area. I believe Atlantic Highlands Municipal Marina even runs a launch service for its mooring customers, but it's been a while so you'll want to double check that, so you can access plenty of nearby restaurants. However, as hugosalt points out, it is out of your way and requires you to go around Sandy Hook and back southwest - away from your destination. I don't know what facilities there are in Far Rockaway. Looking at Active Captain it does seem like there are fewer marinas in the Rockaways but it is less of a detour. As for anchoring overnight, I haven't done that in that area and can't offer an opinion. Personally, for a delivery trip like this I'd probably keep the distance as short as possible and opt for Far Rockaway or thereabouts but my wife would prefer the marina near restaurants approach so we'd be in NJ.

Depending on the day of the week and the time of day, watch out for the commercial traffic or the power boaters with more horsepower than common sense when crossing over from NJ to NY.

Good luck with the trip.

Tom
Tom_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:51   #7

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Many years ago I sailed a 17' Cape Cod Catboat from Center Moriches to Sandy Hook in one, long daylight leg. I was not knowledgeable about the south shore of LI at that time. Here's what I learned. Moriches Inlet is difficult at best without local knowledge. If I were to do it again I would try to follow a similar boat with local knowledge if possible.

Crossing lower NY harbor should be done in good visibility especially on weekends. I would favor overnighting behind Sandy Hook (Horseshoe Cove) rather than crossing the lower harbor.

From what you said about your hired captain's advice, it seems he taking you through the Bayhead-Point Pleasant canal to the Manasquan River and out the Manasquan Inlet. I agree that is a better rout than the Barnegat inlet. But I would strongly recommend that you make that leg on a weekday, the canal and inlet get very busy and confused on weekends.

I would also recommend going to the Manasquan Inlet jetty before the sail to observe how the wave action in the ocean affects exiting the inlet.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:19   #8

Boat: Pearson 34-2

Hello! We just sailed from Staten Island to Moriches Bay yesterday. Jones inlet is probably safer for you, being a little closer and wider, and seems to be better behaved. then take the State Channel into Great South bay. We came in Fire Island Inlet and had no issues, but we timed it well. You NEED to time it correctly so you arrive at slack tide. Do not try at limited visibility. You may need to call the bridge operator on Channel 13 if you can't clear the bridges; there are also two draw bridges you will need to go under on Sloop Channel on the way to the State Channel, then the bridge at Smith Point. I also heard much shoaling in the area around Moriches Inlet. I believe you can call Boat US/ Towboat in Moriches to get some local guidance. Follow the channel markers very closely in the narrow channels, as there is little room. Good luck! It should be a nice trip if you plan it well.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:53   #9

Thanks, everyone, for the great advice. Much appreciated!

Our hired captain has said he will only do the trip during the week; no weekend harbor crossings for him.

We're not worried about being close to restaurants for this trip, so Far Rockaway may work for us as a stopover point.

And the warnings about shoaling in Moriches Inlet are definitely on point. Those of you in that area may know or have heard that about two or three weeks ago, the city cleared away all the docks on one side of Second Neck Creek and plan to dredge that creek and others along the Forge River to improve the worsening shoaling there and in other places in the area.

Our neighbors have warned us about Moriches Inlet, having seen others get hung up there.
Old 14-06-2017, 08:22   #10

UPDATE:

Hi All:

The sail went well and was uneventful and fun. I ended up not being able to make the trip, but my husband sailed with the hired captain.

At one point, I'm told, the water was so shallow in the Great South Bay (aka Mud Flats) that the boat just kissed the bottom of the bay. But she's safely docked at home now.

Thanks for the great advice! This is a remarkable community.
Old 14-06-2017, 09:57   #11

Boat: Pearson 34-2

Glad the trip went well! We keep our boat off Bellport Bay. Let me know if I can help.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Long Island, navigation, new jersey