Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2017, 02:51   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Navigation challenge - hitting a bullet with a snail?

OK, this may become one of my silliest posts yet... but please, hear me out.

This summer (December in the Southern Hemisphere), the Volvo Ocean Race boats will sail from Cape Town to my old home town, Melbourne.

Let me tell you, as a Melbourne boy, born and raised... I have no idea why they are sailing to Melbourne. But they are. They probably have a good reason.

Anyway, I will be in Adelaide as they sail past to the South of me, and I am wondering if it would be possible to sail out there into Bass Straight and actually watch them sail past. As in, get them in sight at least.

Initially I thought "Not a chance." I mean my boat does 6 knots on a good day, and those things are doing 25 or more.

But... then... I only have to sail North/South, to intercept them... and their location and course are pretty well known in near real time.

What do you navigator types think? Possible?

Oh, and I already know the idea is totally silly, so no need to point that out. I mean it could be dark, the weather could be wrong (though that's a decent time of year for the weather in that area), etc etc. Just trying to figure out if the degree of course variation those boats display makes it possible to get them in sight. And I get a few tries at it, there's what, half a dozen of them or more. (If none have run aground or broken masts by that stage.)

Matt
Old 16-10-2017, 03:15   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Navigation challenge - hitting a bullet with a snail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
OK, this may become one of my silliest posts yet... but please, hear me out.

This summer (December in the Southern Hemisphere), the Volvo Ocean Race boats will sail from Cape Town to my old home town, Melbourne.

Let me tell you, as a Melbourne boy, born and raised... I have no idea why they are sailing to Melbourne. But they are. They probably have a good reason.

Anyway, I will be in Adelaide as they sail past to the South of me, and I am wondering if it would be possible to sail out there into Bass Straight and actually watch them sail past. As in, get them in sight at least.

Initially I thought "Not a chance." I mean my boat does 6 knots on a good day, and those things are doing 25 or more.

But... then... I only have to sail North/South, to intercept them... and their location and course are pretty well known in near real time.

What do you navigator types think? Possible?

Oh, and I already know the idea is totally silly, so no need to point that out. I mean it could be dark, the weather could be wrong (though that's a decent time of year for the weather in that area), etc etc. Just trying to figure out if the degree of course variation those boats display makes it possible to get them in sight. And I get a few tries at it, there's what, half a dozen of them or more. (If none have run aground or broken masts by that stage.)

Matt
Well if you are going as far as Bass Strait, jill around Cape Otway and you are sure see a couple of them; if not, nip up to Point Lonsdale.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 03:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Well if you are going as far as Bass Strait, jill around Cape Otway and you are sure see a couple of them; if not, nip up to Point Lonsdale.
Yeah, getting a bit close to Melbourne for my taste. I am currently stuck here in Melbourne, have been for a while. Totally can't wait to get home. Certainly not keen to sail back.

I made the mistake of smiling at dad's neighbour today. I swear she looked at me like I was about to expose myself and I am sure she was reaching for the pepper spray. I ran back inside the house and hid for a while.
Old 16-10-2017, 03:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
More importantly, there'd be something really special about seeing them out in the open ocean.
Old 16-10-2017, 03:20   #5

If they are navigating the Rip, I wonder if they'll wait for the tides...
Old 16-10-2017, 08:54   #6

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Just your brand of boat pretty much guarantees success.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 09:09   #7

Boat: voyage Mayotte 50 ft cat

Not a silly idea at all. There is an enjoyable interception navigational calculation that you can do to intercept them. You require their track and speed as well as your starting point and speed. The arc will give you an exact intersection point. see OIC-NW Reviewer Blog: Course To Intercept Vessel

Regards
YPSILANTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 09:14   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

How long will it take you to reach an intercept point? Their track and ETA will be relatively easy to forecast given the accuracy of the tracker; put that together with a weather forecast and it comes down to whether you want to go or not and how long you need to leave in order to get there. Yes you may be bobbing around for a few hours but if it's daylight and the weather is acceptable then it all comes down to whether it's worth the trouble to you. Would be interesting for sure.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 10:42   #9

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

It's not rocket science. Pick the closest point that is on their course. Calculate when they will reach it. Using the distance to the selected interception point and your average speed calculate a departure time. Subtract a few hours for errors and you have your departure time, course and speed.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 11:00   #10

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I'm pretty sure the racers are going to be broadcasting AIS, which should simplify the intercept.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 11:19   #11

Well, nobody thinks I'm mad, or they are too polite to say so, which is nice.

But, watching these boats I am just no so sure about the whole course thing. They seem to weave about a bit. Sure their overall course is reasonably steady but is it really likely I can get within a half mile of them, which I think would be the maximum distance you'd want to make it worthwhile.
Old 16-10-2017, 11:20   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by YPSILANTI View Post
Not a silly idea at all. There is an enjoyable interception navigational calculation that you can do to intercept them. You require their track and speed as well as your starting point and speed. The arc will give you an exact intersection point. see OIC-NW Reviewer Blog: Course To Intercept Vessel

Regards

Good stuff!
Old 16-10-2017, 14:41   #13

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

Pretty sure most sail a long way South, go below tassie & head up the East coast to Sydney. Not sure about destination Melbourne though.
I know Jessica Watson went way South so there was much less chance of hitting ships at night on auto pilot.
Might be more favourable winds more South too perhaps?
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 14:50   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
If they are navigating the Rip, I wonder if they'll wait for the tides...
Depends where the finish line for the leg is located, and that's probably on their website.

Anyhow, I don't think pepper spray is legal in Oz. Instant antipathy is hard to take.

Ann
Old 16-10-2017, 15:15   #15

They are going to stop over in Melbourne so that means they'll go North of Tassie unless all the navigators trained on Vestas Wind. :^)

Tags
navigation