Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 28-09-2015, 14:06   #1

Boat: Hylas 54
Navigation back up. Navionics and Macbook

I have a raymarine E120 and E80 on board running avionics charts. As a back up I wanted to run Navionics charts on our two MacBook Airs. Additional backup from a handheld GPS that takes AA batteries, and full sets of paper charts for all locations.

BUT. I cannot find out if and how you can use Navionics Charts on a Macbook. Seems simple for iPAD and iPhone but not a Macbook. Any thoughts?

Old 29-09-2015, 19:54   #2
cruiser

Boat: 2007 Beneteau 393 Cyclades
Re: Navigation back up. Navionics and Macbook

I've always done the same thing- use Navionics on my mobile devices. I have it on my iPad, iPhone, Android phone and Galaxy tablet.
Unfortunately I haven't tried on a macbook.
However, here is the link to the app compatibility:
http://www.navionics.com/sites/defau...ty_guide_0.pdf

I'll see if I can dig up any more information from my Navionics friends.

Old 01-10-2015, 19:39   #3

Boat: Bristol 45.5

I also use Navionics on an iPad and have not given any thought to how to use it on a laptop. Interestingly, the Navionics charts on the IPad are better than on the chart plotter - and much cheaper too.
Still looking for our next boat. Have decided we want to have something that will keep us happy for the next 10 years or so. By then I will be pushing 80 and if i am still sailing that will be a very good thing.
AiniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 19:41   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
I also use Navionics on an iPad and have not given any thought to how to use it on a laptop. Interestingly, the Navionics charts on the IPad are better than on the chart plotter - and much cheaper too.
The charts on the chartplotter must be updated manually so probably that's why the ones on the iPad look better. To update the charts on the chartplotter you must take out the microchip, put it in your computer and use the Navionics website
https://store-mirror.navionics.com/h...load?locale=en
to update the data. Otherwise, it will still have older data on it.
Old 01-10-2015, 21:15   #5

Boat: Boatless at this time (is this a word?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiehobie View Post
I have a raymarine E120 and E80 on board running avionics charts. As a back up I wanted to run Navionics charts on our two MacBook Airs. Additional backup from a handheld GPS that takes AA batteries, and full sets of paper charts for all locations.

BUT. I cannot find out if and how you can use Navionics Charts on a Macbook. Seems simple for iPAD and iPhone but not a Macbook. Any thoughts?

You can purchase and download MacENC - #1 Mac app for real-time marine navigation & charting which has a cost and can be used to access your x-traverse account that has your Navionics Charts. You have two locations for each chart package you have purchased so you could have one set on each Mac. X-traverse is the site that sells the Navionics charts https://www.x-traverse.com/supported-products
Old 01-10-2015, 22:57   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 28

Thats awesome, but too much redundancy for me. I have two chart plotters each with a avionics platinum chip, and a garmin handled with presided charts, and paper charts. I decided not to do the iPad iPhone thing.

But they are so much cheaper. Why is the app, which I believe is worldwide coverage for you iPad like $50, when a sing;e chip for a specific coverage area is in the hundreds?

As to the questions, I do believe you have to download a program to run it on your macbook, it wasn't designed for that. There is this iPad iPhone game I play, and to get it to be played on the macbook there is a program people download. I think it is the same. I have heard reports of only mixed success. I wouldn't expect an app designed for iPad navigation to work seamlessly on you computer.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 18:56   #7
cruiser

Check out Fugawi for the software
Old 10-10-2015, 10:28   #8

Boat: Morgan OI 37

Quote:
Chart Plotting options & preferences?
I just purchased a Morgan OI 37 that has dated Loran C and I am deciding what to upgrade the nav aids with. My thoughts are a regular Chartplotter, iPad or a mini laptop with windows using something like Navionics.
My question is: Do/can the ipads operate off of satellites or do the use cell towers for triangulation?
I have used external GPS antennae attached to a laptop in the past for live plotting and it seemed to work fine but hat was 5 years ago.

Thanks
Old 13-10-2015, 20:58   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoucks View Post
I just purchased a Morgan OI 37 that has dated Loran C and I am deciding what to upgrade the nav aids with. My thoughts are a regular Chartplotter, iPad or a mini laptop with windows using something like Navionics.
My question is: Do/can the ipads operate off of satellites or do the use cell towers for triangulation?
I have used external GPS antennae attached to a laptop in the past for live plotting and it seemed to work fine but hat was 5 years ago.

Thanks
The iPad does not need cell or wifi to track you (i.e. it uses satellites) AS LONG AS YOU HAVE AN INTERNAL GPS IN THE IPAD. The big misconception about iPads not following you (and therefore apps like Navionics not working) came from iPads that did not have internal GPS. These do need cell towers or wifi to be able to pinpoint your location.
Again, most iPads these days do NOT need cell. Just be sure it has an internal GPS.
Old 14-10-2015, 02:26   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We run Raymarine with Navonics as our primary and for back up we run OpenCPN on both a Tablet and now on our laptop. We use a Hamlet GPS receiver that is Bluetooth and solar powered.
We have actually had to use it when we lost our Raymarine twice and our backup works well. We also test it on occasion.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 14:41   #11

Boat: Morgan OI 37
Cool Re: Navigation back up. Navionics and Macbook

Hi all,
Thanks for the feedback!
I downloaded the OPENCPN.org software together with some NOAA RNC charts onto my PC. Looks pretty good! I found a Bluetooth GPS Antenna for $80 Canadian.

I also carry 2 hand helds, a Lowrance and a Garmin for back up.
As I sail with a friend during the winter in Florida, I will test the live navigation on his boat against his Chart Plotter.

Ultimately I think the perfect solution is to have a chartplotter mounted on the pedestal pod. I really like having it in view while on the helm.

As always I value your input.
toyacquisition arrives via truck next week. I will then winterize it and look forward to next spring. Hope Santa puts out for some sailing accessories this year.

Tags
navigation, navionics

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: