Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-08-2014, 08:30   #1
cruiser

Boat: 2007 Beneteau 393 Cyclades
Navigating the Reefs of Andros

We sailed around the northern part of eastern Andros a few years ago and the reefs there are really dangerous. They pop up out of nowhere!
I was checking out that area on my map for a trip we're planning and it's really amazing the difference in the map versions (see image below)... anybody used Navionics maps in the Andros? Pointers?

Old 08-08-2014, 08:46   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Navigating the Reefs of Andros

We have not cruised about Andros, but for other areas of the Bahamas we've found the Explorer charts to have the best information.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:50   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

Navionics is very poor in the Bahamas as they will not adopt Explorer data. Only use electronic charts that use Explorer data such as Garmin or C-Map. If you do a search you will find lots of posts (many from me ) about how lousy Navionics is in the Bahamas.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:35   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Try NV charts, you may like them.

nv-charts Reg. 9.2, Bahamas Central, Andros to Exumas & Eleuthera Islands - mit App Karten zum sofort Download!-9592

Available in paper, raster, etc.

I used their Android App, not sure if they make an i.Thing App.

b.
Old 08-08-2014, 15:20   #5

Boat: csy 37

What vasco says - Explorer charts only! Garmin uses electronic chart version of Explorer. Avoid Navionics charts for the bahamas!

But the best navigation tool when near reefs is your Eyeballs!
Old 08-08-2014, 15:25   #6

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
But the best navigation tool when near reefs is your Eyeballs!
Preferably by a lookout aloft if you can manage it on the boat.
Old 09-08-2014, 13:34   #7

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Explorer Charts. Plot a line of waypoints on your paper chart equal to the distance you plan to sail each day or to a particular reef entry point. Stay two miles east of these waypoints and update your track every half hour to account for set and drift from winds and tides. On some days, there are combinations of wind and tide that will dramatically set you off course and on the rocks if you're lazy in your navigation. I wouldn't trust any electronic chart when close to land/reefs. Keep a good DR track and use eyeball navigation. If in doubt, stay out! Good luck and good sailing. P.S. You won't find the roaming herds on Andros!
Old 15-08-2014, 13:24   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Silverton 33' "First Noel"

Ok guys, talk is cheap. Let's do some screen shots that will show both Explorer and Navionics. I'm up for the challenge. Make sure you add in the Lat./long so we all are in the same area. I will be traveling for the next few days but i will check in to see the response. Have a great weekend.
Old 15-08-2014, 13:45   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Anyone remember what thread that catamaran was on that ran up on a reef following their Navionics data?
Old 15-08-2014, 13:52   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoel View Post
Ok guys, talk is cheap. Let's do some screen shots that will show both Explorer and Navionics. I'm up for the challenge. Make sure you add in the Lat./long so we all are in the same area. I will be traveling for the next few days but i will check in to see the response. Have a great weekend.

Simple screen shots will not point out the terrible geo referencing errors in Navionics. You have to be there, on the water to realize what terrible errors exist. For example you can be anchored off Ship Channel Cay, on the west side of this cay and Navionics will show that you're on the Sound (ocean) side of the cay. Another example, if you enter Dotham Cut from the Sound and run the cut Navionics will show you going over the Cay to the north. I could go on and on, it's not only the lack of good data it's rife with geo referencing errors.

On the data side many areas in Navionics are blank without even proper shorelines. A quick look at Normans Cay on Navionics and Explorer Charts will be all you need to understand how poor Navionics in the Bahamas is.
Old 20-08-2014, 04:51   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Silverton 33' "First Noel"

And again Asking to see examples to compare. How old is the Navionics data that you are looking at? Navionics wants and will have the best data available to the sailing and cursing community for the Bahamas. Here is a link to the Navionics Web APP. Navionics WebApp - Product Catalog Do some screen shots using the Navionics Web APP. Navionics will make ever effort to make corrections. Need your help. It's all up to you.
Old 20-08-2014, 06:15   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Simple screen shots will not point out the terrible geo referencing errors in Navionics. You have to be there, on the water to realize what terrible errors exist.
I've got Garmin and Navionics, Navionics in my chartplotter and the app, I find Garmin to be far better and I'm just in Fl.
In at least one instance if I follow the navionics charts in my local area to the marked anchorage, I'll end up in the middle of a small island, chart is off by about 500M or so. I've yet to find the Garmin to have much error.
Old 20-08-2014, 07:07   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
And again Asking to see examples to compare. How old is the Navionics data that you are looking at? Navionics wants and will have the best data available to the sailing and cursing community for the Bahamas. Here is a link to the Navionics Web APP. Navionics WebApp - Product Catalog Do some screen shots using the Navionics Web APP. Navionics will make ever effort to make corrections. Need your help. It's all up to you.
I am using the latest Navionics electronic charts of the Bahamas. Bought it last January to go with my new Raymarine plotter. The chip is worse than my old Navionics chip bought in 2004. Much of the good data that was on the old chip has been removed from the new one. I understand that this was because Navionics had to remove proprietary data.

If as you say " Navionics wants and will have the best data available to the sailing and cursing community for the Bahamas" they would buy Explorer Charts data rather than selling a chip with errors and blank areas. By the way, your typo about "cursing" is quite appropriate because that's what I end up doing when using the latest Navionics chip.

As far as Navionics needing my help to make corrections, that is patently untrue. When I first got my Navionics chip, I corresponded with Navionics pointing out many errors. Their reply was that they used their own data and told me a "new" chip was available. When asked, they would not tell me whether the specific errors I pointed out had been corrected. I'm glad I did not buy the new chip at that time as a fellow cruiser did and it was worse than the old chip which had "borrowed" data.

Again, if you intend to cruise the Bahamas do not use Navionics.
Old 20-08-2014, 07:11   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
And again Asking to see examples to compare. Navionics will make ever effort to make corrections. Need your help. It's all up to you.
Have you corrected Normans Cay? I used that as an example in an earlier post.
Old 20-08-2014, 07:24   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Aside from which chart system is best I have to go along with the previous suggestions that eyeball navigation is the best method. I would go so far as to say the only completely safe method of navigation in shallow areas with coral heads and reefs.

Even the best charts just do not have the detail needed to show every single reef in the Bahamas

Tags
reefs

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: