Marine Service Provider

Boat: Silverton 33' "First Noel"
Re: Navigating the Reefs of Andros

Click image for larger version

Name:	Norman Cay.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	86916
Here is a screen shot of Norman Cay. Where does it need to be fixed? What chart are you running in your Raymarine? Did you register the chip and do a Freshest Data Update? just asking.

JNoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 14:43   #17

I just got back from a run from Nassau down to Jackfish Channel at the southern tip of Andros in July. I draw almost 5ft and primarilly used a Garmin 441s with the factory charts that were in the unit when I bought it 2 years ago. We basically ran "inside" the reef from Fresh Creek all the way down. With the exception of a few times when the tide was dead low and one or two places where you must go out, taking the inside route was no problem at all. Coral heads are easily spotted, though there were a few in dark grassy areas that may have been hard to see with low light. I found the Garmin Charts dead on correct the entire way. We ran aground once just south of Driggs Hill at dead low tide and had to wait about an hour for the tide to come in. We found the tides south of Mars Bay to be late from the predictions. At Jackfish, the tides were late by 3 hours. I'm not sure if that is usual or due to the stiff SE breeze but the 3hr late highs and lows lasted the entire week.

During the entire trip we only passed one local fishing boat and didn't see anyone while at anchor for a week in Jackfish Channel. I think everyone was waiting for lobster season to open. We had BTC cell service all the way, including at the southern tip (standing on the flybridge).

The harbor at Driggs Hill is free with no power or water but is well marked and safe in all winds. Roudy, the owner of the Rusty Barge Bar will help you get fuel with his truck. I think the price was like $6.50/GAL. Lisbon Creek is well marked also. Lighthouse Marina at Fresh Creek is currently in bad shape but still has fuel. I think the government has taken it over. The water ships between Nassau and Morgan's Bluff no longer run so you can now tie up in the harbor at Morgan's. Christopher Curry is a good man for anything at Morgan's.

Basically I would sum up the trip as nice people, off the megayacht track.... Just plan your runs knowing the state of the tides and expect to anchor Bahama style with 2 anchors in alternating current over grass. You will probably need to dive and hand set your anchors unless you are in a harbor. Finally, the East winds get stronger the further South you go and most of the time the reef just breaks the swell down to a stiff chop.

I hope this was useful.

neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 14:57   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

Originally Posted by JNoel View Post
Attachment 86916
Here is a screen shot of Norman Cay. Where does it need to be fixed? What chart are you running in your Raymarine? Did you register the chip and do a Freshest Data Update? just asking.

Clearly you have not been to Normans Cay if you claim this is it. Where is the entrance to the anchorage? I suggest you get a copy of the Explorer Chart for the Exumas and then compare their chart to Navionics. You will see many differences and the Explorer Chart is the accurate one.

As I said earlier I corresponded with Navionics and they were no help (actually Kristina Crocker of Navionics offered to reimburse me for the chip but I declined as I was more interested in getting a correct chart) but perhaps you could tell me where Navionics got their data from and the date of survey and why the latest Navionics copy has less accurate data than the 2004 copy. In addition you might be able to tell me why geo-referencing errors I pointed out to Navionics in 2006 have not been corrected.

I cruise the Bahamas every winter. Believe me if Navionics were as accurate as Explorer Charts I would not waste my time on these posts.
Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 06:29   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 2007 Beneteau 393 Cyclades

We did use Navionics to navigate into the marina at Rum Cay, Bahamas. This area is very well-known for the random coral heads and very dangerous and shallow marina entry. The charts were right on, down to the foot and got us in safely.

Rum Cay - Navionics Chart

Rum Cay- Sonar Navionics Chart

hogHunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: