Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2016, 13:46   #16

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Nav without electronics book

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatknot View Post
Any know of a old (or new) on how to navigate without electronics like in the old days? I would like to learn how it was done.

"Piloting and Deadreckoning" by Shufeldt et al is the best I've found for inshore and coastal navigation.

Offshore there's a whole list of potential books that teach the various different forms of celestial navigation. The most popular form of small boat sailors seems to be HO249 and Mary Blewitt's book describing how to use it seems to have a plurality of proponents if not a majority.

A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground you would never try to refloat it.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 15:28   #17

Compas and sextant? Ok, add somebooks. And without the sextant, a leadline, and a trailed log, a watch and papercharts. And some tools to work the chart.. Pencil paralel ruler or triangles, dividers
jakkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 16:26   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

get hold of Mary Blewitt's book; celestial navigation. You will also need reduction tables. We carry air navigation versions - and the last time the GPS was turned off, that I recall was the first Gulf War and we had just bought our first electronic version, a Furuno Navigator that displayed Lat/Lon, SOG and heading. Times have certainly moved on.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 22:32   #19

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Simplified navigation by the sun Bill Belcher is a very good book. Hard to find copies these days.. El Pinguino on here has an excellent series of PDF's from an old article he wrote years ago. Might be worth a PM

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 12-08-2016, 23:54   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I had an online look for this book as I think someone mentioned it before - I couldnt find anything unfortunately.
Old 13-08-2016, 01:43   #21

What is the value of a calculator to a child that was never taught calculus?
What is the value of electronic navigation if you don't know the first thing about navigation?

Dead reckoning isn't old school, it is basic knowledge any blue water sailor should master. Navigating using your primary instruments only is a basic skill, you should try it.
Bor the Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 01:53   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Couldnt agree more. Those of us that carry a sextant and tables just need to ensure we continue to use them to keep ourselves in practise. I tried using my Tamaya NC-77 about two years. It was fine previously by entering the date as day 99 of month 99 for the year 1999 as the unit was only programmed until 2000. I have now discovered from the website that that since 2007 it cannot be used. It really should be replaced with an NC-2100G or revert to basics.
Regardless, it shows when I last used my sextant and I now need to knuckle down and refresh myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bor the Wolf View Post
What is the value of a calculator to a child that was never taught calculus?
What is the value of electronic navigation if you don't know the first thing about navigation?

Dead reckoning isn't old school, it is basic knowledge any blue water sailor should master. Navigating using your primary instruments only is a basic skill, you should try it.
Old 13-08-2016, 14:00   #23

Boat: Purchase pending
Send a message via Skype™ to budm303

Polaris (or S.X ... ) and a good log. Most of the time, a precomputed single heading will make a reasonable landfall.
budm303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 15:03   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

.....and a good log! Spot on. We still have a boxed Walker taff rail log - never used cos Ive worried that something big shall scoff the spinner - and come to think of it Im not sure where the box is. Time to think about testing myself again. It shall probably take hours to reduce a sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budm303 View Post
Polaris (or S.X ... ) and a good log. Most of the time, a precomputed single heading will make a reasonable landfall.
Old 13-08-2016, 15:24   #25

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Nice to see so much interest in this! Both from new sailors, & more seasoned folks.

Bowditch's was one of the primaries at the US Naval Academy for quite a while. Not sure if they still are. But I've still got mine from when I was there, circa late '80s.
https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_27%3ANathaniel% 20Bowditch

Most of it's just common sense, well, the position finding bits anyway. And I can't honestly see serious sailors not knowing the stuff. Especially consistently keeping a good DR plot, regardless of what electronics you do or don't have.
Celestial's a bit tougher, but it's good to know the basics of that too. The biggest sticking point with it is staying in practice.

One other thing which you might find of interest is the way that the ancient Polynesians used to (& still do) navigate, sans instruments, while doing trans-oceanic voyages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
You can download a copy of Bowditch's American Practical Navigator here: United States. Hydrographic Office | The Online Books Page
Also useful pubs.
A am a navy trained navigator and still practice. A sextant takes some skill to get an accurate fix and then is nowhere near GPS. On a stable ship, a really good fix is within a mile. Also, it's a series of fixes, morning stars, morning sun, local apparent noon, afternoon sun, evening stars, and moon shots if available. Previous line of positions brought are forward like a running fix and added to current fix.
Taking a course would probably give better results. Many colleges have night courses and business that sell sextants often have classes.
Thanks for this link! And I'd concur with most of what you said above. Though getting a sextant fix down to a mile speaks of real expertise to me. But I've only used them on sailboats, not shipboard.
Also, yes, taking a class does tend to make learning celestial easier... if, you have a good instructor.

As, for example, they made us learn all of the theoretical stuff first. Such as how to do the calc's the long way, by hand, sans calculator. Where one tiny mistake destroys 15min+ of work.
Only after doing this for a couple of months did we even see a sextant live. Ugh!

The insanity being that I can, & have, explained the basics to people in a couple of minutes. So don't let it intimidate you. It's basically geometry, if one distills things down.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 16:00   #26

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Simplified navigation by the sun Bill Belcher is a very good book. Hard to find copies these days.. El Pinguino on here has an excellent series of PDF's from an old article he wrote years ago. Might be worth a PM
Thankee Ben

Its here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ff-144799.html

Just bumped it cos I could....
Old 13-08-2016, 16:05   #27
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Great question....and I agree with others...learning the basics is not "old school" but just common sense!

From teaching navigation at a sailing school to studies at Marine College up to Master Mariner level, I have acquired a whole library of navigation textbooks.

However, if I could recommend just one book to take .... both as a navigation Primer and a tease into all topics a Captain should consider.

It would be this thin book written in layman's terms by a seasoned commercial mariner:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/2106171...ersion=NBD3946
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 16:16   #28

I took CYA Coastal Nav maybe 5 years ago - this is their entry-level nav course - and (besides the buoys and markers stuff) it was just about all maps and plots and DR, even in this age of GPS. I imagine just about all decent sailing school (US Sailing, RYA etc) nav courses would do the same.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 16:32   #29

Boat: wanting a cat

You can take the NauticEd Navigation course online for either cheap or free... covers all the details with a practical exercise and recommends the plotters, dividers, compass, etc. tools that you need.

Best and cheapest intro to manual marine navigation I have seen, the hard part is integrating tides and currents with traditional navigation.
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics