Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 19:32   #1

Mystic to Greenport and Greenport to Mystic

Last year I sailed from Greenport to Mystic at what I thought would be slack tide according to apps and the Eldridge guide. I tried to time it so the slack would be at the epicenter of where the chart says RIP TIDE RACE. It was a bumpy ride. A bumpy two hours. (End of June) I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge on how best to sail from Mystic to Greenport and from Greenport to Mystic. Conditions/Time of day/Tide/offer prayers to Poseidon or Neptune/ Route? Thanks
D.C.Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 20:12   #2

Boat: Formosa 41
Re: Mystic to Greenport and Greenport to Mystic

I would leave Mystic about a half hour before flood at the Race. I’d use the flood current all the way to Greenport but I wouldn’t go through Plum Gut, I’d go through The Sluiceway east of Plum Island.

Just be careful in The Sluiceway. The current will be against you for a short distance and it will set you to the west. To pick a number your bow might be crabbed over as much as 40* but it’s better than Plum Gut.

Once through The Sluiceway you’ll have more flood current south of Plum island, all the way to Greenport.

That’s how I’d do it. For whatever that’s worth.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 20:16   #3

Boat: Formosa 41
Re: Mystic to Greenport and Greenport to Mystic

To add, from Greenport to Mystic I’d do the reverse. Leave Greenport at the beginning of ebb. Same route back.

Of course all this is weather and wind dependent.

I sail in that area in the Summer and we usually can’t pick the best day to travel so we make do with the time we have and sail, motor sail or motor.

If you can, hit the mouth of the Mystic River at the beginning of flood ands use the flood current to help you get up the river to Mystic.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote