Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-06-2013, 21:03   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

Do the math! That's why he has $800 a month to live on now.
Ok, flame is what you so, lets hear how you feel about safety and how many miles you've got in you log.and a photo of your immaculate boat

Old 16-06-2013, 21:09   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post

Ok, flame is what you so, lets hear how you feel about safety and how many miles you've got in you log.and a photo of your immaculate boat
Flame, I see from your profile that you have little sailing experience but a stack of posts and you profess to know all about safety. I think not. Maybe you have something to learn from this old salt. I learn plenty every time I set foot on a boat. Living on about is not like sailing a boat.

Old 16-06-2013, 21:21   #63

I would like add to this thread that I consider AIS to be the best thing to boating since sliced bread. It's very comforting to know the coasties know where I am within US waters and a way beyond ( relaying) and a large hunk of steel doing 20knots can "see" me from about 20 miles off. I did my AIS transponder for around $500 from west marine on one of their sales and a spare antenna that I already had. Works 24/7 and no buttons to push! If every boat that is subject of being lost at sea were using one I bet the number of lost crew would be halved. I bet in the middle of any ocean with 80,000 large vessels around it won't be long before one of those will get a track on you. Comments?
Old 16-06-2013, 21:56   #64
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Missing Boats Threads

Quote:

I was backing you up. You bought a GREAT boat and now you live on $800 a month. We all know you didn't get a Hans Christian cheaply.
Old 16-06-2013, 22:00   #65
cruiser

Quote:
Flame, I see from your profile that you have little sailing experience but a stack of posts and you profess to know all about safety. I think not. Maybe you have something to learn from this old salt. I learn plenty every time I set foot on a boat. Living on about is not like sailing a boat.

You know, I DON'T profess to know all about safety. What I do know is that beginning sailors sometimes miss some crucial information, and on my blog I address what I've learned about those gaps. Nowhere have I ever claimed to be an expert in anything (unless you want to know about learning disabilities or attention deficit disorder, but I've retired from that field.)

I've been sailing for an INTENSE six years, and while not an expert, I'm not completely ignorant either. I'm sorry but your first post did sound a littla arrogant. Now you want to stomp on me. What's next?

I know about Florida storms -- not everything. I shared what I know. I know a fair amount about how to dock a boat safely single-handed. I shared it. I haven't told anyone how to lay fiberglass, or how to grind down their pistons or how to set a mizzen sail.

Why do you suppose that is?

Let's not have a food fight.
Old 16-06-2013, 22:30   #66

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

In my case, if I had all that stuff my boat would be missing cause I would have to hide out from my creditors. Furthermore that list is not complete...... How can you be safe without a ROCNA? I bet more boats are lost by failed hose clamps and faulty thru hull fittings than lack of items like AIS,GPS,SSB and all the other acronyms...

One last item....beer should not be criticized, unless it is bad beer!

Old 16-06-2013, 22:46   #67
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
In my case, if I had all that stuff my boat would be missing cause I would have to hide out from my creditors. Furthermore that list is not complete...... How can you be safe without a ROCNA? I bet more boats are lost by failed hose clamps and faulty thru hull fittings than lack of items like AIS,GPS,SSB and all the other acronyms...

One last item....beer should not be criticized, unless it is bad beer!

Oh GAWD hose clamps -- the guy who put my new engine in did a really really REALLY good job -- except for the automotive hose clamps on the salt water intake hose.

Only reason I found it in time was a friend's boat nearly sank from a split hose, so a friend and I went through my boat to check all the hoses.

All the hoses were fine, and the salt water intake hose was brand new -- but the hose CLAMPS were so rusted that some of them broke apart while being removed.

It doesn't matter how good the hose is if it FALLS OFF!!!!
Old 16-06-2013, 22:50   #68

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

More are lost due to lack of maintaince then most anything else! Ive seen a bunch of boats sink at the dock from simple things like bad shore power cords, or just improperly hooking them up !! batterys go down and pumps quit working ! simple stuff that some of us ck eveytime we look around the boat !! Like do you shut your thru hull valves on a secudual ?? Do you shut all of them when ya dock? Theres a lot of reasons to loose a boat, I would hate to loose one because I did not take care of her properly!! Im not trying to make a rant, but all the great tools in the world wont save a boat but a thinking seaman can and will ! Just my 2 cents

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: