Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 10:52   #271

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
Re: MISSING 75´s.y. LADY DOMINA

Blue Pelican..

Perhaps I´m asking TOO much,but, do you happen to remember WHICH AREA they were asking weather info for? Surely not the local waters?

TORE
Old 09-06-2013, 11:40   #272

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
If the above alert was raised by anyone in this thread you would have heard about it (from them) before now, it went out on the 13th of May....nearly a month ago...

never mind.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:00   #273

ok, 2 questions, 1. If they took a straight shot. the trip could still take this long? 2. If they were asking weather info from Puerto Rico. aren't they going the wrong way?
Just wondering. Spent my Sunday morning drinking coffee and reading this.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:19   #274

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdominic_97 View Post
ok, 2 questions, 1. If they took a straight shot. the trip could still take this long? 2. If they were asking weather info from Puerto Rico. aren't they going the wrong way?
Just wondering. Spent my Sunday morning drinking coffee and reading this.
We do not yet know whether Blue Pelican remembers the content of the transmission from the PR coast guard, so no idea what weather was requested by the Lady Domina.

And yes, it could take that long if the boat had difficulty of some kind. Reports here have varied as to its condition/state of repair, and we have no departure date.

All we can assume is that on the day Blue Pelican heard the coast guard transmit to the Lady D, it was within about 25 miles (vhf range) of Puerto Rico.

Since the lookout for her was initiated in May, no report has been made; this sort of indicates that she was not seen, but gives no idea as to the present condition of the vessel or its crew.

Ann
Old 09-06-2013, 13:38   #275
Armchair Bucketeer

At the risk of adding only to the speculation!.............but is it not possible that they delayed the start of their voyage either in Puerto Rico (on the hook somewhere quiet) or even a side trip elsewhere - whether by choice ("why rush? no one will miss us!") or from dull events (waiting for weather?), hence the call for a local(?) weather forecast.
Old 09-06-2013, 13:59   #276

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
At the risk of adding only to the speculation!.............but is it not possible that they delayed the start of their voyage either in Puerto Rico (on the hook somewhere quiet) or even a side trip elsewhere - whether by choice ("why rush? no one will miss us!") or from dull events (waiting for weather?), hence the call for a local(?) weather forecast.
Certainly possible. If I were making the voyage in my boat, I would have left St. Martin and headed NNW to pass north of Puerto Rico (which might be why the capt was concerned about Puerto Rico weather reports) and then north to catch the Gulf Stream off Florida. Once in the Gulf Stream, I would head on up the US coast, passing around the north Atlantic subtropical Gyre, then catch the Azores Current south of Labrador and have pretty favorable wind and current to the Azores. It would certainly be easier on the fuel budget and speed would be better. Albiet, the distance is longer, adding about 1200nm (at a guess), but I would not have to be battling the current and north east trades. If fuel, water and food was favorable, one could bypass the Azores completely and head directly for the UK, Vigo, or one of the northern Biscay ports.
Old 09-06-2013, 14:21   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Blue Pelican..

Perhaps I´m asking TOO much,but, do you happen to remember WHICH AREA they were asking weather info for? Surely not the local waters?

TORE
The answer that we heard Coast Guard provided was for local offshore waters of Puerto Rico. Whilst we are convinced it was a Lady Domina that we heard being spoken to, we cannot guarantee that this was the missing vessel. The Coast Guard's answer was conducted in a routine way. The weather around that period was a mix of light to moderate winds, and pleasant conditions. Around PR we were seeing some more North than expected, but nothing strong or exceptional.
Old 09-06-2013, 14:55   #278
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: MISSING 75´s.y. LADY DOMINA

If they were off Puerto Rico the odds are they'd be going via Bermuda to the Azores... makes no sense to go that far W only then to try go straight across as the crow flies.. the Stream would be hard work and just push them W and N... it also makes more sense fuel wise... its only 900 miles to Bermuda then 1200 odd to the Azores.. with favourable currents all the way.
Has anyone thought of checking out Bermuda..?

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 09-06-2013, 17:07   #279

Re: Missing 75´s.y. Lady Domina

If they left St. Martins on March 31St and hit Puerto Rico around April 30th, I wouldn't expect them in the Azores till Christmas
Old 09-06-2013, 17:13   #280

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by la vida nueva View Post
Hey Barnacle, Explain, please. Could they not have been weighing anchor, having spent a considerable amount of time in Puerto Rico?

Where are the best free anchorages in PR?
At #256 it says they took off from St Martin. I am not sure Puerto Rico is on the logical route from St Martin to the Azores.

It sounds more like a route to the Bahamas, Florida, or thereabouts.

b.
Old 09-06-2013, 17:26   #281

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

It makes sense if you are worried about fuel consumption. Direct to the Azores from St Martin would be a tough road to travel against the prevailing winds and current. If you head WNW or NNW you can catch the Stream and more favorable winds until you can catch the Azores current which will take you to the Azores proper. If one decides to go farther to the north of Bermuda, you are pretty much set for making landfall in the UK or one of the Biscay ports. I think they decided, without letting anyone else know, that they had chosen one of the more northern routes rather than trying to sail direct to the Azores.
Old 09-06-2013, 17:28   #282
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

It did cross my mind they might be gunkin' in the Bahamas, but why no word?
Old 09-06-2013, 19:14   #283
cruiser

Boat: 1987 Tayana 37

Lots of great points, as always.
Old 09-06-2013, 20:48   #284

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

The problem is that it appears that there are several different families involved, waiting for answers. I could see a single person or even a single family failing to contact friends or relatives for a while but not people with 2-3-4 different sets of associations. That indicates trouble out in the middle more than lazy cruising.
Old 09-06-2013, 23:20   #285
cruiser

Boat: 1987 Tayana 37

Sometimes I just scratch my head and wonder.

Sailing Savoir Faire: Life Raft Found In Lady Domina Search Area
Closed Thread