Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 02:58   #241
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I would suggest that the best route is to get the relevant authorities to issue a GMDSS safety notice, with predicted track etc

In practice at sea, in a small boat it's very difficult to " investigate" other sightings, hence unless something about it triggers concern , most yachts will sail on
Dave
Old 06-06-2013, 03:02   #242
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: MISSING 75īs.y. LADY DOMINA

As Phil says, Maderia may be the far better option for a boat set up like this one.
I have not really followed this thread, nor do I know motor boats, but this seams to be an old underprepared, high windage motor sailor that does barely 5 kts, and no useful sail.

It may well be after a few days experimenting they went rhumb line right across the Azores High... Ie straight for Maderia. Very few ships go that way as they head further north to Gibralter or Northern Europe. No sailing boats go that way. Into the wind and current they may really have been making only a few knots.

Quite frankly, if the boat doesn't produce a plan for their family, and has a lack of communications equipment aboorad what can one do to find them? Nothing really.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 06-06-2013, 03:05   #243

No apologies required boatman61... on the contrary, the response(s) have been great and much appreciated.

I was in no way having a pop at you or any others, I was simply addressing the 'respecting sailors wish to be away from it all at sea' theme that's cropped up throughout the thread.

thanks again
C
Old 06-06-2013, 03:10   #244
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Since they are over a month missing and they possibly sailed through that bad storm E of the Azores I suspect the worst.

Remember " when you hear hooves, think horses, not zebras "

I hope for a good outcome but it doesn't look good.

I don't beleive the Madeira angle.

Like everyone , I hope to be proven wrong

Dave
Old 06-06-2013, 04:09   #245

Thanks to everyone on here, all help info is greatly received. I have just spoken to Brian's partner and she is obviously keen to do whatever she can to raise/maintain awareness of this.
she would also like to make contact with Katy Lee's family. perhaps anyone that can help with this could private message me?
thanks again
C
Old 06-06-2013, 06:55   #246

I join the others in sending my best wishes for news of your friends and family. This is the reason I love this site-so many who have great and different ideas. You get view from all sides.

If it was someone I was looking for I would do all that was suggested-keeping sailing sites going to get the word out in the marinas and to those who are out there as well as definitely notifying the governments to get official backing. We have so many who will keep their eyes open I truly hope you get information soon. It is a big ocean and people want to present the possible outcomes. All could put themselves in that situation. Again, I hope you receive some information soon.

Best Wishes,

Gloria
Old 06-06-2013, 07:05   #247

Boat: a sailing boat

On our crossing (from Guadeloupe to the Azores, roughly the same track, we sailed the direct route) we met PLENTY of cargo traffic early on - maybe 8 to 10 ships a day. Further out we met at least one a day.

In our 'ship' there is always one in the cockpit and we do keep continuous lookout - no radar (and, back then, no AIS either). Perhaps this accounts somewhat for the fact that we see a lot where others see none.

If you look up Atlantic shipping lanes you will find that a boat that gets blown down (as the case would be with that storm) further South the situation can be dramatically different - there are way fewer cargo lanes there.

Contacting a company like say Maersk may help - they know the routes, they are a Scandinavian company, they may extend some help. I'd try.

b.
Old 06-06-2013, 17:06   #248
cruiser

Boat: 1987 Tayana 37

Great points. Love to hear people who have been there and done that give advice. I, also , and trying to reach the Lee family and have not found a link for them. If anyone has a good connection please let me know. What about Olvynd? Where is his family?
Old 07-06-2013, 14:34   #249

la vida nueva is claiming a report of some contact between Lady Domina and Puerto Rica as recently as the 3rd of May. Unfortunately, and God Knows his reasoning, he is refusing to divulge any details or source this contact. obviously all the evidence points towards him being full of ****, but if there is the slightest possibility of some truth in his claims we need to follow this up. so here's what he sent me (and family members) earlier,,,,
We received a report Kati Lee said the boat was headed to Puerto Rico before the Azores. I think I told all of you this. Tore checked the date of the supposed VHF signal received in Puerto Rico, May 3rd, 2013. That puts the Lady Domina in the area AFTER the storm that sank the Grain de Soleil.

Of course, witness accounts don't necessarily establish what course was eventually taken, but they can be helpful. I still have hope this boat is going to appear on the horizon soon.

Here is my latest update. http://sailingsavoirfaire.blogspot.com/2013/06/lady-domina-mystery-continues.html

By the way, Craig, my advice is to get this in the PRESS which is not just the internet. Still a longshot, but one never knows.

My best regards to you all!

Tim

so Tim, if you're reading.... and we know you are. peoples lives are on the line here so if you really do have fresh information, share it with us. if not... stop messing with peoples heads, get some help and keep in touch with yourself.
Old 07-06-2013, 17:42   #250
cruiser

Boat: 1987 Tayana 37

Actually, just read this. That was a really unfair slam. I am happy to divulge all relevant information and you are lucky someone was trying to put this together for you. Please talk to Tore.

This is a tough go for all involved and not good for the community, either. We need to pull together, not attack each other.
Old 07-06-2013, 18:16   #251

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Both times Connie and I sailed this route we were hit by semi-bad weather, and were 3 or 4 days south of where we wished to be and with the lack of really good wind, we ended up takeing 48 days one time and 47 the other! So it is getting close to worry time, but it still to early to start crying! Ya just never know how long a cruise is gonna take till ya get there ! Just our 2 cents
Old 07-06-2013, 20:36   #252

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Both times Connie and I sailed this route we were hit by semi-bad weather, and were 3 or 4 days south of where we wished to be and with the lack of really good wind, we ended up takeing 48 days one time and 47 the other! So it is getting close to worry time, but it still to early to start crying! Ya just never know how long a cruise is gonna take till ya get there ! Just our 2 cents
A wise man once told me that there are no 10 minute jobs unless you just finished it in 10 minutes.
Old 07-06-2013, 22:42   #253

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briansfriends View Post
la vida nueva is claiming a report of some contact between Lady Domina and Puerto Rica as recently as the 3rd of May. Unfortunately, and God Knows his reasoning, he is refusing to divulge any details or source this contact. obviously all the evidence points towards him being full of ****, but if there is the slightest possibility of some truth in his claims we need to follow this up.
Briansfriends, the possible VHF contact was reported by a CF member here on this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Pelican View Post
We heard a one sided VHF conversation between US Coast Guard, Puerto Rico and Lady Domina broadcast 3rd May as we were passaging along the Puerto Rico coast.
It seemed Lady Domina was requesting weather information only, certainly not assistance. Their position we presumed was most probably lust north of Puerto Rico. Our interest was piqued because we knew of the boat, her owner and one crew member from our time in Hartman Bay, Grenada. We suggest any interested party contact the US Coast Guard Puerto Rico to see if they may know anything further.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Old 08-06-2013, 06:52   #254

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

att. Blue Pelican..

Please read your private message.

Tore
Old 08-06-2013, 16:12   #255

Hi I am also worried about the fate of the Lady Domina and also the fate of Katie Lee and Oyvind as I am a very old friend and can also contact the lee family if needed please can you update m as to if anyone has any further information from the Puerto rican lifeguard etc... I have asked if any of her uk friends have been contacted but have not as yet contacted the family. Please assist thanks. Donna
Closed Thread