Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2013, 11:58   #151

Boat: 41' ketch
Re: MISSING 75´s.y. LADY DOMINA

Yes, I asked again because he doesn't seem to have a direct relation and started the thread with a rant about requirements and how unseaworthy & unequipped the boat was but now looking at the pictures the boat doesn't look that bad.

It seems very possible to me they could have changed plans and have no idea they should let Sinbad know.

Sinbad also says they were going to motor but does he know that or fact? If they're doing a 2300nm passage and decided to just sail. If they just sail, with headsails & perhaps not much experience it isn't that hard to imagine them making as little as 50nm per day made good - especially if they're not in a hurry and just having fun. It's easy to imagine that passage taking anywhere from 20 -50 days depending on the crews experience and desire to get there fast.

If they had engine problems and are sailing only it's easy to see how it could take that long but is no reason for alarm or forming a search party. It sounds like they had plenty of food and water, the boat looks in reasonably good condition.
Old 13-05-2013, 12:08   #152

Katie Lee posted this on her FB page on 31st March: "On my way, there may be trouble ahead, there may be moonlight and love and romance, so let's face the music and dance". Hopefully we'll be in the Azores in 3 weeks" - that's 6 weeks now!
Old 13-05-2013, 13:41   #153

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

Hi all..

Just for the sake of good order,here is the link to the Norwegian sailing blog:

Vet du noe om Lady Domina? - sorgenfri.com

With a bit of imagination and the use of the Tradukka translator,I am sure you will find the answers to most of your questions.

Tore
Old 13-05-2013, 13:58   #154

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

Why not do some research for yourself De Captain? That is what I´ve had to do,bit by bit,trying to solve the puzzle. If you take the trouble to go through the Norwegian blog,you will find most of your answers.

Here is the latest from the Norwegian press today: Søket etter «Lady Domina»: Etterlyser vrakbilder fra Atlanterhavet - VG Nett

Tore
Old 13-05-2013, 14:11   #155

The cpt of Lady Domina told me (31.mars) they would use 30-40 days to the azores.
Old 13-05-2013, 14:13   #156

I'm not really interested in doing any research - let lone trying to translate a language I don't know and then try to glean bits of information from it.

You posted here asking for help. Myself and several others have come forward trying to help by giving you what information we have as well as trying to inform you that much of the information you put forth is incorrect.

I only knew a bout this thread because I was recently contacted via the internet by someone who is supposedly aboard this boat. That was me trying to help. You seem to have no interest in that or the poster who said they very recently heard the boat near Puerto Rico.

Furthermore I've tried to explain to you all of the normal scenarios that happen all of the time and why there is no reason for the families to be "bereaved" yet.
Old 13-05-2013, 15:23   #157

"Still waiting for a response from Even Vinge who called the Coast Guard at Puerto Rico, and they have confirmed VHF contact with Lady Domina on 2/3 May."

But this is via Google Translate, because none of us speak Norwegian. Trying to glean information from a thread in a foreign language only adds to the misinformation and confusion from people who know nothing about the incident. I might be guilty of this myself, but at least I was able to correct your fuel consumption estimate based on my knowledge of marine diesel engines, which is surely the sort of help you came here for? What more do you want?

This thread has provided you with the only real lead; the VHF contact 10 days ago, which if confirmed would prove that this whole thing is a storm in a teacup. Calling the people who you asked for help 'ignorant bigots' with a 'lust for entertainment' is perhaps a little rude.
Old 13-05-2013, 15:23   #158

Edit: wrote the following before seeing europaflayer's post - it wasn't in reference to his post. It looks like he's posted some info that indicates they're not lost at sea.

The link actually doesn't answer many questions. I read it via google translate so some details could be slightly off (which is why its no help for any of us to try and research this) but:

1. The article says a family member was concerned and sounded the alarm after the boat had been on passage for 22 days on a 2300nm passage. Someone needs to explain to the family that how long a passage takes can vary greatly. After 22 days there was absolutely no reason to be concerned or call for a search.

2. It says they've been searching for the boat but then at the end of the article acknowledge the fact that the passage could take as much as 40-50 days.

Somebody needs to explain to the family that its way to early to be bereaved.
Old 13-05-2013, 15:30   #159

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitenail View Post
The cpt of Lady Domina told me (31.mars) they would use 30-40 days to the azores.
If I am correct (?), it is about 40 days today.

Then why was the boat considered 'missing' already two weeks ago?

To much emotion in this thread.

b.
Old 13-05-2013, 15:33   #160

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Here is the latest from the Norwegian press today: Søket etter «Lady Domina»: Etterlyser vrakbilder fra Atlanterhavet - VG Nett
Tore
Bing translation of this article from Norwegian 'VG Net' published 13.5.13:

Your search for "Lady, Domina": calls for scrap images from the Atlantic

WANTED: Norwegian Anders Mosteid (inset) is on board the yacht "Lady, Domina". Now he, two other Norwegians, a Dane and a fifth person was missing after it was supposed to cross the Atlantic. Photo: BILL DIETRICH/Private (With The PERMISSION Of The Family)

(VG Net) Hovedredningssentralen tries to get more pictures of debris and boat parts, in pursuit of the Norwegian sail skuten who has been missing for 43 days.

The 75 long yacht "Lady, Domina" courses from the Caribbean to put Norway on the 31. in March this year. on april 22, was a worried relatives clamoring after 22 days with no sign of life from the five on board.

Over the weekend, Portuguese authorities shared photos of debris found in the huge search area, in the hope that someone can identify any parts of the boat.

-We are familiar with these pictures and have looked closely at them, "rescue leader at Hovedredningssentralen in southern Norway, Eirik Walle, told VG.

"We have no reason to link the discoveries on the pictures we've seen so far of" Lady, Domina ". There is a lot of debris floating around in the Atlantic. But people who know the boat far better than us can also access those photos now, "he says.

Vast distances

The boat may be in the area stretching from the Cape Verde Islands to the North of Spain, and 500 kilometres out to sea. The boat was not equipped with distress radiobeacon and a rescue Center in Portugal has previously stated told VG that they can't do anything but call for the boat and wait.

At the same time, there has been ongoing search for the Grain de Soleil», which triggered her radiobeacon nøde two days after the "Lady, Domina" was reported missing.

The signal from the transmitter lasted three days before it went out, and it has therefore been sought in a specific area by the French.

The Norwegian hovedredningssentralen hope pictures from this search could yield new answers on the Norwegian boat.

"We are in touch with rescue authorities in the Azores and is trying to get hold of all images that can be taken in the very first searches that went into the area. We have to see if they exist, and then see if they can tell us something, "said Walle.

Their search was not primarily for "Lady, Domina", but after the French boat sent distress signals. It may have been taking pictures of the debris that did not vote on it, but that are important to us.

The five missing on the boat are Norwegian Anders Mosteid (27) from Hurdal, Stian Abrahamsen (29) from Kristiansand, a third (59), skipper and owner of the boat, Dane Brian Fritzner (46) from Copenhagen and English Katie Lee (34) from Stockport.

PHOTO:
WANTED: Brian Fritzner (46) is reported missing by the Danish authorities. He was on board the yacht "Lady, Domina" photo: INTERPOL

-Little facts

Members of the crew should have reported back home that the trip across the Atlantic would take 14 days, but according to the Hovedredningssentralen has it in time before departure has been given very conflicting messages.

-There is little facts and get clear messages about what route they should take. Progress of navigation has been, and is, a problem for us. It's been hard intelligence, said rescue leader and continues:

-There are several relatives who sit with different information. To make an Atlantic crossing, regardless of the route, so the boat has marginally with equipment.

PHOTO:
COORDINATES search: in the French city of Lorient is coordinating friends and family an action after the sailboat "Grain de Soleil." They stay at the same time looking for the Norwegian boat. Photo: Private

Very brief radio contact

The boat should not have had neither the distress radiobeacon or satellite phone. The only transmitter on Board according to Walle was a radio transmitter with a short range.

-They had a VHF, but sends the sends so much only as far as the eye can see. To connect with someone, even though everything on Board was going to be good, they have to — the way another ship or recover under the land. If the transmitter is broken, so they are completely without communication, he said.

-Can the tour have taken so far as 43 days?

-It is just speculation. Theoretically, if they have chosen a southerly route and ended up in a windless zone, then it may take both 40 and 50 days to arrive. They may also have had technical problems, "rescue leader

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Old 13-05-2013, 15:38   #161
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, hoejfed, and whitenail.

Thank you (both) for your informative & constructive input.

Old 13-05-2013, 15:43   #162

Tore, you're doing your best to get some information here. The photographs are possibly not up-to-date and we don't know all the facts. I translated sufficient Norwegian via Google to let me understand what the Norwegian guys are talking about.

I am not concerned about scoring points. One of my friends is on board that boat. I want to know where she is.

Guys, we're simply looking for factual information here. The basic fact is they are overdue in the Azores, especially as she told me they were going to be 21 days at sea.
Old 13-05-2013, 15:47   #163
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: MISSING 75´s.y. LADY DOMINA

Its a common mistake made by 'local' cruisers when they calculate how long a voyage may take... they'll usually take hull speed/cruising speed and divide the distance... as the crow flies..
However as anyone who's done the run will tell you the 'Stream' pushes you W at around 20-30 miles a day so you do an arc passing around 650-750 miles SE of Bermuda... so you can add a coupla 3 hundred miles at least to the crows path of 2200 miles... throw in adverse winds, currents, sea states that can slow the speed down as well... its surprising how time stacks up...
Sinbad... you have to take the rough with the smooth...
its the internet FFS...
but I still think its early days to be planning funerals..
I've done quite a few crossings of 2000+ miles and its rare I've made the ETA guesstimated at departure..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 13-05-2013, 16:14   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post
"Venter fremdeles paa svar fra Even Vinge som ringte kystvakten paa Puerto Rico,og om de har bekreftet VHF kontakten med Lady Domina den 2/3 mai."

Translating to:

"Still waiting for a response from Even Vinge who called the Coast Guard at Puerto Rico, and they have confirmed VHF contact with Lady Domina on 2/3 May."

But this is via Google Translate, because none of us speak Norwegian.
As someone that does speak Norwegian, I have to point out that Google Translate is wrong. Should say "... Coast Guard in Puerto Rico, IF they have confirmed VHF contact... ".
Old 13-05-2013, 16:15   #165

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
If I am correct (?), it is about 40 days today.

Then why was the boat considered 'missing' already two weeks ago?

To much emotion in this thread.

b.
I am with Barnakiel on this one. It is about 2200nm from St Maartin to the Azores. If the captain maintained a relatively decent course and a 4 - 5 kt average speed, then 40 - 50 days would be a good ball park figure for such a trip. As has been pointed out before, lack of wind, or adverse winds might make it a longer trip still.