Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 02:39   #46
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: MISSING 75´s.y. LADY DOMINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Hope they all make it, but in a ‘ship of fools’, I don’t really consider one crew member more foolish than another.
That's harsh - but true.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:21   #47
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
That said, if we as a country insist on SR because we are civilized then it should be without reservation. The whining by intelligent people about wasting resources should stop.
I fully agree, Rescue is not confined to the well equipped
Old 07-05-2013, 05:40   #48

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
The French flagged sailing vessel Grain de Soleil with a three man crew was also reported in distress and missing some 500 miles from the Azores.
Yes. There is another thread about.

There is one more there, which makes three and I believe there may (should?) be an intensive/extensive SAR going on because the French did press the button.

Does anybody know a link to the responsible SAR website?

b.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:07   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Airline pilots are carrying passengers for hire. If this vessel was carrying passengers for hire, most of the equipment mentioned would have been required. Let us hope that we never get to the point that we have FAA type control over our noncommercial cruising boats. I truly hope that this boat shows up safely, but to create a bunch of rules that will run us like a communist government, is not what any of us need. Many opinions may be at odds with me, but freedom of the seas is important.______Grant.

Its not Just Airline Pilots that are required to do this. Being a pilot myself, I would say that over 90% of all aircraft flying are required to have some sort of tracking capability. These are Known as transponders.. Each one has a specific code that you punch in that shows your relationship to all other traffic in the sky... This is a WELCOMED technology in aviation because it keeps us safe!! The Air Traffic Controllers help out with see and avoid Traffic to keep us from Mid Air Collisions. If we are flying in Less than perfect weather, then we are required to file what is called an "Instrument Flight Plan" This is a must... And it keeps everybody safe... Helps them know where you are, and helps you know where you are... 100% of all Airline Operations are conducted under and Instrument Flight Plan and MOST of all commercial operations when it comes to passenger transport.

ALthough I agree about the amount of government regulations and Big Brother watching is all the time, there are cases and situations where this is a safety net and very welcomed....

This is must my 2cents...
Old 07-05-2013, 06:35   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

A reminder to posters, Cruisers Forum is in English only and postings in another language will be removed. Some post have been deleted.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:46   #51

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Call Bermuda Harbour Radio, 441-297-1010. They have a very long reach, and may know something about the boat.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:38   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1977 Pearson 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorG View Post
Its not Just Airline Pilots that are required to do this. Being a pilot myself, I would say that over 90% of all aircraft flying are required to have some sort of tracking capability. These are Known as transponders.. Each one has a specific code that you punch in that shows your relationship to all other traffic in the sky... And it keeps everybody safe... Helps them know where you are, and helps you know where you are... 100% of all Airline Operations are conducted under and Instrument Flight Plan and MOST of all commercial operations when it comes to passenger transport.
Correction: Transponders are not required in Class D, Class E or Class G airspace. In other words, most of the sky.

An ELT is installed in most general aviation planes and is supposed to transmit a signal in the event of a crash.

General aviation pilots in the US are not required to file flight plans when flying under visual flight rules and are not required to check in with anyone when leaving or arriving at different airports.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:08   #53

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

On the subject of only rescuing the well equipped- My wife was in the USCG at small boat stations for 4 years. In those 4 years she and her crew NEVER rescued a well equipped vessel with an experienced crew except once, when the Navy Seals decided to try to exit the harbor in 35 foot breaking waves. It didn't work.
It can and does happen, but not very often.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:23   #54

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

As a starter/moderator of this thread,may I respectfully ask the posters to stay on the subject: a missing sailboat with 5 crew members,all with very anxious and worried families and friends.

If you don´t have anything to contribute towards the discovery and rescue of this vessel,please open another thread on the pro´s and con´s of rescue equipment to be carried on board.

Tore
Old 07-05-2013, 10:12   #55
Armchair Bucketeer

A) you are not the moderator of this thread
B) you started it (the discussion on what others "should do" ).

I appreciate that you may be worried about freinds / family onboard (a bit unclear if that is actually the case), but nonetheless on a forum a thread bump from any direction still counts......otherwise the story slides off into oblivion.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:57   #56

Here is the latest wind forecast for the mid Atlantic.

Depending where they are located,there is a belt of adverse wind direction to the North of the Azores and an advantageous narrow belt of wind to the South Of the Azores. Both running parallel in a SW and NE direction.
No strong winds for the area.

I am sure sensible people will take the hint...

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Atlantic 7 May.png
Views:	347
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	60495  
Old 07-05-2013, 11:14   #57

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Specifically which honorific shall I use when addressing you, kind sir? Your Honor? Your Grace? My Lord? My King?
If it pleases you to do so, chose one so that a lowly beast such as I might fail to offend you.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:31   #58

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Here is the latest wind forecast for the mid Atlantic.

Depending where they are located,there is a belt of adverse wind direction to the North of the Azores and an advantageous narrow belt of wind to the South Of the Azores. Both running parallel in a SW and NE direction.
No strong winds for the area.
Tore
Please advise what the point of this post is. Do you want someone to plot probable scenarios? Consider that they are at least 15 days overdue. You put out a request for information. What more do you want us to do?
Old 07-05-2013, 12:53   #59

This posting was meant to collect relevant information as to the disappearance of Lady Domina and to keep interested readers informed of the latest developments.
My last post was informative, to show the possible wind situation in the area they might be located. They have actually been missing for 37 days now.

"I am sure sensible people will take the hint..." the others obviously didn´t!

Tore

P.S. Steve .. My #54 above was not specifically in response to your #53 which was very interesting and relevant. Cool it guys!!
Old 07-05-2013, 13:11   #60

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
This posting was meant to collect relevant information as to the disappearance of Lady Domina and to keep interested readers informed of the latest developments.
My last post was informative, to show the possible wind situation in the area they might be located. They have actually been missing for 37 days now.

"I am sure sensible people will take the hint..." the others obviously didn´t!

Tore

P.S. Steve .. My #54 above was not specifically in response to your #53 which was very interesting and relevant. Cool it guys!!
Tore your math is a little squishy here. If passage to the Azores were to take 14 days then technically they have been overdue for 23 days. If one allows a 30% variation in speed then they are overdue by about 19 or 20 days. Admittedly this number is cause for serious concern.
Closed Thread