Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2013, 14:56   #481

Re: Missing 75´s.y. Lady Domina

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitenail View Post
don't want to flood this thread so i'll be short
I don't think this is a sofa from LD. last i saw her she only had leather sofas
Actually I was surprised how clean it was..Remember we were looking for 'stuff'. Where they brown 'suede' sofas?
Old 18-06-2013, 15:12   #482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking66 View Post
Actually I was surprised how clean it was..Remember we were looking for 'stuff'. Where they brown 'suede' sofas?
no brown suede ...either :-)
Old 18-06-2013, 15:53   #483
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Surely the. Time has come to close this thread , whatever purpose it has served, it has surely done so by now. There's nothing new or concrete here for months and its filled with conjecture , half baked notions and wild speculation.

Any help can be forwarded to the families directly

Dave
Old 18-06-2013, 16:19   #484

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

goboatingnow...

That´s a bit brutal do´nt you think? The thread was only started 2 May and there may still be things to discover. You do´nt HAVE to visit this thread. Forget about it and get about your business.

Tore
Old 18-06-2013, 16:21   #485

For those interested,the sofa was covered in dark brown leather but we do´nt know what it was filled with. If closed foam or similar it WILL float..

Tore
Old 18-06-2013, 16:45   #486
cruiser

Boat: 1987 Tayana 37

I finally got a little more information about Stian Abrahamsen. Like Anders Mosteid, this was a youth who had no idea what he was getting into. He simply lacked the skill level to realize the dangers of going to sea without an epirb and basic equipment. Geils Mosteid indicated he hoped, if nothing else, young people could learn to assess their risks a little better as a result of this incident. I am paraphrasing. Also, I am not attempting to comment on decisions made by the Captain of the LD in making his own decisions. Instead, when volunteering for crew, perhaps it is wise to have a basic punch list of things to check out before making a final decision. "What is your experience level?" Oeyvind was known to be an accomplished sailor; "What emergency equipment do you carry?..." within the answer should be a punch list of basics. Just a point of view, but it is the inexperience of these youths that has motivated me to participate with my heart.
Old 18-06-2013, 17:21   #487

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

As I have said before: two of the most dangerous acts on a yacht are for a skipper to take on unknown crew and for crew to go aboard an unknown vessel.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 18-06-2013, 17:47   #488
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by la vida nueva View Post
I finally got a little more information about Stian Abrahamsen. Like Anders Mosteid, this was a youth who had no idea what he was getting into. He simply lacked the skill level to realize the dangers of going to sea without an epirb and basic equipment. Geils Mosteid indicated he hoped, if nothing else, young people could learn to assess their risks a little better as a result of this incident. I am paraphrasing. Also, I am not attempting to comment on decisions made by the Captain of the LD in making his own decisions. Instead, when volunteering for crew, perhaps it is wise to have a basic punch list of things to check out before making a final decision. "What is your experience level?" Oeyvind was known to be an accomplished sailor; "What emergency equipment do you carry?..." within the answer should be a punch list of basics. Just a point of view, but it is the inexperience of these youths that has motivated me to participate with my heart.
This I understand and agree with..Wish the folks aboard the S/V LadyD all the best ...
Old 19-06-2013, 03:08   #489
cruiser

Boat: 1987 Tayana 37

It has come to my attention a bees nest of rumors and innuendo, well mostly rumors, are floating about who I am and what my intentions are. It is pointless to do battle and counter-productive to a positive resolution to this disappearance. For those who have really taken the time to come to know me, you know I am not the type to make a buck on the tragic losses of others. Lord, I have had enough losses of my own to know how that feels.

Those of you who have shared information with me have been a big help in developing early leads, especially in retracing steps, and I thank you. I encourage you all to continue focusing on details, memories, anything that may bring a solution. Wow,yesterday we thought an off-hand remark about a couch was going to solve this. Kudos to Viking who had the couch sighting well documented including lattitude and longitude. The good news is it was not the right couch, which means there is still hope. My understanding is there were SIX MONTHS of provisions on the boat. Hope I got that right. No matter the emergency equipment I have concluded these were good people and my heart goes out to them and their families. Thanks for all of your contributions. Tim
Old 19-06-2013, 03:36   #490
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by la vida nueva View Post
So, what is this?

FWIW this is quite clearly a fishing buoy. Really old and the orange is very faded. But if you look closely you can even see the toggle hanging in the water.

Some of use them as fenders as they are good for rough commercial docks.
Old 19-06-2013, 04:05   #491
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Missing 75´s.y. Lady Domina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemansailor View Post
"I think 72 days is the record in a modern life raft."

NOPE-

Actually the record is 117 days in a life raft by Maurice and Maralyn Bailey in 1973!
Well there ya go... I thunk wrong...
Bludi memory... shuda googled...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-06-2013, 04:42   #492
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
I am going to ignore all the smart ass remarks here,as any sailing man with brains understands what I am doing here. I can not answer for others.
Every statement can be taken at least 2 ways... how you or anyone else chose's to take mine is your/their choice...

Keep your tough salty sea guy remarks to your favorite waterside bar, I do´nt think your particular ´black humor´ amuses the families of the missing crew.
Old man... having lost a friend or two at sea myself over the years you'd be surprised how much a tad of 'Black Humour' can raise the spirit sometimes... but guess you'd have to have experienced it to know

Rather than throwing out the final reed of flowers in the Atlantic in memory of LD,we prefer to look under every stone. Puerto Rico is NOT a myth,but a fact confirmed by the USCG where LD reports departure from San Juan 5 April.

I do´nt know how much credibility YOU put in the report from Blue Pelican overhearing VHF traffic between LD and the USCG on 5 May, are you suggesting we IGNORE such reports?
Have not seen any 'Official Notice' of LD clearing out of Puerto Rico... just a report of a one way conversation 'thought to be' between LD and the CG... if they cleared out of Puerto Rico... how long were they there and was a ZARPE issued... you need one to clear into your next port of call..

There was also a posting here a couple of days ago from Viking66 sailing in the vicinity of Horta,Axores,sighting a drifting sofa of all things. Strangely enough,the Danish wife of Brian just told me the LD actually DID have TWO normal sofas installed down below... I asked for information as to WHEN this observation was made,but so far I have no idea. Do you suggest we close our eyes to also to THIS sighting and cast the reed??
I've seen all sorts of stuff out there.. commercial freezers, giant tractor tyres, sofa's, bouys, hell I've even seen drifting green channel markers 1500 miles from land...

Seems the observation was made at the end of the trans-Atlantic race from the Caribbean to the Azores 2-22 May,so it COULD very well have been one of the sofas belonging to LD which have been drifting around for some time. Perhaps Viking66 remembers the COLOR of the sofa? I know this must sound hilariously funny to the´Black humor gang´ but please try to restrain yourself.

Tore
Believe you me... I'm as keen as anyone else that they are found safe but this is not on the land where everything stays put...
everything is subject to wind and current and vision is restricted to 3-4 miles... on a calm day... less when the sea is up so coming across anything is pretty much down to chance.
We had a picture of a bouy/float posted like some kind of evidence... there's thousands.... millions of identical bouys in the world.. some are lost at sea every day... if it had LD written on it then yes... its evidence... but as it is its meaningless.
Okay... as to the 'Black Humour'... you have got to experience certain aspects of life to understand it... clearly something you lack
I'll not try and explain the mentality of myself and some of those who's help you are seeking and leave you to bumble round like a headless chicken..

Best Wishes to the families involved...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-06-2013, 04:50   #493

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemansailor
"I think 72 days is the record in a modern life raft."

NOPE-

Actually the record is 117 days in a life raft by Maurice and Maralyn Bailey in 1973!

And don't forget Poon Lim. Not a modern raft (his was wooden) -- but he lasted 133 days.

Poon Lim - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 19-06-2013, 07:17   #494

boatman61

Your comments speak for themselves as anyone will observe,just correcting you on the point of the departure report from San Juan 5 April. This was confirmed by email from the USCG to the Danish Coastguard.

Having grown up by the sea in Norway and sailed the seven seas as a commercial ship´s captain, 20 years yachting in the UK and finally as a charter skipper on my 60´ motoryacht in Norway before retiring to Brazil,I think I can say I have sufficient experience to recognize ´black humour´ when I see it. Only do´nt display it here where the families of the bereaved can see it.

Tore
Old 19-06-2013, 07:53   #495
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
boatman61

Your comments speak for themselves as anyone will observe,just correcting you on the point of the departure report from San Juan 5 April. This was confirmed by email from the USCG to the Danish Coastguard.

Having grown up by the sea in Norway and sailed the seven seas as a commercial ship´s captain, 20 years yachting in the UK and finally as a charter skipper on my 60´ motoryacht in Norway before retiring to Brazil,I think I can say I have sufficient experience to recognize ´black humour´ when I see it. Only do´nt display it here where the families of the bereaved can see it.

Tore
Sir... while you may 'allegedly' have made Laskars jump..
I am not a Laskar... and my posts are subject to moderation by the Moderator's and not some Commercial Member sat in Brazil.
If Brians friends had said something I'd pay heed.. but from here its starting to look like a bandwagon for sundry CM's to jump on.
The next 'Missing at Sea' you start try looking at ocean currents etc and don't just take a ruler and draw a straight line from A to B... she's not likely to have been doing 15knots
I am now out of here... so post what you like.. Captain

Closed Thread