Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 09:38   #16

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: MISSING 75´s.y. LADY DOMINA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
They have a 75' boat and stocked enough fuel to get across the Atlantic and you're saying they shouldn't dropped $1000 on a used mainsail?

These aren't some 25 year old kids in a 25' Catalina with a shoestring budget. These guys spent plenty of money, it seems like they just spent it poorly.

Exactly!! This guys spend a fortune in a Old Dry Dock in martinique, spend lots of money in fix it aka plenty of corrosion , welding etc.. the owner is a profesional welder, later more cash to fix licenses and bla bla, never see the Dry Dock in bussines, no profit, one day the owner decide to Tow the dry dock to Dominica and try there for business, more Big Cash, the tow and more corrupted licenses in Dominica , i guess this Couple get tired of the Caribbean and all the corruption burocratic BS around and choose to move to Home with the boat, sad that with all the money trashed in the windwards and lewards dont have some cash left for a mainsail, if i remember the rigging is old galvanized rusty spliced wire , and most of the boat interior is a huge workshop, tools, welding stuff, etc... if the engine broke im sure is able to fix it... just figurate!!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:46   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

If she was a commerical vessel then she likely does have a requirment to carry and do much of what OP suggests. Depending on flag.

But if simply a pleasure craft the onus lies firmly with all those onboard to make sure they are not getting on something that will end badly. and if you don't know then yer don't get on - or ask yer mum. Being cheap or conveniant is not an excuse for not using brain.

Yer wouldn't get in a rusty old banger with a stranger and little equipment to cross a desert off road would you? You would? well.........better off sticking with the Disney and X-Box "experiance".
Old 06-05-2013, 10:07   #18

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

Ms. Ray or Rayallin whatever...

Comments like this was bound to come. If you can´t protect your own and your crew´s safety,why should other people expend care and efforts searching for you when things go wrong owing to your own lack of foresight? This boat is said to have provisions for 6 months,wouldn´t it be better to have saved $ 100.- for a Globalstar SPOT gps/satellite tracker? A second hand main sail would not have set you back too much either. At least you´d have some sort of propulsion should the engine fail.

Having been laid up in Martinique in a dock for years prior to the journey,I wonder what state the engine could have been in? Was it properly maintained,did they have spare parts and filters? Takes a lot out of an engine to be running on a 7/24 basis for weeks. Neilpride,your posting says it all!!

My answer to you is,if you can´t afford proper safety measures,don´t do it. You boat does not have to be luxurious and you can survive on rice and beans,but do´nt dice with safety!

Tore
Old 06-05-2013, 10:13   #19

Sorry i dont be clear in my previous post, i mean this couple buy a Huge Dry Dock to make bussines around, no idea if the boat is hauled out of the water in all this years...
Old 06-05-2013, 10:22   #20

Neilpride.. Who are ´This couple´? Øyvind Slettvold and Kati Lee?

Tore
Old 06-05-2013, 10:30   #21

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
Situations like this should never be allowed to happen. It should be obligatory for ALL vessels traversing the oceans of the world to be properly equipped with communications devices,reporting their track at regular intervals. EPIRB and life rafts should be obligatory. It should also be obligatory to report every intended,deep sea crossings to the departing harbor authority with time/date of departure as well as intended next port of call, equipment carried on board as well as a crew list.

This is done by thousands of airline pilots every day around the world,it should not be any different for pleasure craft. This to avoid such headless searches in the dark by search and rescue bodies who are not even sure which route the vessel has taken,wasting our resources un-neccessarily.

If you can´t afford or are not willing to take the necessary safety precautions you should not start the journey.

Tore
I think we should limits on how much an individual can be overweight. It is well known that overweight people waste our health care resources un-necessarily. Hell, let's not let people make their own decisions. We can put decision making in the hands of folks that know better.

BTW, in all seriousness I am not against doing away with search and rescue. That said, if we as a country insist on SR because we are civilized then it should be without reservation. The whining by intelligent people about wasting resources should stop.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:41   #22

LakeSuperior... Your comments speak for themselves. No comments!

Tore
Old 06-05-2013, 10:53   #23

Yes Kati Audrey Lee and dont remember the name of their husband , from Norway.
I meet this guys 6 years agoo in Martinique....
Old 06-05-2013, 11:02   #24

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Sinbad,

Where do you stop...sails too old, hull inspections, bronze only seacocks, mandatory H2O reserve (more for folks with water makers.), radio must be less that 2 years old, radio inspection before leaving, backup radio, backup EPIRB, on and on before one is certified to leave port to cross an ocean.

I think the better system is to let folks make their own decisions on the amount of risk they want to assume. I don't want folks like you imposing your standards on a fool like myself.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:13   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Sinbad,

Where do you stop...sails too old, hull inspections, bronze only seacocks, mandatory H2O reserve (more for folks with water makers.), radio must be less that 2 years old, radio inspection before leaving, backup radio, backup EPIRB, on and on before one is certified to leave port to cross an ocean.

I think the better system is to let folks make their own decisions on the amount of risk they want to assume. I don't want folks like you imposing your standards on a fool like myself.

There is a saying like this: be ready for the worst and hope for the best, there is a diference in have the gun barrel with 2 bullets or full of bullets.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:27   #26

If you´re playing Russian Roulette I´d rather have a gun barrel with 2 bullets...
If on the other hand you´re crossing the Atlantic,I´d rather have the barrel full of drinking water and other necessary survival ammunition....

Tore
(Joking apart)
Old 06-05-2013, 11:45   #27

Boat: Colin Archer 36', steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad7 View Post
The 75´motor sailer Lady Domina left St.Martin 31 March with a presumed course for the Azores,a distance of some 2.235 nm and has since not been seen or heard from. The relations and friends are anxious to have news about their whereabouts.

She has a 220 hp diesel but no working sails other than an old foresail and does around 5-6 knots under power.

The boat is self built some 16 years ago in grp and the hull colour is black.
She carries a South African flag in the starboard stay,although there is no evidence that she is registered there.

She is captained by a Norwegian plus a crew of another two Norwegian nationals,one Dane and a British female.

She has apparently been sailing around in the Caribbean for some years so I am certain someone here has encountered the vessel at some time.

Please forward any information to me: tore.christiansen()gmail.com

Tore
Not sure if I overlooked this or not, but Tore, what is your relevance to this vessel and crew? Financial? Emotional? Just curious.

When was last point of contact? At departure? Have you checked drift currents. Perhaps they altered course to Canaries? Or Cape Verde? You mention their presumed destination only.

I am sure we all hope crew is found alive and well.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:06   #28

Crimea Cruiser..

My relevance is just trying to help another Norwegian in trouble.. I offer marine consultancy as a Port Agent in Costa Verde - Brazil for boats visiting Brazil.

I first heard of this missing boat from a special Norwegian blog for boaters:
Vet du noe om Lady Domina? - sorgenfri.com

Sorry,most is in Norwegian but I am sure you can use a translator (Tradukka) if you are interested in following the history of events.

Sure, they could have gone ANYWHERE,but the target WAS the Azores where they were also picking up a 6th crew member from Denmark.

There is a full SAR in effect where the Portuguese coast guard is the co-ordinator.

We all hope they are safe and sound somewhere.

Tore
Old 06-05-2013, 13:44   #29

Rather than chatting about what these guys have or have not done to ready themselves for a transatlantic voyage, can we get back to the matter of more importance now. I think Tore is looking for information regarding the crew, ie who they are, what nationality etc. Safety equipment is of paramount important obviously, but hindsight is a great thing! I am aware of a British girl on the boat and am trying to contact her Dad who may or may not be in the Panama area at the moment. His boat is called "Raven Eye". His name is Peter Lee. Any information please post here.
Old 06-05-2013, 14:30   #30

Has anyone tried to contact the new crew in the Azores? I am not sure if you even know him or her. I am just grasping at straws. My sympathies go to the family and friends. I hope everything works out. You all will be in prayers. Good luck.
Closed Thread