Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-02-2016, 17:45   #1

Miami to Exumas

First time sailors to the Bahamas on a 380 Lagoon Cat from Miami (Biscayne Bay) to Exumas. We're in the process of planning our route, as we provision and wait for a weather window. Would really appreciate detailed suggestions. We'd like to be in Georgetown (depending on weather), by mid-march. Thanks for any replies!

Meloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 17:51   #2

Re: Miami to Exumas

I have not done this yet, so I say how excellent for you. Have a great trip. I hope to be where you are in 12 months or so.

lindabarzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 18:07   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I go from Key Biscayne (cape florida channel) to Bimini and check in there. I then go from Bimini to Morgan's Bluff or Chub depending on the winds. I then round West Bay and head to Highbourne Cay. From Highbourne then to Big Majors Spot or Black Point, then from there to Georgetown. Each of those is a day trip except from Bimini to Chub or Morgans Bluff which is 18-20 hours on winds and weather and a window when you are not pounding into the waves. I did make chub in 13 hours once but the winds were almost perfect for my boat. I also assume that if you are trying to make a certain date your are willing to burn enough diesel either motoring or motor sailing to hold 6 knots. If the weather cooperates and you have enough time there are things to see along the way and you don't have to push it that fast. Get the Explorer Chart Books and use the suggested routes and way points. The weather has sucked this year. The El Nino has really caused problems and weather windows are short and you must move when you can. We crossed on Feb 1 and arrived in Georgetown yesterday and only missed one day when we could have moved but didn't. Good Luck.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 14:29   #4

Captain Bil - Thank you for the info. Really appreciate hearing from someone who has experience.

Linda: Good luck!
Meloney is offline   Reply With Quote

exumas, miami

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: